Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Question  (Read 701 times)

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Question
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:04:23 am »

Ok So I have DUG and DUG and DUG and DUG and finally found Magma......the only problem is that it is in the middle of the biggest cavern I have ever seen and I do NOT want to go play in there, yet. There is an open space (1 level)above the magma and then the floor. Can I build above the floor to use the Magma furnace 2 floors above the pool?

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:12:54 am »

No. Magma furnaces/etc only work if they're built on at least one open space with at least 4/7 magma underneath. (then again, I've never tried, so go for it)

Tap the magma sea. It's much easier, but it's REALLY far down there.

My current fortress has the magma sea 150 z levels down.

It's safe from cave wildlife, and if you dig a tunnel and use fortifications, it's safe from magma creatures too (though the current mythbusters thread could disprove that last point)
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:43:17 am »

That is going to hurt. Ok thanks.

Now I just have to get the Dwarves to do what I have set them to do in Dwarf Therapist.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:49:56 am »

Don't worry about the caverns, you can put up walls all around the magma pool.  Since it's only 1z below the ceiling it'll be done quickly and will totally seal off the cavern from the magma.  Then you can pump or build floors over it to use forges.

Unless you already have a FB down there (they should be announced I think) then you should be safe for the couple of months it might take to build the wall.  If you're really paranoid, wall off the access tunnel when the masons start working.  Don't forget to leave them enough stone available on their side to finish.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:48:19 am »

I believe it is possible for either FBs to start on the map, or to show up before you've revealed the cavern they're in, and thus go unannounced.  Either way, that happened to me once.

But I don't believe its super common.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:02:44 am »

I don't understand the question. Did you find a magma pool in dangerous cavern? If you tap into cavern directly above it, you can build stairs right up to pool surface, then build a couple of floors in every side and place furnaces on them. Thus, you'll be safe from everyone except flying FBs.

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:24 am »

Ok got it set up and then all of a sudden for no reason my 80 dwarves went MAD. They are rioting and murdering and running around.

The military is there but it is not helping. Down to 40 dwarves. and Falling.

Monde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:38 am »

Darn-it gone again. I had 2 "Vile force of darkness arrived" in one year. Rebuilt from 13 dwarves to 46 and then they came and destroyed me.