Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?  (Read 10698 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 05:24:04 am »

Customisable raw tags.

Entirely defeats the point of having raws, doesn't it?

Unless you mean shortcuts for combining multiple tags, which we already can do.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 06:51:00 am »

Would like to see more bugfixes and maybe interface improvements.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 04:35:24 am »

Everything I want is to see is bugfixes, ESV  and on the devlist, which is all already in the works to one extent or another.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:56 am »

Would be nice if mining from 2D would return in a way. Mining stone wasn't as fast as ore and wouldn't always create stone when mined.

Also, a new way to mine where dwarves create a room but try their very best not to create any stone. Would be nice if I could make huge rooms and so on without leaving behind hundreds or thousands pieces of rock that eat away my precious FPS. Make the mining leave behind rubble or something that has to be cleaned.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 11:50:38 pm »

User interface improvements.  Make the controls more intuitive.

Bugfixes/optimization as well of course.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 12:35:16 am »

Customisable raw tags.

Entirely defeats the point of having raws, doesn't it?

Unless you mean shortcuts for combining multiple tags, which we already can do.
Well, more raw tags, then. Like the [CAN_STRANGLE] thing, or maybe something to let us add extra crafting categories, like painting or pottery.
くコ:彡

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »

I would really like that Lavos type thing. DAY OF URIST, 1050! Society crumbled as Urist rode (like a cow boy) a meteorite into the region, causing a second ice age. Then your fort could be made to create food during these desperate times.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:12:42 pm by Toast024 »
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 04:42:31 pm »

Nothing much to add to Toady One's to-do list, but some sort of sword-belt mechanic would be nice, especially since weapons are going to become breakable in the near future. Natural disasters like flooding, earthquakes or landslides would also be cool.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 02:37:39 pm »

Volcanoes and magma pipes need fixing.  I don't so much care about the perfectly vertical walls, but the tube worm style pipes coming out of the mountainside need to be fixed.  Also, if there's any way to bring chasms and pits back that would be great.  Perhaps rather than being bottomless they simply end in cavern layer 3 or the magma sea.

Also, a way to designate forbidden areas, either through traffic zones or "anti-burrows", so that there's less of a metagame for building enclosed spaces or complicated structures without losing dwarfs. 

I'm pretty sure they won't make it in, but if things like superfast plate tectonics or meteorites are added, an init option to turn them off would be nice.

And though this has been discussed before, we really should go back to having channels rather than an alternate way to designate ramps.  There are a lot of situations I run into where I end up with ramps I can't get rid of and don't want.  If they're too much of a siege-breaker, then it's time to make siegers build bridges or fill the channels with logs or dirt or something.  Channeling was a very important tool for fortress design, and the ramp-designator-in-disguise is one of the worst remaining downgrades in .32.

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:14 pm »

... If they're too much of a siege-breaker, then it's time to make siegers build bridges or fill the channels with logs or dirt or something...
The former is actually going to be happening.

(Edited for improved coherence.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:36:12 pm by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »

I would like to see more machinery to take advantage of wind and water power.  Lifts and mine cart systems come immediately to mind.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Grelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:29 pm »

1) Dworfs who sleep in their own damn beds.
2) Optimization.
3) The ability to prioritize certain actions, (Hey Urist McFucknuts, go pull that lever NOW before magma floods us all!)
4) Being able to strangle things with their own guts.
Someone stole my profile.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 09:30:19 pm »

+1 Natural Disasters

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 01:12:43 am »

Apart from bugfixes, I hope someday you can rename/erase/move newly generated world-files from within the game.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 02:08:29 am »

From the less-is-more school of thought, here's what I'd like to see happen.

* A much more streamlined interface; clump similar commands together under more intuitive headings, and make more use of sub-screens
* Clumping together of similar jobs under related skillsets (how does it make sense that a legendary mason who can carve the most intricately detailed statue of fluffy wamblers known to Dwarfkind can't figure out the logistics of stone carving?)
* A priority system which is both intuitive by default and player-changeable
* Many, many, MANY more automated functions
* Failed tasks resulting in suspend-until-possible-again actions instead of suspend-indefinitely or cancel-outright
* The ability to designate which message types you want to be logged for announcements specifically (this would solve a lot of annoying "cancel spam" problems)
* A streamlined stockpile system that allows stockpiles to be limited to use by specific types of workshops (or specific built workshops), with a forced-priority of taking from said stockpiles when working from that workshop
* The ability to reserve barrels/bins being relevantly tied to the above system so that you can, for example, force a still's stockpile to aim for X empty barrels at all times solely for use by that still (or all stills)
* An un-editable auto-burrow for all underground areas dug out by your Dwarves, designated as Default Burrow or somesuch; this would emulate the old "stay indoors" order very efficiently without a lot of trouble for players in a hurry
* The ability to define what direction things are built in; not just for wall/floor/etc. constructions, but also for when you're setting up workshops
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7