Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM  (Read 41483 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM
« Reply #450 on: May 06, 2011, 04:30:29 pm »

Between constant losing of players, diminishing interest, lack of current replacement, and my own decrased online activity, I've decided to close this game.
If somebody wants to continue this in any form(e.g.singleplayer), shoot me a PM and I'll give you the password.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 06, 2011, 05:01:39 pm »

It's probably for the best.  However, since you decided to close the game, I must view that as a forfeit on your part.

IL PALAZOO LOSES!  JOYOUS DAY!  VENGENCE IS MINE!!!  :P

Ahem, as you were.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 06, 2011, 05:08:18 pm »

Sad to see this close, but it seems like the right decision. Is it possible to download the game and play it single player? I know you mention the possibility of single player, I just wasn't sure how it worked.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 06, 2011, 06:17:26 pm »

IL PALAZOO LOSES!  JOYOUS DAY!  VENGENCE IS MINE!!!  :P
CURSES!

@Bluerobin, and anybody else who wants to do it:
1. Go to the game page -> "Admin options" -> "Change a player's email address"
2. Then change each nation's email address to your own, using this password:
3. Go back to the game page and select "Request turn resend", then select each nation consecutively.
4. Now you've got all the player's turns, which will allow you to:
A)Continue the multiplayer game at home with friends(or with yourself if you don't have those and/or have a multiple personality disorder), in a "hotseat" mode.
B)Set any number of nations to AI and play with the remaining one(s). - this is done by launching a turn of any given nation and choosing "set nation to AI"(or something) from the "options" menu.

As a closing comment, I'd like to thank you all for participating. I had lots of fun with this one, especially on the Caelum front - both thanks to Lorak's devious stratagems and Bluerobin's competent takeover.
That is not to say that I did not pull my hair each time I lost a pinocchio to Ignus' octopus-men, or when Disaster! struck(hurr durr puny me).
Thankfully, I should be able to regrow my hair now that the game is over.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 08, 2011, 08:35:08 am »

I had thought about being a replacement, but I noted two things:

Palazzo looked like he was in the lead

The player in need of replacing looked to be in second place.

Feeling as if my wars and blunders often help Palazzo conquer the world, despite the fact each time I recognize this threat and name my characters accordingly, I was worried it would happen again here if I joined.

Given Palazzo's obvious concession, and the fact he must have known, deep down, I was considering joining the fray, I'd like to take credit for defeating him, and I declare myself the winner.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 08, 2011, 08:44:14 am »

Heh. Anyone else wants to take credit for my defeat? You'll have to wait in line.

Anyway, I'll be taking this one off the server after Monday, so if anybody still wants to grab the turns - hurry up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:07 pm »

Heh. Anyone else wants to take credit for my defeat? You'll have to wait in line.

Anyway, I'll be taking this one off the server after Monday, so if anybody still wants to grab the turns - hurry up.

Well I wasn't playing nor do I own the game... But I'll take credit for your defeat.

Disaster!

• Bay Watcher
  • Criminal Scum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 09, 2011, 03:58:43 pm »

I was sooooo screwed. Palazzo was absolutely destroying me as I was mustering up some mageforce to try and stop him.

On my other front, I was well matched against C'tis and I was looking forward to what my poisonproof regenerating SC was going to do to them.

Caelum and I were basically allied for half the game and on non-agression the rest as we had both decided to defend oursleves against the obviously more threatening Agarthans.

I broke my alliance with Palazzo in the early turns simply because I knew if I helped him beat Caelum, I was next on the menu and Agartha was in a better position to profit from Caelum provinces.

Ulm was really, really annoying to me in the early game because I couldn't take him on with my indie-squishing forces. I was able to take over Ulmish provices in mid-game easily with my serpent cavalry though.

I encountered (Rlyeh?) in early-to-mid and we went non-aggressive right away as long as I stayed out of the pool.

