Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your greatest injury  (Read 1978 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your greatest injury
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:27 am »

The appropriately named 'Rush Sinews', since that's all that was holding him together. Between leaving his mountain home and reaching the first human civilization, he'd lost a hand, a foot, and all of one leg, not to mention the layers of skin scraped off him. Then he picked a duel with the gecko fiend in town, lost an eye and use of lower spine, but kept fighting the fiend until a helpful townie put a xbow bolt through his other eye.

Also, full body necrosis won't immediately kill you, even though every part of you is effectively dead. If you can deal with the loss of vision, you can keep shambling along for quite a while, and still take a lot of people with you before you go.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 02:52:41 pm »

Once took a crossbow bolt to the eye, after having had my arms and legs chopped off.  And I was still alive after that.  A dwarven hammerer came and put an end to me after that, though.

using my dwarven sence of killing people he probably hammered the bolt further into your skull
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »

I've gotten a bolt stuck in each eye before, i was thinking of taking them out, but then i was like nah.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 06:29:10 pm »

Worst fatal injury: a fluke copper bolt piercing my legendary adventurers steel helmet clean through and blowing his brains out through the other side.  :-[

Worst non fatal injury: a 4 z level fall when my adventurer dodged an attack, breaking both his legs, causing severe nerve damage etc.

Best death: being stung by a giant desert scorpion and going on a murderous rampage while the neurotoxin ate away at my brain.

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:14 pm »

My greatest injury also happens to be my only one, as I'm pretty new to adventure mode.
Yesterday I tried my first hand at adventure mode and to be honest, I played like ****. So I thought "Why not go to some settlement and try to murder everyone, it can't be that hard, right?" With this in mind I went to the nearby human settlement of.. Um.. Something, and made my way into one of them little wooden farmer homes.(On an unrelated note: Dwarven security really dwarves the human's security (pun not intended) as they left their doors wide open for every stranger and aspiring mass-murderer to come inside.)

Inside the house were three people: a. a child   b. a fishery worker   c. a farmer. The fishery worker was on his way out though so I decided to wait for him to leave. As he closed the door I pulled out my simple, but sturdy Bronze Spear. The Farmer and the child (I like to pretend it was his child, though I'm not really sure, forgot to ask) didn't really seem to mind me pulling a weapon in their house. I then stabbed the child once, cutting some arteries and motor nerves in his right leg, after which he promptly lost consciousness. The farmer was so shocked with my sudden outburst of violence that he couldn't move an inch. As any serial killer would do, I then ignored the child, "I could slaughter him later" my thoughts went, and I turned around and stabbed the farmer.

Little did I know that a simple reed cloak would prove such an efficient defense against spears. When my blows deflected upon his cloak one after the other, I entered an enraged state of mind, bolstering my abilities to fight but preventing me from being smart enough to run. By this time, the farmer was already fighting back and he had managed to get some solid hits, bruising both my arms and a leg. He was practically unharmed, but then he let his guard down for a moment. I immediately thrust  my spear forward, tearing his hart and a lung. As he desperately gasped for air I twisted the spear around in his chest, he looked at me, his eyes begging to let him live. I put an end to his miserable life with one last, short stab with my spear.

In the meantime, the child had regained consciousness and was watching in horror as I brutally slaughtered his father. When he saw him die, something inside him snapped. Mustering all of his strength, he stood up, using his one working leg to support him. As I turned around to finish what I started, he punched me, landing a very solid right in my stomach. I stumbled backwards, surprised by his will to live and fight. I tried to lift my spear and defend myself, but the damage was too great, I couldn't help but roll over and puke. His fists showed me as much mercy as I had shown his father in his last moments. But I didn't give in, ignoring the terrible pains caused by my near-fatal wounds, I reached for my spear and stabbed the new orphan in his eye, destroying his brain and killing him.

As I looked around me, I realized that I, despite my grievous injuries, had survived the fight. But the townspeople had been alerted by the sounds of fighting, in my weakened state, I was no match for them. As they were tearing me apart, I wondered "Maybe I should've come at night, while they were sleeping."

--

This is a pretty accurate recollection of what happened. I wanted to get rid of my adventurer, permanently. The fight also happened mostly like in the story, I did indeed disable the kids (right) leg with my first attack. The farmer's cloak proved to be a pretty sturdy armor, but it was probably just because of my "not spearman" stat. Oh, and the kid did give me a "Mortal Wound", albeit before the farmer died (he was bleeding out, so he was "kind of dead"). I killed them both and survived. I even got rid of the "nausea" status that came with the Mortal Wound (buy one, get one for free!). So yes I survived. But when I tried to leave the town I ran into a weaver who somehow dodged all of my attacks, and smashed my head with one hit.

Never knew a kid could pack such a hell of a punch though, he wasn't even a Dwarven kid.
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

Alizarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »

@ArcaneSaint: Yes, children in this game are known for being incredibly strong. I've even read stories of them ripping out characters eyes and such lmao

Note to self: When you see an angry child in DF, run... just turn, and run...
The Bull headbutt's the Minotaur in the buttocks, bruising the muscle and shattering the lower spine's bone and tearing the nervous tissue through the cow leather trousers!
The Minotaur slams into an obstacle!
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/japanbullart.jpg

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:44 pm »

Yes, those children can kill bronze colossussi with one punch.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »

the old pass out when fighting a Cougar trick,get big scars fast and safeish.

some of the most  nasty wounds i have seen where from arena battles of dwarfs vs elfs,
50 dwarfs vs 400 elfs, it seems that elf combat is base around maiming not killing,the face and hands are the main target areas.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 09:06:32 pm »

it seems that elf combat is base around maiming not killing,the face and hands are the main target areas.
Some Elves just can't stand it when there are other people prettier than them. Some Elves just like to have their "food" in different quantities and mass...like how some like it funsize, while another prefer a hefty meal but not too filling.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 03:22:26 am »

While not MY greatest injury, I once had a fight with an ettin that went on for quite a while, and well, about 90% in, I looked at it, and the sucker was pretty much just one head, a torso, and one hand that had no fingers on it.  I took three steps back, sat down, and the second I did, it bled to death.  I got up and looked around, and the guy was in about fifty pieces all around the cavern we had been fighting in.  Meanwhile, I had a broken arm, cracked ribs, and half my armor had been ripped off during the battle.  Good times...
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!
Pages: 1 [2]