Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, crossbows fail now?  (Read 1231 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, crossbows fail now?
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:13:18 pm »

After getting my second adventurer torn in half by giant scorpions, I decided that I should try a ranged character, so I made a crossbowman. I walk outside and encounter some wolves. The crossbow did nicely at first, crippling all the wolves and leaving them helpless, but I soon discovered that it can't really kill anything. I shot about 20 bolts into a single wolf and he was still alive. I didn't mind at first, because I was getting good experience for my crossbow skill, but then I ran out of ammo so I had to finish them off with the copper dagger that the adventurers get at the start. I though I butcher the wolves and trade the meat for some bolts, but I couldn't find a store that sells them in any nearby towns. So, I got pissed and try to stab a random crossbowoman, but she and some warlord teamed up and kicked my ass.
So couple of questions:
1)Are cross/bows usefull at all now? Will they be able to actually kill anything if I get my skill up? Is there some strategy to using them(other than just 'keep your distance and shoot')?
2)Where can I get some bolts? It seems that very few of the ones I fire get stuck in enemy to be retrieved. IIRC they were sold in weapon shops in the old version, but now I can't find any.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: So, crossbows fail now?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:34:40 pm »

Copper bolts can pierce adamantine armor.

Use crossbows to disable a foe who is chasing you safely, then close in and murder them with your bladed weapon.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:52:43 pm »

If you are fond of using bows & x-bows, then you should add the custom reactions that enables you to make bolts & arrows out of bones from your butchered victims.

Your skills are also an important but I believe the ammo & weapon material is a bigger factor for damage output (Not sure about that copper bolt piercing adamantine armor thing).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:29:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:24:10 pm by Bronimin »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:17:40 pm »

First off, with genesis, I intentionally ignite myself that way to suicide bomb people.

Also, I once shot 25 of my bolts into a Sasquatch before I started to beat him with my crossbow, and after at least thirty strikes, gave up and threw my knife at him. It punctured his heart and killed him instantly. Maybe you should just throw your bolts instead of shooting them.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:50:46 am »

Alternately, you could just learn to carry a melee weapon for when you need to engage in melee combat.
!!&!!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:12:18 pm »

I had I knife, just that changing what weapon you are holding is so complicated. You have to drop the weapon you are using, and the one you want to use, then pick up the one you want to use. In that time Sasquatch could have stood back up!
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 02:31:19 pm »

^You don't have to drop either unless your container is so full you can't put your current weapon away. Normally you just need to "p"ut your current weapon into a container, then "r"emove the new weapon from that container or another one.

And even if the container is full you don't need to drop the new weapon, just the old one (though you'll probably want to pick the old one back up). The new weapon can come di"r"ectly out of your inventory, why did you think you needed to waste a turn dropping the item on the ground before picking it up?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:35:57 pm by Knigel »

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 04:44:06 pm »

A quivers will hold two weapons if otherwise empty. If you use xbow/bow, the first quiver worn will be where bolts and arrows are automatically added when you pick them up, apparently up to an unlimited amount, but if you try to put things in specifically, you'll run into the limit. If you wear your weapon quiver before your backpack(s), it'll remain high on your inventory list when you want to draw or sheathe weapons. It makes it easy to switch between three separate weapons without the need to drop any of them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »

Yeah, the bolts running out were my main issue with crossbows and bows before.

Also if you're playing my Genesis mod, some of bows are edged, so you can kill things with them in melee pretty easy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository