Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Discovery Channel being held hostage by Human-hating animal lover.  (Read 15220 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Discovery Channel being held hostage by Human-hating animal lover.
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2010, 08:49:18 am »

I don't know. He is quite influent and based on his idea, a lot of bird control politics have been applied in part of the world were it's needed (mainly india and china). But as I said before, it's basically the fundamental equation of population dynamics. Nothing crazy or even surprising.
"You should keep consumption beyond maximal production capacities."
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2010, 08:57:59 am »

I'm happy to see that our best eco-terrorists have the intelligence of your average forum troll.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2010, 10:13:06 am »

I don't know. He is quite influent and based on his idea, a lot of bird control politics have been applied in part of the world were it's needed (mainly india and china). But as I said before, it's basically the fundamental equation of population dynamics. Nothing crazy or even surprising.
"You should keep consumption beyond maximal production capacities."
I don't believe either india nor china have politics about controlling birds... :P

(I know you're talking about *birth* control *policies*, though you're still wrong. China does, yes, but India is the exact opposite. They have various anti-population control laws.)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2010, 11:17:13 am »

High population growth is an economic problem. People in the first world stopped having lots of kids because they didn't have time for them due to the frantic pace of life in (post)industrial society. If third world countries were to develop strong economies with low unemployment rates, their birth rates would plummet as well. So if you want to prevent human population from booming out of control, you should help the third world develop.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »

Hey, of course, I don't scream "kill all this poor filth". It's pretty obvious that I'm liberal, and in favor of helping the poor and respecting human life. It's just that, for instance, it's unwise to vaccine all child in a region were there is otherwise no infrastructure, for instance. The UNESCO learned it the hard way.
And all I know from Malthus is in his wikipedia page. If you find a quote where he is for Eugenism, or for regulating population by killing poeple randomly I'll reconsider my point of view. (Or anything of this kind)

But I'm under the impression that he just said that too much birth will result in disaster and caused wars, and that is perfectly true.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:42 pm »

High population growth is an economic problem. People in the first world stopped having lots of kids because they didn't have time for them due to the frantic pace of life in (post)industrial society. If third world countries were to develop strong economies with low unemployment rates, their birth rates would plummet as well. So if you want to prevent human population from booming out of control, you should help the third world develop.
The other explanation is that children die less, and aren't able to work early.  It used to be the case in, say, Victorian Britain that you'd have to send your kids out to work in order to look after you in your old age.  In a developed country, the need for your children to keep you in your old age is less, and they'll almost always survive childhood.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]