Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fixing problems on new Ubuntu version "Maverick Meerkat"  (Read 30672 times)

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing problems on new Ubuntu version "Maverick Meerkat"
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 02:35:58 am »

Thanks for this! There was someone asking about it recently, and I recently needed this info myself, so I take the liberty of doing some thread necromancy.

jdstauffer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43:52 am »

And I'm the one he was helping, so add my thanks to the list.  I had given up and was running under Wine, now I can go back to running it native.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »

Well, there would be one way: parent processes can access the memory of their children under the restrictive set of memory-access rules. So if Dwarf Therapist, Stonesense, etc., came with a feature to launch Dwarf Fortress for you, they would be counted as the "parent process" and could access DF's memory. This would only work for one tool at a time (you couldn't run both Stonesense and Dwarf Therapist and have them both be the "parent" of the DF process, for instance), and would require rewriting each tool's code. Not really worth the effort, IMHO, when a single settings change will restore the working status quo ante.

I'm having success with a simple script that launches Dwarf Fortress in the background, then execs Dwarf Therapist:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
cd $(dirname "$0")/df_linux
./df &

sleep 10
cd ../dwarftherapist/
exec ./bin/release/DwarfTherapist

That lets Dwarf Therapist become the parent process without changing its own code at all.  In theory, such scripts could even be daisy-chained to launch more than one tool, but I haven't managed to get Stonesense working yet.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?
Pages: 1 [2]