Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Avatar:the last airbender mod. Work in progress.  (Read 4665 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Avatar:the last airbender mod. Work in progress.
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »

Alright, I'm thinking about doing some heavy duty modding to make an avatar:tla mod. I know a couple people have attempted this so far, but as far as I'm aware they never got too far. They mostly were just adding in creatures anyway.

What I want to do is, instead of having dwarves/goblins/elves/humans, having Earth Kingdom/Fire Nation/Air Nomads/ Water Tribes, and have benders at a caste level. For "bending", I was going to make it so each bender has a breath attack related to their element, waterbenders can swim automatically, airbenders are really fast, firebenders have a higher body temp or something, and earthbenders... Well, I'm not sure what to do about them. I guess make them stronger, or physically more hardy, or something.

Anyway, I'd set the "humans" to prefer coastal regions, the "elves" and "Dwarves" to prefer mountain regions, and the "goblins" to pretty much be everywhere. Kobolds would likely be removed from the game.

Could you make it so that only earthbenders could use the digging tools to dig, for "dwarves"?

Then I'd start the long/laborious process of adding in creatures, if I felt up to it.

Anybody have any idea if this would all be feasible? I haven't done much large scale modding like this yet, so I'd like to have an idea if it's doable before I start. Any advice/help/contributions would be very welcome.

Edit:

Earthbenders! Barring some testing/balancing issues, this should be how they stay, though if I can figure out appearance things properly I may change those to reflect how the earthbenders tended to look.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Airbenders!

Templates you may need (to get some of the custom breath attacks to work properly. this is only temporary, until I go back and move the relevant info into the creature raws as a local creature mat);

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:41:43 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar:the last airbender mod. Feasible?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:59:31 pm »

What you have planned out is doable. Elemental attacks would probably be fire and ice. Deadly dust would probably be air bender due to its actual effects, and I don't know what you'd give earth benders.

If you delete picks from everyone else, only earthbenders will farm.

When doing total conversion mods, it is generally a wise idea to forget about making analogs to the traditional civilizations, as DF is extremely flexible when it comes to these areas. Go ahead and make everyone human.

Also, consider modding entity positions so that the earth benders have an emperor and a chancellor (or whatever that guy was) and the fire benders have a fire lord.

You could also use castes to allow the very rare generation of avatars. You couldn't have only 1 at a time though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 09:33:32 pm »

I guess for earthbenders I'd just give them a really REALLY strong punch or something. And i'd probably give airbenders flight. Would that work, since it's not the playable race? I remember hearing flight was bugged, but I don't remember how bad it was or if it's been fixed. And yes, I was planning on making them all human, I just was going to leave a large portion of the entity files the same because it's less work and it's not TOO far off from the show, though I guess it depends on how far I get into this. I guess part of what I wanted to know was if I could declare flight, amphibious, swimspeed/swimsinnate, body temperature, and all that at a caste level. I haven't tampered much with castes yet.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:41:01 am »

As far as I know you should be able to....I caste can be any creature....all castes do is make sure that a certain set of creatures are born for a specific civ or group.

check out the genesis mod because there is lots of caste work in there you could maybe skim through and learn from

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:44:26 am »

It would probably be a better idea to use different civs instead of castes, because as far as I know, castes make up one civ. Fire benders and water benders shouldn't live together. This sounds like a pretty cool idea, though.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:09:48 am »

I think what I've got planned will work at the caste level. What I'm gonna do is copy the human raw four times and label them HUMAN_EARTH HUMAN_WATER HUMAN_AIR and HUMAN_FIRE and then put just one bender type in each and make each have its own civ. for the avatar, I think I'd just make a creature that doesn't show up anywhere in the world but that can be played as an adventurer, can that be done? And thanks, dennislp3, I'll have to check the genesis mod out.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:13:12 am »

I think I'd just make a creature that doesn't show up anywhere in the world but that can be played as an adventurer, can that be done?

Yeah. Make a dummy civ that doesn't show up anywhere, and make sure it has the INDIV_CONTROLLABLE tag.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:33:04 am »

Thanks, 3.

Does anyone know what to do with the ethics to make it so the firenation is at war with everyone, but the remaining civs are still different? I think I may be getting in over my head here XD

EDIT: I've been looking through the wiki at various things. Could I make a Solid_glob breath attack that shoots stones? that would be kind of like earthbending. I'm not sure, but if I can I could probably give them several such attacks with different sharpness, right? So they could shoot chunks of rock or earthspikes and such.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:27:00 am by silverskull39 »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:20 pm »

well...you could make them kidnappers...Fire nation did use slave labor...and that's the closest we've got until Toady adds in actual slavery...

solid glob breath using a stone material would work, you can have breath attacks use any defined material, and if it's not defined, you can make it.  hmm...idea, have a rare bender caste that uses an "enhanced" attack, like a firebender with dragonbreath instead of regular fire, a waterbender that shoots icicles instead of water globs, an earthbender that launches slade chunks (or some other super-dense stone), and an airbender with a syndrome attack that acts as "vacuum exposure".

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:14:46 pm »

well...you could make them kidnappers...Fire nation did use slave labor...and that's the closest we've got until Toady adds in actual slavery...

solid glob breath using a stone material would work, you can have breath attacks use any defined material, and if it's not defined, you can make it.  hmm...idea, have a rare bender caste that uses an "enhanced" attack, like a firebender with dragonbreath instead of regular fire, a waterbender that shoots icicles instead of water globs, an earthbender that launches slade chunks (or some other super-dense stone), and an airbender with a syndrome attack that acts as "vacuum exposure".

ooh! good ideas. Actually, here's a thought. I know it would cause issues with flying and swimming for airbenders and waterbenders, but could I make all the civs controllable? And what's the general format for breath attacks? on the wiki under syndromes it's listed as [MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPITTER_SPIT:SOLID_GLOB]
, so for the earthbender one would I use [MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE:SOLID_GLOB]?
 Another earthbender thing I could add is a rare "metalbender" that uses metal instead of stone.

Also, how do I define caste rarity?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:35:25 pm by silverskull39 »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »

that looks right...yeah it works

caste rarity...should be "[POP_RATIO:XX]" where XX is any number, the higher the number, the more common that caste is...so for non-benders [POP_RATIO:80], benders [POP_RATIO:18], super-benders [POP_RATIO:2], should make 2-in-10 benders, and from the benders 1-in-10 (1-in-50 compared to "normals") is a super.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »

ok, so if that works, then is it possible to make the rock spiky or somtehing so it is a piercing or cutting attack?

Also, in the genesis mod I noticed they have pop ratios higher than a hundred. how does that affect it?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 01:07:34 pm »

The number in the pop ratio token can be as high or as low as you want; so long as it's a whole number.

You likely won't be able to make breath attacks use the edge flag. You can specify a MAX_EDGE value for the material spat, but there's nothing to say that it'll actually be edged when it's used.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:37 pm »

could I make it create/shoot a dummy item that is edged or something? I guess probably not.

So I take it then that the pop ratio is not a percentage exactly. Does the game take the highest one and divide it by the lower ones to get their ratios? how does it work exactly? Sorry if I'm asking silly questions.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 01:24:16 pm »

It's just a ratio. If one caste had POP_RATIO:40 and the other had 1, you should get one of the latter caste for every fourty of the former.

The numbers mean nothing in absolute terms; they're relative to each other. 1:40 or 2:80 or 4:160 are all the same thing.
Pages: [1] 2