Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Massive *SPOILER* (and awesomeness)  (Read 199022 times)

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
Re: Massive *SPOILER* (and awesomeness)
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2010, 11:56:56 am »

That is probably one of the funniest things I have seen on this site. Once you get a full fort going down there you should put it up to the df legends hall in stories, for the sheer hardcoreness of it.
Can demons be caught in cage traps? And do they breed?

Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2010, 12:09:33 pm »

How did you bring the water down into hell? Temporarily converted the shaft into a water chute, or bucket brigade? Or did you have a second pillar that you could use as well?

I considered having a fort in hell on my last one, but my plans were too grand. I was going to wall off all entrances with clear glass blocks, but after learning demons (if they can fly) can still wander in from above the glowing pits, the scale of work involved just depressed me. This was additionally complicated by having only one pillar entrance into my hell, and it seemed to much work converting my one and only entrance into a magma chute, water chute, and regular entrance together.

Perhaps next time I get around to attempting it, I'll use stone instead of glass and only wall off sections at a time.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2010, 01:33:25 pm »

Can demons be caught in cage traps?
Only if webbed. That's an interesting possibility, by the way: if we could cage a few packs of demons, they would stop coming.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »

if we could cage a few packs of demons, they would stop coming.
Why? Is there some limit on maximum amount of creatures of given type on map at the same time?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

if we could cage a few packs of demons, they would stop coming.
Why? Is there some limit on maximum amount of creatures of given type on map at the same time?
Yes, there is. Demons, who have insane amounts of their brethren in biomes, provide an excellent example: until they all either die or leave, no other demons come in. But as soon as you kill the entire pack, you receive a reinforcement. It's not guaranteed that there won't be a few hundreds of frames(seconds at 100 FPS) before you notice them, though. They still have to come out of "fog of war" and all that.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2010, 06:32:34 pm »

How did you bring the water down into hell? Temporarily converted the shaft into a water chute, or bucket brigade? Or did you have a second pillar that you could use as well?

I considered having a fort in hell on my last one, but my plans were too grand. I was going to wall off all entrances with clear glass blocks, but after learning demons (if they can fly) can still wander in from above the glowing pits, the scale of work involved just depressed me. This was additionally complicated by having only one pillar entrance into my hell, and it seemed to much work converting my one and only entrance into a magma chute, water chute, and regular entrance together.

Perhaps next time I get around to attempting it, I'll use stone instead of glass and only wall off sections at a time.
In my four forts that have reached hell, I've never had only one adamantine vein, and they haven't been very large neither. It's fairly easy to reveal them all if you walk around and discover all of hell, then they should all be visible on the z level just above hell. I have four veins to hell, I use one for magma, one for walking and one for water. I'll probably have to close the water chute and open the fourth to water since the current water is contaminated with toxic squirrel blood.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2010, 06:49:42 pm »

Does pumping decontaminate water?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:31 pm »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2010, 08:53:05 pm »

In my four forts that have reached hell, I've never had only one adamantine vein, and they haven't been very large neither. It's fairly easy to reveal them all if you walk around and discover all of hell, then they should all be visible on the z level just above hell. I have four veins to hell, I use one for magma, one for walking and one for water. I'll probably have to close the water chute and open the fourth to water since the current water is contaminated with toxic squirrel blood.

I tend to keep my embarks very small (3x3 average, though my current one is 5x5). I suspect it was just ill luck with the embark that I managed to center it right on top of a pillar, and given that HFS is guaranteed every 2 region tiles, it just so happened that all other pillars were outside my embark.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for future projects.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2010, 03:28:42 am »

Goddamn these squirrel demons are badass. I've seen two forgotten beasts stumble into hell, walk across some squirrel brute goo and then fall down bleeding and dying. Do you know by the way if wells automatically decontaminate water? That would simplify things a bit.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2010, 04:15:07 am »

Goddamn these squirrel demons are badass. I've seen two forgotten beasts stumble into hell, walk across some squirrel brute goo and then fall down bleeding and dying. Do you know by the way if wells automatically decontaminate water? That would simplify things a bit.
They desalinize, so I do believe that wells will.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2010, 05:20:21 am »

They desalinize, so I do believe that wells will.
That is what I thought, since they desalinize, it seems reasonable that technically they destroy one unit of water below and generate smaller units of water in the bucket, without any real connection between the two, thus I figured that any contaminants would be irrelevant.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2010, 04:40:56 pm »

Ok, so I have a fort up and running in hell now. I'll start from furthest up:

The trade depot is up in the magma. I spent one hell of a time designing ramps through the adamantine, only realizing once I was almost done that semi-molten rock can't support ramps. I totally gave up and built my trade depot up here, and when the next caravan arrived, it turned out the wagonless traders can actually move down stairs :'( The depot is left up here as a tribute to my failure as a human being.

This is directly below the adamantine vein, where I keep my barracks. It's on top of a house I built with rooms for all the dwarves, looking like this:

Down here is the big workshop room. I keep a large reservoir here just in case trees manage to grow and block all my water pipes. Most of the roofs/floors are microcline, while the walls are almost exclusively adamantine, since I like being awesome.

Storage room, meeting hall and hospital. The magma comes from another adamantine vein a bit north of the place. The meeting hall is packed with artifacts for maximum happy thoughts and probably worth around 10 million alone.

Below all that, actually built in a glowing pit, is food storage and housing for the people I love, which is of course militia leaders. criminals and dead dwarves.

Some furniture, more kickass rooms and the hole where stuff I hate disappear, which is of course loose stone, crappy furniture and pets.

Finally, a piece of concept art for Hell's Finest Plump Helmets, thanks to Heffa, the batshit Ukrainian I befriended just to stomp on all my parents' advice:

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2010, 04:47:43 pm »

Adamantie bathroom suite with glass windows looking over hell
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »