Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Avatar:the last airbender mod. Work in progress.  (Read 4666 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar:the last airbender mod. Feasible?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 01:30:23 pm »

Alright, thanks for explaining that. Now. Back to breath weapons. would the breath weapon for slade be

[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:INORGANIC:SLADE:SOLID_GLOB] ? Also, would changing it to a liquid glob make the slade encase the victim in slade and then solidify because its melting temp is way high? because that would be fucking awesome. On a semi related note, could I make the firebenders spit magma, or am I restricted to fire and dragonfire? And is there a way to make them spit lightning, too, like Azula did in the show?

Edit: to avoid double post I'm putting this here.
Here's a tentative version of the Earth Kingdom humans. Can someone look through it and tell me if it'll work?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:09:11 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 04:04:40 pm »

could I make it create/shoot a dummy item that is edged or something? I guess probably not.

So I take it then that the pop ratio is not a percentage exactly. Does the game take the highest one and divide it by the lower ones to get their ratios? how does it work exactly? Sorry if I'm asking silly questions.

Slade breath works...and every single hit shattered bones...the metal and stone breaths aren't working...might have to pick a specific metal or stone...or make local materials "rock" and "metal"...but man...slade is some heavy stuff.

also...your non-benders are showing up with the title "nothing"...think you need a caste name for them too

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 04:28:49 pm »

Thanks for testing that. I guess I'll have to pick a random/generic one of metal/stone instead, since it's far easier than making a generic metal and stone and will have more or less the same effect. It just really bites that there's apparently no way to make the projectiles sharp. For water and air I think I'm going to give a trailing vapor and dust flow respectively. I think I'll do airbenders next. How would I do the deadly dust darkflagrance mentioned? [MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DEADLY_DUST:SOLID_GLOB] ?  And then to make it have a trailing vapor too would I add that to that line of code ^ ?

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 04:50:48 pm »

Thanks for testing that. I guess I'll have to pick a random/generic one of metal/stone instead, since it's far easier than making a generic metal and stone and will have more or less the same effect. It just really bites that there's apparently no way to make the projectiles sharp. For water and air I think I'm going to give a trailing vapor and dust flow respectively. I think I'll do airbenders next. How would I do the deadly dust darkflagrance mentioned? [MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DEADLY_DUST:SOLID_GLOB] ?  And then to make it have a trailing vapor too would I add that to that line of code ^ ?

I'm not sure...I think it's a creature attack, but I can't find it...
would probably be something like

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DEADLY_DUST:STONE_TEMPLATE]
         [SYNDROME]
            [SYN_NAME:deadly dust]
            [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
                                [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:HUMAN_AIR:ALL]
            [SYN_CONTACT]
            [SYN_INHALED]
            [SYN_INJECTED]
            [CE_PAIN:SEV:500:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
            [CE_SWELLING:SEV:500:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
            [CE_OOZING:SEV:200:PROB:50:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
            [CE_BLEEDING:SEV:200:PROB:50:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
            [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:5:START:50:PEAK:500:END:1500]
[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DEADLY_DUST:TRAILING_DUST_FLOW]

and an "exploding outward" version

[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DEADLY_DUST:UNDIRECTED_DUST]

both of which fling anything they hit off in wild directions...you don't get that with the gas version...
...oh...and you don't really need the syndrome effects if you don't want them...but it would be good for the air bender master's vacuum attack...and for regular airbenders change the name to "air blast" or something

...hmm...you've got 3 stages of earthbenders, but I can't think of an intermediary stage for airbenders...maybe have the basic airbender not able to fly, then the fliers, then the masters? firebenders...you could make a material breath lightning using the flame template with boosted density for the stage between firebreath and dragonfirebreath, ...waterbenders...water, then ice...then...Bloodbenders!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:05:36 pm by JediaKyrol »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 06:03:09 pm »

the three stages was kind of an afterthought. Also, I'll probably make fire masters able to fly too, like ozai did in the final battle. In addition, I'd like to give firebenders varying degrees of heat resistance, starting from being fire proof, to being able to bathe in magma, if at all possible. On waterbending I'd make it go from having a normal swimspeed, but with swims innate, to a very fast swimspeed and have them amphibious, since a powerful waterbender could keep an airbubble around them. bloodbending could be done, but it wouldn't really do anything more than water.... and make a nice bloody mess everywhere. Probably add it in just for fun, but we need to come up with something else for masters as well. I remember seeing a breath attack somewhere that caused delayed frostbite damage. That would be cool. I'll have to find that.

Edit: Hum.... I just did some testing myself. I got both the other breath attacks to work for the earthbenders, but when I pit them against each other I get a lot of bruising and occasionally a bone break even with slade. JediaKyrol, how did you test it/ who did you test it against? For the low level earth benders, it's fine if it just bruises, but I'd like the stronger ones to be more deadly. Also, no matter what caste they were, they showed up just as "Earth Kingdom Citizen", which is okay, I guess, but I thought it would show their bender status too. I'll have to go back over the code.

Edit 2: I haven't been able to reproduce JediaKyrol's results for the slade. In any case, I have good news and bad news. The good news is, after extensive testing with syndromes, I found a way to make the master earthbender's attack more lethal. the bad news is that it's not entirely realistic. Near as I can tell, it makes them bleed everywhere, pretty much. I'm gonna try and make it affect only internal organs, since blunt attacks often cause internal bleeding IRL. And then I'll have to try and nix it so it doesn't make each organ bleed at once. I'll probably have to make a creature effect line for each organ.... oh well. Anyway, the plan is to give the master earthbenders a slade attack and the syndrome attack which uses trailing vapor flow, because the other breath attacks don't seem to deliver the syndrome very well, with the exception of trailing dust flow, which causes high risk for the bender himself. I'm gonna try a few more things first, but that's probably what it'll end up as.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:08:48 pm by silverskull39 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar:the last airbender mod. Work in progress.
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 07:10:29 pm »

It was really only Ozai and Azula who flew under rare conditions. Maybe make an elite royal firebender class with greater than normal powers.

Also, flight bugs:

In Fortress mode, flying creatures will generally path like normal walking creature to wherever they are going, sometimes talking shortcuts only accessible by flight. They occasionally dodge on top of roofs. If a flying creature is caught in the air or on a roof with no way down, it might get stuck there because there is no land-based path down; for this reason, it is advisable that all your rooftops have ramps nearby so that trapped units can get down.

When flying enemies invade, there is a chance they can get stuck in the air and forget how to move.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 07:29:42 pm »

hmm... what would happen if you built a wall below the stuck flying creature? would that get them down? I'll probably end up just giving the airbenders flight, and even then just the masters. that should keep the bugginess of that down to relatively unimportant levels.

In other news, the airbenders are almost done, just pending a few attribute changes and a little more tinkering with the master's breath attack syndrome. I'm also gonna go back and mess with the attribute changes of the earthbenders.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 10:38:00 am »

JediaKyrol, how did you test it/ who did you test it against? For the low level earth benders, it's fine if it just bruises, but I'd like the stronger ones to be more deadly.

I had them fighting regular DF humans...but the string of bone-shattering could have just been a fluke I guess...it should be just a matter of making a custom slade with near-infinite mass though...I'll see what I can do. 

(sorry for the long reply time...I got attacked by a wild bed, and was forced to nap for two days.)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 10:52:09 am »

I had them fighting "earth kingdom citizens", but they should more or less have been the same as normal humans. I guess it was a fluke, cus i've been testing off and on for the past few days and haven't had those kinds of results. The breath attacks seem to train the thrower and archery skill, but do not benefit from higher levels of this skill it seems. I'll probably have the airbender up and the earthbender fixed after I get off work.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »

hmm... what would happen if you built a wall below the stuck flying creature? would that get them down? I'll probably end up just giving the airbenders flight, and even then just the masters. that should keep the bugginess of that down to relatively unimportant levels.

In other news, the airbenders are almost done, just pending a few attribute changes and a little more tinkering with the master's breath attack syndrome. I'm also gonna go back and mess with the attribute changes of the earthbenders.

The wall works; in my opinion, flying is a trait worth giving to creatures, but you have to remember that one of Toady's principles is that all creatures use the same map to path, meaning that the ability of creatures to path is heavily dependent on walking connectivity.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 05:42:51 pm »

Thanks for the input.

Airbenders are up! it may be a bit before another update, as I'll be busy with other things for a little while. Maybe a week or so, depending on how things go.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 02:19:28 pm »

IF you want, I could help speed development by doing some creatures for you, eg. spiderbear, flying bison (airbenders could use them as pack animals!), That-mole-thing (the bounty hunter, remember?), lion-turtles (possibly make them ultra strong, they can energybend, so I'd wager they could like, rip out your soul or something, maybe a syndrome?, maybe make packs of combustion-men XD

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 04:53:27 pm »

@ supercharazad, that would be wonderful, thank you. fyi, the bounty hunter mole-thing is called a shirsu.

I was staving off creatures until after I got all the benders working as well as the civs they belong to. That would be especially helpful since I have next to no experience modding with the new system, and to be honest some of it looks pretty intimidating.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 03:20:01 pm »

@ supercharazad, that would be wonderful, thank you. fyi, the bounty hunter mole-thing is called a shirsu.

I was staving off creatures until after I got all the benders working as well as the civs they belong to. That would be especially helpful since I have next to no experience modding with the new system, and to be honest some of it looks pretty intimidating.

Alright, I'll do a few creatues, PM you the code and we'll see how it goes.

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »

IF you want, I could help speed development by doing some creatures for you, eg. spiderbear, flying bison (airbenders could use them as pack animals!), That-mole-thing (the bounty hunter, remember?), lion-turtles (possibly make them ultra strong, they can energybend, so I'd wager they could like, rip out your soul or something, maybe a syndrome?, maybe make packs of combustion-men XD
How would you make that work? Would be awesome, though
I've had my name said wrong at least 10 times so far in my whole forum life.
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!
Pages: 1 [2]