Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Massive *SPOILER* (and awesomeness)  (Read 200489 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Massive *SPOILER* (and awesomeness)
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:09 pm »

This is just so awesome to read about. I'm still a newb (thanks in part to RL troubles and reluctance to figure out how to make a decent military), but I'd always hoped that someone would prove that it's really possible to conquer the clowns. Gives me a goal to shoot for after I get all the regular skills.

Idea, regarding the toxic squirrel demon blood: Magma flood to purge, pump out the magma, and then flood the area to create a serene tower cap orchard/wild mushroom garden/livestock ranch. Make sky blue microcline/ice/adamantine ceilings with a big yellow diamond sun. Then bring an elf down to inform him that he's in Hell. Watch his brain break.

I haven't looked at the save, so I don't know how feasible it is to magma purge the contaminated areas.

...I love this game.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2010, 02:28:12 am »

Then bring an elf down to inform him that he's in Hell. Watch his brain break.

I wrote a story about that very thing :) Nice to know others have the same idea.

I haven't looked at the save, so I don't know how feasible it is to magma purge the contaminated areas.

...I love this game.
Magma doesn't help. All demons are magma-proof so they won't burn, and all magma-proof equipment soiled with their blood keeps all the stains. I'm not sure, but I think even spatterings on the ground were unaffected. Making obsidian would work, of course, but mostly I was just interested in reclaiming the equipment since I have two artifact weapons out there, but I gave up.

Edit: By the way, I haven't had immigrants in about four years. Is there a finite number of entities? Is my civ all spent?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:35:54 am by Vaftrudner »

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2010, 08:16:33 am »

I hope you don't mind, OP, but I have taken after your example and begun my own fortress in hell.  :D

I'm not sure what factors contributed to it, but in hell after the breech no more than 3 demons spawn down there. Perhaps it's a mix of the 4 chestnut demons that are hanging out at Z+22 and that I embarked on a civ? I'm reasonably sure my demon number hasn't been tweaked, but I am playing the DnD mod.

I have yet to need military and only have lost 5 dwarves to demons when I was building the living quarters. ???

Pics to say it happened
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2010, 06:05:24 pm »

wall off the edges of hell, cover up the glowing pits, an fil the whole place with magma! burn this damned world!
Im wondering. Lets say you "fail" at channeling with magma and now its flowing above the volcano/river, and is spreading around the land where you embarked. Its a total disaster, and you've gotta abandon the fortress.

Could it somehow later affect the world for example when you're playing adventure mode? So that the whole world, or region around that abandoned fortress is still spreading with magma, and after lets say 100 years the whole world is just a one big volcano.
You know... Villages just waiting for total destruction from the magma thats moving slowly towards them, and other fortresses getting flooded with magma, and the hundreds of dwarves/goblins/olm mans dying in them from the inside, with no route to escape.
Can such things happen? ;O
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:34:54 pm by Kessadir »

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2010, 05:43:52 am »

I'm not sure what factors contributed to it, but in hell after the breech no more than 3 demons spawn down there. Perhaps it's a mix of the 4 chestnut demons that are hanging out at Z+22 and that I embarked on a civ? I'm reasonably sure my demon number hasn't been tweaked, but I am playing the DnD mod.
Odd. Sometimes the demons spawn at another adamantine vein, but they should be upon you in days if that's the case. I'm not familiar with DnD, what does it do?

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2010, 06:56:23 am »

Is it possible to create a river running through hell?

I know there is some exploit that can be used to dig slade out, so that could be used.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2010, 07:20:34 am »

Is it possible to create a river running through hell?

I know there is some exploit that can be used to dig slade out, so that could be used.
Slade can be channeled, but it doesn't really do anything. It creates an open space on the level you dug, but there's still a slade wall under it. The open space is impassable for walking creatures, but fluids run on top of it. If you look at the pictures of my finished fort, I dug channels for the magma but they didn't work so I had to build walls around the flow.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2010, 07:25:04 am »

You can designate a ramp instead of channeling. That will actually mine the stuff out. Unfortunately, it only works on unrevealed tiles.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2010, 07:57:29 am »

Consider investing in a hell-chimney, to let those flying demons get some fresh air. Seal off your above-ground exits and turn your fortress into an evil citadel, slaying all passing caravans and the resultant sieges.
I wonder if caravans come in or exit through hell? I've had caravans exit through caves at least, but none come in that way.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »

You have won dwarf fortress. Holy shit I think my brain just broke.
Edit: Make a network of hell forts so an adventurer could find safe haven while traveling through hell. Just release some caged tribe animals, like olm men or something, right before you abandon, so that the fort would still have habitants.
Edit2: Better yet, mod in some deep dwarves in place of a tribal animal so that the fort would still have dwarves in it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:07:31 pm by Urist McKing »
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2010, 06:26:21 am »

Make a dining room in hell and yell "THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!!"

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2010, 08:06:39 am »

Odd. Sometimes the demons spawn at another adamantine vein, but they should be upon you in days if that's the case. I'm not familiar with DnD, what does it do?
As far as I know the only thing that the DnD mod has is extra brewables and DnD monsters like the beholder and such (never seen hide nor hair of the new critters thought...) I do have a new problem of sorts because there is a skinless zebra FB that has a habit of being near where I need when I consider expanding the annex.

In related news, all dwarves now have a room in the hell apartment and it has mostly been furnished. ONWARD TO THE DINING ROOM
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2010, 07:26:49 pm »

You need to make a single hole from the surface to the lowest point possible a well and thus have a well to hell.

Though I suppose elf Dumping from top to a crack in the bottom of the top floor of hell is fine.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2010, 08:08:12 pm »

There is only one problem with colonizing hell is that a even greater enemy awaits...
BOREDOM!!!!
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »

You could dig a pit to the magma sea, drain a section of it, floor it over and wall it off, and build a tower from Hell to Heaven.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18