Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM  (Read 41608 times)

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2010, 12:27:24 pm »

I've got my turn done, but I'm having issues with Gmail, and can't get files to attach.

Il Palazzo if you read this and I still haven't sent my turn in, can you please add a day to the time for this turn?

I'll keep trying to get it to work every few minutes in the meantime.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2010, 12:28:56 pm »

Ten-four, Lorak, I read you.

Unfortunately, I is no pulling strings here. It's that RavenLord guy.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2010, 12:32:46 pm »

Oh oops!  I posted in the wrong thread.  XD  Will re-post in the correct one.  ;-)   I'm having issues with this game's turn attaching as well, of course, but this game's turn time isn't just a few hours away.

Disaster!

• Bay Watcher
  • Criminal Scum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2010, 02:49:40 pm »

Note to self: Hydras like god meat.
At some time in the future, the civilisation generator will acheive the complexity for self-awareness and independent thought.

Ravenlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Enter the realm
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »

For reasons that do not depend on me I won't be able to play any more. I'm setting Acrosephale to AI. I'm sorry! I wish you all the best.

I'm also sending the admin password to Il Palazzo.
Enter the realm,
don's stay awake!
The dreams remain,
they only break!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »

Well, tough.

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2010, 08:36:05 am »

That's a shame. But at least you won't be menacing my precious borders any more!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2010, 08:38:15 am »

Don't worry, I'll take over that task.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:47 pm »

And the A.I. will end up being a dick anyway :P Huge amounts of troops ftw!

ps: I don't get all that war talk, I'm quietly digging away at neutral enemies :P

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »

I ran out of neutral folks a long time ago, and now the A.I has parked their pretender on my boarder... Joy! Hopefully they'll send it on its own to get its juicy god-brain sucked out through its nose.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »

Yay! I've stumbled upon a land which is filled with heretics. Time for some cleansing :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2010, 11:13:07 pm »

You know what?  Someone should really do a Dominions III Let's Play.

Think about it.  Just set yourself up in a nice big world with lots of other AI pretenders, and set yeself loose.  Name and customize generals and heroes according to your viewers, and have them cut out swathes of land and castles for themselves.  Choose where to place fortresses and which spell schools to research.

I've heard some crazy people going on about how 'easy' it is to do away with the AI.  Well, doing a Let's Play for an audience generally results in less-than-prime performance, so it should help to even the scales a bit.

And more than that, Dominions III is excellent as a Let's Play.  It's turn-based, so snapping shots is easy.  And getting shots of the battles is also easy enough as you can replay a battle as many times as you like.

Fun stuff, eh?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2010, 04:23:36 am »

The problem with LP is that battles against AI are boring. They're either too easy, or too much of a grind. There is hardly any interesting tactics to be used, as you are forced to mass produce generic army builds that are the most efficient at slaughtering the masses of lemming-like invaders, else you drown in them.

Perhaps some sort of pseudo-MP LP would be more feasible?
Let's say you set up a few nations, and take orders from forumites, which then you try to enact in the most literal sense - kind of like the literal genie. Random forumites would be unlikely to know, or even care to know, too much about the game, so it'll be a very chaotic and silly and inefficient, albeit most probably, fun game.
Well, just an idea, as I shan't be able to do this on my crappy laptop - even IE takes two minutes to start.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2010, 03:21:47 pm »

The literal genie idea sounds interesting, I might just try that after my current game here ends.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2010, 09:12:21 pm »

I'm not quite sure I follow...  You'd have forumites send you orders which you would then interpret, or would you just wander the boards looking for posts that may be re-read in a literal sense as a battle plan?  I don't quite know if I understand.

But yes, player characters would make for far more interesting and/or thematic troop composition.  Someone really should write a fluff AI for Dominions.  The whole series has always had such fantastic fluff potential, but it always winds up minmaxed for the glory of competition.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32