I was preparing a Mass Enslave strategy to counter Agartha's damned Dust armies but I was way too slow. Apparently I really need to work on utilizing my mages earlier and scripting them better

At some time in the future, the civilisation generator will acheive the complexity for self-awareness and independent thought.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »

Yeah I really had no idea what to do to actually stand a chance against Agartha. I ended up scrounging up some fear-based defenses (thunder strike + spamming fake horrors saved one of my forts) and was going to try fielding a bunch of strike teams to make Agarthan territory look like swiss cheese, but neither of those were actual solutions, just good enough to buy me time. I also ended up dumping a bunch of nature gems into eventually summoning a faerie queen to heal the disease spam I got hit with because Caelum really has no good way to deal with that. I was aiming for whatever the death one-shot-kill spell is so I could just get a group of 5 or 6 mages with death boosters and some penetration items and hope to take down some of the supercombatants... really it was just a matter of time before I got really overwhelmed.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 09, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »

Actually I never felt like I had any reliable counter for Caelum's Elemental Queens - they pretty much owned my pinocchios when they first met, and I went totally paranoid with avoiding any further confrontations, especially when I found out that they can be resummoned after death. Lorak leaving gave me somewhat free reign in the area, as Bluerobin did not use them as aggressively as his predecessor did - which is understandable caution on his side, but still.

I've been summoning Tartarians for a while now, and had one titan commander with a bunch of other Tartarians and a Gate Stone jumping around the map with impunity and giving off a kind of game-breaking vibe. Same with that teleporting Pinocchio(with boots of the planes or somesuch trinket). Perhaps there is some reliable way of countering an army and a SC that can leave the conquered province in a magic phase, but I don't know about it.

One other army was made up of a pinocchio with a flying ship and some dozen or more mammoths stolen from Caelum. As great as the idea of pachyderm paratroopers sounded, I never used them in (serious)battle.

Pythians indeed couldn't stand their ground against Zantaron and his army of dustwalkers, but it was one of those late-game armies enchanted with everything one can possibly want to cast, and carrying half of the world's artifacts, that can get pretty much unstoppable. On the other hand, should Master Enslave work(you'd need some serious penetration boost for dustwalkers' high MR), that could turn the tables - it took me years to build that army.

I was just about ready to solve the R'yleh Problem, after a year of feebleminding Ignus' mages with Strands of Arcane Power, and finally being able to cast Master Enslave, which probably could finally net me some decisive victory. The amount of resources that I've sunk in that damn lake was unfathomable.

I've seen that Marignon was moping up the remanants of Ashdod, and sported quite a well-developed armies, so maybe he'd take over the anti-Agarthean duties from R'yleh later on.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 09, 2011, 05:46:02 pm »

Actually I never felt like I had any reliable counter for Caelum's Elemental Queens - they pretty much owned my pinocchios when they first met, and I went totally paranoid with avoiding any further confrontations, especially when I found out that they can be resummoned after death. Lorak leaving gave me somewhat free reign in the area, as Bluerobin did not use them as aggressively as his predecessor did - which is understandable caution on his side, but still.
Haha yeah... I didn't realize how powerful they were until two of them accidentally attacked your planeswalking pinocchio and almost took him out (with little to no assistance) on that turn you missed.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 09, 2011, 05:55:41 pm »

I think I've seen that turn, only never got to actually submitting. Didn't they rout because all the regulars died or something? Had they been alone, they would've surely taken him(it?) out.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 09, 2011, 06:16:15 pm »

Yeah that sounds about right. I don't really remember exactly what happened. Plus I think even if the water queens regenerate all of their health each turn, if they're taking big hits it still racks up the morale checks (as far as I know...).

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #463 on: May 09, 2011, 08:14:28 pm »

I was just about ready to solve the R'yleh Problem, after a year of feebleminding Ignus' mages with Strands of Arcane Power, and finally being able to cast Master Enslave, which probably could finally net me some decisive victory. The amount of resources that I've sunk in that damn lake was unfathomable.

Oh I was fighting a loosing battle for a very long time down here in the wet Vietnam. I'm just glad I caused you that much trouble  8)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 09, 2011, 08:34:41 pm »

The amount of resources that I've sunk in that damn lake was unfathomable.
hehe
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32