Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Massive *SPOILER* (and awesomeness)  (Read 199019 times)

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
Re: Massive *SPOILER* (and awesomeness)
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2010, 05:45:13 pm »

are you actually going to slowly take over the whole of hell, or just leave it as you have?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »

hehe, instead of wholefoods its "hellfoods"

... i am totally naming my next fortress that.
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2010, 02:02:22 am »

are you actually going to slowly take over the whole of hell, or just leave it as you have?
I'll expand the fort, I don't think I'll take over all hell (it's gigantic) and parts of it are unusable due to toxins, but the place is already too small.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2010, 06:19:09 am »

toxins? like, where? and hell surely isn't that big, just the standard 4x4 starting area?

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2010, 06:35:40 am »

toxins? like, where? and hell surely isn't that big, just the standard 4x4 starting area?
The toxins are blood from demons with toxic blood. It killed about 20 dwarves before I could isolate it. And yes, even if I think I went for 5x4, but hell has several z-levels too, 6 completely open and more in the pits. The sheer work of walling off the edges made me want to cry.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2010, 07:09:57 am »

thank god (satan?) [toady?] for the ability to build more than 1 sqaure of wall at a time. heh.
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2010, 07:51:13 am »

The toxins are blood from demons with toxic blood. It killed about 20 dwarves before I could isolate it.
Set restricted zones via d-o instead of walls. It's faster and your masons won't get hurt.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2010, 08:08:03 am »

The toxins are blood from demons with toxic blood. It killed about 20 dwarves before I could isolate it.
Set restricted zones via d-o instead of walls. It's faster and your masons won't get hurt.
The big problem was that when the battle with the demons were over dwarves had already dragged the toxic blood all over the place, so it was a question of finding all of it. It takes a while for infected dwarves to die, I even have a dead dwarf in my old meeting hall 60 z-levels up. Currently about half of the old fort is forbidden and just to be safe completely walled off.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2010, 08:27:55 am »

are you connected to a sea at all?if so, then you could try and wash the blood away if that would work. but it could just spread it all over the place...

*edit* just tried out on some of my own mess, and it's really not very good at cleaning, just spreading it everywhere. try building roads on areas of lots of demon blood to clean it up
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:33:09 am by Gutanoth »

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2010, 10:24:40 am »

if we could cage a few packs of demons, they would stop coming.
Why? Is there some limit on maximum amount of creatures of given type on map at the same time?
Yes, there is. Demons, who have insane amounts of their brethren in biomes, provide an excellent example: until they all either die or leave, no other demons come in. But as soon as you kill the entire pack, you receive a reinforcement. It's not guaranteed that there won't be a few hundreds of frames(seconds at 100 FPS) before you notice them, though. They still have to come out of "fog of war" and all that.

Everything you've said is TRUE, however one thing you mentioned before isn't. Caged creatures DO'NT count as being on the map, so if you caged 100 demons, more will still spawn. Trust me, I've had a huge mountain goat problem precisely because of this, and I managed to fix it by releasing about 6 mountain goats into a 1x1 area, which caused no more to spawn. All the while they were in cages, they kept spawning though.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2010, 11:31:48 am »

if we could cage a few packs of demons, they would stop coming.
Why? Is there some limit on maximum amount of creatures of given type on map at the same time?
Yes, there is. Demons, who have insane amounts of their brethren in biomes, provide an excellent example: until they all either die or leave, no other demons come in. But as soon as you kill the entire pack, you receive a reinforcement. It's not guaranteed that there won't be a few hundreds of frames(seconds at 100 FPS) before you notice them, though. They still have to come out of "fog of war" and all that.

Everything you've said is TRUE, however one thing you mentioned before isn't. Caged creatures DO'NT count as being on the map, so if you caged 100 demons, more will still spawn. Trust me, I've had a huge mountain goat problem precisely because of this, and I managed to fix it by releasing about 6 mountain goats into a 1x1 area, which caused no more to spawn. All the while they were in cages, they kept spawning though.
Wall them off in a tiny space? Just drag them all in  a room while unconcious and wall it off. And make sure the room is 1X1.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2010, 01:36:03 pm »

Then just seal some tunnel with an obsidian maker when demons are inside. Dwarven Bucket Brigade can bring enough water for a few tiles of obsidian.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2010, 07:55:00 pm »

Hmmm... I wonder what those caged demons would fetch from the next caravan?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2010, 09:30:32 pm »

Suffering and death due to escaping in transit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:06 pm »

Yeah, trying to sell goblins or other such creatures to a caravan just results in the cage being carried to the Depot after the inhabitant is evicted.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18