Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 76030 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Alien vs Reisen
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »

How exactly would you define 'Levitating' in this context?

Also, there are at least four characters who can fly (Reisen, Youmu, Marx Soul, and that japanese robot guy, though that's only on a cursory examination of the roster and Marx is arguably levitating), and plenty who have projectile (firearm) or otherwise ranged attacks, meaning that flight isn't a completely omgwtfoverpowered ability. One might posit, in fact, that flight is significantly disadvantageous against someone like, say, Static, who has powers over lightning.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2010, 04:02:39 pm »

Winner: Youmu Konpaku

If both are unwilling to actively engage in combat, then there will not be a tie. Instead, the match will continue until one of them dies (even if it ends up being old age). Reisen will need to sleep at some point, and it seems that the alien will be able to use that moment to strike.

Next match:Barney the dinosaur VS A guardian naga

Spoiler: tree (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:50:54 am by ed boy »

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Youmu Konpaku VS Xigbar
« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:53 pm »

Alright, now for the one I've been waiting for.  :P

This is a really fun matchup, but I suspect Youmu has the edge- While Xigbar's manipulation of space means he can attack from a distance and from any direction, Youmu has aerial mobility, meaning she can dodge in any direction, and her phantom half gives her heightened spatial awareness.

Once she catches up to him, she can use her abilities to cover distance faster than he can perceive, and her Roukanken (a katana that can slay ten spirits in a single stroke) is likely to be just as deadly to a Nobody as a keyblade, if not moreso.

If he moves into the jungle for cover, that advantage is somewhat mitigated by the fact that Youmu's phantom half can move through obstacles to find him, and she can launch magical attacks through it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 01:16:47 am by HailFire »
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2010, 09:53:04 pm »

I personally have no knowledge of either of these, but an arrow gun sounds downright ridiculous.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2010, 01:10:48 am »

I personally have no knowledge of either of these, but an arrow gun sounds downright ridiculous.
Crossbow or speargun, mayhaps?

But yeah,
Xigbar has a laid-back and cocky attitude... He is shown to be careless and lazy
is really going to get in his way.

And gods damn, stalemates are a horrible way to lose.

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2010, 10:53:22 am »

Especially when, by virtue of old age, the outcome would be different...

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2010, 12:51:18 pm »

If he moves into the jungle for cover, that advantage is somewhat mitigated by the fact that Youmu's phantom half can move through obstacles to find him, and she can launch magical attacks through it.
Can she control both halves at the same time?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2010, 06:28:45 pm »

Am I correct in assuming that both of these characters jump around and throw obscene amounts of firepower at their enemies? If so I would guess that it would largely come down to who can dodge the other for longer... Unless one of them can get off a lethal surprise attack...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 14, 2010, 07:45:01 pm »

To an extent, though I'm not sure exactly to what extent.

Am I correct in assuming that both of these characters jump around and throw obscene amounts of firepower at their enemies? If so I would guess that it would largely come down to who can dodge the other for longer... Unless one of them can get off a lethal surprise attack...

Youmu's firepower is less 'obscene' than most of Gensokyo's inhabitants, since she's a swordsman and prefers melee combat, and Xigbar's arrowguns aren't terribly powerful; it would take a really lucky shot and/or a complete surprise attack to kill with them in one shot (or hell, burst), and Youmu's hard to surprise, as I alluded to earlier.

Xigbar's definitely going to be dodgy, but Youmu will home in for the kill, and her flash-step style techniques are really hard to dodge unless you know they're coming.

The way I see it- Xigbar's arrowguns may hurt Youmu, but Youmu's swords will kill Xigbar.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 14, 2010, 08:33:24 pm »

The only one of these characters that I know is Xigbar, but to be perfectly honest he was a pushover in Kingdom Hearts. Very easy for Sora to beat, and Youmu seems to have the same basic skillset, so I don't see why she'd have any trouble with him. Of course, Youmu's never had Donald and Goofy to back her up...
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »

The only one of these characters that I know is Xigbar, but to be perfectly honest he was a pushover in Kingdom Hearts. Very easy for Sora to beat, and Youmu seems to have the same basic skillset, so I don't see why she'd have any trouble with him. Of course, Youmu's never had Donald and Goofy to back her up...

At the same time, Xigbar doesn't have a troop of Snipers to back him up, either.  :P

Another advantage Youmu has is that unlike Sora, her weapons are sharp (the majority of KH's key "blades" don't actually have edges, being more like hand-and-a-half maces).

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2010, 02:07:09 am »

To an extent, though I'm not sure exactly to what extent.

Going with what's in Hisoutensoku, she can launch it at enemies, where it can stay and attack on its own, or she can use it to create a double, or even two doubles, and attack multiple times with each slash.
Also, Obsessor "Slash of Eternity."
Charge the enemy at super speed, tossing them up in the air, hitting them with a flurry of blows about 60 times before slamming them into the ground with the pommel.
It's so powerful, it activates the damage limiter and takes out just over half their health bar.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2010, 02:16:50 am »

I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2010, 04:51:15 am »

Winner: Youmu Konpaku

I'm going to rule that she cannot control both halves at the same time, as that would get too close to breaking the "one person only" rule. However, the phantom half lets her scout ahead and better sneak up on xigbar. This gives her the advantage of a surprise attack, and from there she can capitalize and kill xigbar.

Next match:Barney the dinosaur VS A guardian naga

Spoiler: tree (click to show/hide)

Also, does anyone have access to one of the ultra-realistic pictures of barney? Ive been trying to find something like this or this, but for barney.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:08:00 pm by ed boy »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Barney VS A guardian naga
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2010, 05:46:44 am »

Wow, that went completely over my head...
 Well, the-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

- guardian naga will cast see-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

- invisibility and mage armour, which gives it a hide much better than the best of medieval armour, probably comparable with the best of modern armours. It is also quite obse-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-rvant and should notice most attempts to sneak up on it. Once in co-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-mbat it will become invisi-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-ble and sp-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-it a -
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-poten-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-t conta-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-act-venom-that-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-should-kill-liv-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-ing-creatures-after-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

--a-few-shots.-
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

- Unless it goes -
I. love. you.
You. love. me.
We're a hap-py fam-il-y.

-INSANE!!!
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98