Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starcraft II's plot... (SPOILERS)  (Read 4230 times)

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
Starcraft II's plot... (SPOILERS)
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:27 am »

.. is absolute rubbish.

[rant]
Seriously, every time I see a review that says how good the plot was (most of them) a little piece of me dies inside. Are people this easily pleased nowadays? Just because it is a love story and not a traditional power fantasy, therefore it must be revolutionary and deep? Do any of these reviewers actually read books?

Gah! Anyway, less ranting, more examples of parts that really pissed me off:

- Killing your marine friend at the end. It made no sense and felt tacked on, rushed and arbitrary. So he was sent specifically to kill Kerrigan if you succeeded in magically turning her back into a human. No-one even knew the Zerg were back until way after your marine friend turns up, making his alleged mission just plain ridiculous.

- Doing other peoples chores. Way too many missions were just busy work with no relevance to the plot. They felt like WoW quests "Go collect 10 zerg teeth" or whatever. I wanted to feel like I was taking part in an epic struggle, not doing quests for cash to upgrade my equipment.

- The morale "choices" sucked. So I can choose to help Spectre guy that has been with me the whole game and done nothing but be useful, or help the bad guys against him 'cos they say he's bad. Yea. I'll do that. It's that same with all the people that join your fleet, you get a choice between helping them or some random person that turns up out of the blue.

-Reynor is the most trusting person in the world, aparently. Of course your mortal enemy's son wants to help you out of the goodness of his heart. Of course... Unfortunately the plot doesn't have a single twist (except for the most ridiculous one in your marine friend) so you're perfectly safe.
[/rant]

The best bit of the game was where we get to play the protoss as they learn about the end of the world (although it feels ripped from Mass Effect). It's good because every mission has a point, and you also get a nice video for your trouble.

Anyone else had the same experience as me? Or am I just being grumpy?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II's plot... (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:18:28 am »

You're mostly grumpy.

[rant counter]
1 - Considering that the starting movie sequence where they put the friend(forgot his name) in an armor talking about prison and such you get the feeling that he don't just appear for the good old days. He is probably an infiltrator and in contact with bad emperor so just assume he got an mission update by the end.

2 - Well, you're a mercenary, ofc you end up doing other peoples chores. Though i guess it kinda depends on the order you do the missions. If you just do the plot missions it would feel retarded to go back to doing merc missions.

3 - kinda agree. Though i was being rational and helped the protoss instead of the doc.

4 - I can't think of anything to refute this.
[/rant counter]

I disliked the protoss part, especially the last mission. I was doing good, but i can only continue the game by loosing =/

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:37:09 am »

I thought as much  :)

And yea, the last protoss mission was a bit silly especially if you're half good at the game, it can take ages to loose.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:08 am »

Nah, play on a harder difficulty and it's really hard not to get swamped. There is just so much stuff

as for Tychus showing up:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »

One reply (sorry too drunk/tired to look it up) said that it's too cannon. And I can totally agree because betrayal is obvious. And all of it is written too shallow. HOWEVER one thing that is very nice is upgrade system and mercs. Multiplayer is not the same and i can't wait to see how they will present other races.
edit: sorry to sound heartless but i done missions witch gave me the resource that i needed
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:42:49 pm by darius »

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »

*snip*

That's not my problem, my problem was that I can't see how Mensk could have known that Raynor was going to save Kerrigan before even Raynor did. Even if he knew he was going to try, it was still a suspension-of-disbelief breakingly long shot on his part to assume he would succeed. And even then it was dealt with in such a lazy way (5 seconds of a dull cutscene, seriously?). I would have been way happier with a plain old assassination attempt.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:18:39 pm »

...I can't see how Mensk could have known that Raynor was going to save Kerrigan before even Raynor did.

Tychus keeps Mensk up to date on what is happening and when they know they're going down there to deal with kerrigan he gets the order to do away with her if he gets the opportunity. Maybe it's not needed if raynor kills her himself, but he didn't so its time for Tychus to finish her off.

I'm not defending the plot, just saying that it's plausible.
Most of the dialogues were cliché so i just treated it with a smirk.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:29:53 pm »

Alright, I haven't played SCII (and to be honest, I don't think I'm going to.  However good or bad it may be, I'm just no twitcher), but I played the first one and, seriously...

The Xel'Naga?  They brought back the Xel'Naga?  Those useless gits?  That sounds awfully lame.  I much prefer progenitor races that damned well stay dead.

And to be fair to that one particular story aspect (not that I know the whole deal, mind you), Raynor really is quite a predictable, trusting fellow.  Add to that the fact that he feels partially responsible for what happened to Kerrigan in the first place, and I see no issue with someone else figuring out what he's gonna do before he does it.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:25:36 pm »

I actually liked the plot. It was fun. My only complaint is that Tychus was such an obvious traitor, especially because the introductory video has Mengsk letting him out of prison. I didn't really understand why he let Tychus actively crush the Dominion, but I didn't get the secret level, either, so maybe there is more chance of power with the Xel'Naga? This was the biggest plothole for me.

But it was a fun sci-fi romp, and I wasn't looking for much more than that. The whole bit where I do work for Moebius and the Spectre to gain funds for the rebellion didn't seem all that off to me at all.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 04:46:40 am »

Most of the dialogues were cliché so i just treated it with a smirk.

Yeah, that's probably the biggest problem with the plot or story in general, is how much it focuses back on the "FOR GLORY, HONOUR AND EPIC!!!!!" aspects. I cringed at the speech Raynor throws on Char because it's just seeping through with this "We're so pumped full of testosterone we need space marine suits for our balls" mentality. :P

I guess that some people buy into that (I've seen a lot of people comment on how they think it's plain cool on SC2 sites), but I think it's just too overdone.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 06:07:10 am »

The plots relevance to missions is much better then most RTS. Atleast each mission has a gimmick that makes sense in context
Thank you based dwarf.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:35:08 am »

Having read all of the published Starcraft novels, including the newly released Heaven's Devil's book (which shows the story of how James came to be as he is, along with meeting Tycus and the like) I found the the overall storyline was for the liking.  Compared to how the storyline and the system worked in SC1, this one was a vast improvement, and showed much more than the last few did, although I wish they would have included the feature where you could look at the planets in the sector and read up on all of their history and lore. *Nod nods*

As for the plot in SC2, a few things could have been done different, and better, but hey, what couldn't? As for my enjoyment level, it was pure awesome-sauce, if you know what I mean.  And the ending plot and movie really draws me to the next of the games. XD Karrigan's going to kick some major @$$.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58:54 am »

I don't understand why they wanted to kill Kerrigan in the first place. If she's no longer infested she's no longer controlling the Zerg, which means that she can't foil the Xel'Naga plans.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 12:14:38 pm »

I don't understand why they wanted to turn her back (Blizzard, that is). Now her character has suddenly become really dull again. What is it with the need for redemptive story lines and happy endings? They saved her with a magic plot-proof rock ffs!

I'm really not asking much. Simple stuff like Planescape: Torment demonstrate that a nuanced story can entertain us poor simple plebs.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 12:17:15 pm »

I'm really not asking much. Simple stuff like Planescape: Torment
Yeah not asking much at all. One of the best RPG's ever with its main selling point begin original and amazing story.
Pages: [1] 2 3