Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Substitute to gypsum?  (Read 5273 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Substitute to gypsum?
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:12:17 am »

Hey,
I'm setting up my hospital and I need gypsum or any of those materials found in gypsum to make plaster powder. I can't seem to find anything aside from dolomite, talc and some magnetite and limonite. Is gypsum usually hard to find? Is there a substitute or something?
Thanks, Cheese.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Substitute to gypsum?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:35:41 am »

Gypsum occurs in any sedimentary layers, though dolomite, rock salt, and conglomerate tend to contain their own special large cluster stones (talc, sylvite+borax, and puddingstone, respectively) which can reduce the likelihood of finding gypsum, possibly displacing it entirely. Back in 40d, only so many large cluster types could appear in a layer, which is why some regions lacked magnetite or bauxite; the increased mineral frequency in 0.31 makes this less common, though presumably it's still possible.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:18:19 am »

Occasionally you can buy it from caravans. You may have to raise the priority during negotiations.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:29:27 pm »

Avoid gypsum.  Use splints instead.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »

Wait...splints are a SUBSTITUTE for  plaster casts?!!  You mean I don't have to wait forever for my doctor to fetch a bucket of water in order to set broken bones?

In that case I declare gypsum powder to be anathema and will forbid it from my fort!!! (If not, then my reaction is a little too hasty)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »

I think casts are a bit more effective, but splints work for lesser injuries.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:08:00 am »

I've seen a dwarf of mine who who fell off a waterfall with an arm and a leg in red who had splints applied to them and was walking around.

Perhaps plaster casts might be more effective than wooden splints, but only if they actually get MADE, which I believe is currently bugged.

Would it be correct to say that wooden splints are the best work-around for the plaster bug?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:25:08 am »

I wonder if there are injuries that require plaster.  So far I've only used splints and the medics have yet to demand plaster to actually do their job.  I'm sticking to splints exclusively for now; yes, for me splints have been an excellent workaround.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:07:45 am »

If I remember right, there are a few other rocks that can be turned into plaster too, check the z-stones menu.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.