Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 76040 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Alien vs Reisen
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:03 pm »

Let's see, intelligent Acid-spitting Daemon Ex Machina versus Flying Touhou character...

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2010, 03:28:57 pm »

Must she fly? cant we say that she just leviatates above ground?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2010, 03:32:32 pm »

I'm sorry, but it's sounding like Reisen's biggest boon is flying, against an enemy that actually develops intelligence on its own specifically so it can track down and eat her. That's gonna be kind of hard to top. If she just levitates like Jet suggested, then she'll have to rely on illusion. Aliens are pretty easy to trick, but not unless they're damn sure it's you. I doubt she'll know enough about the Alien's anatomy to be able to properly trick it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 12, 2010, 03:59:23 pm »

Alright, let's say, hypothetically speaking, the Alien manages to outmaneuver and out-think (unlikely, and assuming the Alien lives long enough to develop the intelligence it needs) Reisen into close-quarters combat.

Let's have a look at some of her combat techniques then, shall we? Keep in mind that spellcard combat in Gensokyo is strictly and intentionally non-lethal-- in a life-or-death battle, she's going to use her powers to much deadlier effect.

First it loses it's sense of direction, then it starts seeing and hearing things (including multiple Reisens), then her laser eyebeams bore through it's skull.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 12, 2010, 05:14:03 pm »

I'm pretty sure an Alien would figure the illusions from the Real Reisen.
They can figure out synthetics from humans, sometimes they wouldn't even attack them in pursuit of the humans.
They're good enough to find a cloaked Predator.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 12, 2010, 06:47:35 pm »

Aliens are predominately ambush predators. They hide exceedingly well, especially if they have a chance to terraform their environment. With unlimited food for three days it could probably attain quite an advanced form, although the sort of physiological changes required to become a queen seem doubtful. Given the strategic and emotional displays of the second movie, I would expect that it can comprehend the concept of a fight to the death, and while it will probably try to subvert the proceedings, I doubt that it will give its position away by terraforming. So it will just hide in a dark patch of forest until its enemy starves or reveals themselves...
 Although, if it is a queen, are there any suitable hosts living on the island, it has already been suggested that people can forage, are there any animals that could carry a face-hugger?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 12, 2010, 07:09:59 pm »

Well if we've got monkeys on the island they might barely edge into the "huggable" group. Apes would be better suited, but it's unlikely they'd be out on an island, unless it's some sub-species that was cut off from the rest of the population.

But yeah, keep in mind that to even take on an Alien one-on-one, you either need a highly-advanced weapon or the martial prowess of Batman. Reisen's superpowers are arguably better, but they're ill-suited for this particular match-up. Aliens kind of have a sixth sense, especially when they're tracking prey. I don't think she knows how to trick that, or even that it exists unless she's smart enough to research the Aliens extensively in her prep time.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 12, 2010, 07:21:15 pm »

You're forgetting that Reisen shoots bullets from her hand.
Some of the bullets explode.
Those ones tend to be pretty slow, though, is the only problem.
As for the tracking, the xenomorph would be incapable of relying on sound and light, but smell is fair game.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »

It was agreed in the previous thread (and I'm going to continue using the rule, I apologize for not mentioning it before) that lots if not all of the animations that characters in games use when they attack are visual metaphors. For example, if a game animation exhibits someone being thrown into the sun, it is taken to mean that they are not actually thrown into the sun, but rather that the attack hurts to the extent that it feels like the target has been thrown into the sun.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 13, 2010, 12:10:05 am »

Well if we've got monkeys on the island they might barely edge into the "huggable" group. Apes would be better suited, but it's unlikely they'd be out on an island, unless it's some sub-species that was cut off from the rest of the population.

But yeah, keep in mind that to even take on an Alien one-on-one, you either need a highly-advanced weapon or the martial prowess of Batman. Reisen's superpowers are arguably better, but they're ill-suited for this particular match-up. Aliens kind of have a sixth sense, especially when they're tracking prey. I don't think she knows how to trick that, or even that it exists unless she's smart enough to research the Aliens extensively in her prep time.

Ehhhh face huggers can go on dogs also so why not other animals? Alien Resurrection, directors cut i think or just in the movie. But it attained some stuff from the dog like it walks on 4 legs ONLY.

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 13, 2010, 12:47:01 am »

Since by virtue, Reisen denies you the ability to accurately sense things by sight and hearing. As far as I know, from all depictions of the aliens, sight, sound, touch, and smell are their only real viable means of sensing things, perhaps Thermal sense of some sort, I can't recall.

The alien is now down to Touching things, Smelling them, and sensing heat. Since they are essentially magical in nature, Reisen's danmaku may or may not give off heat. Thusly, Touching and Smelling is all the alien has to protect against things like bullets made of insanity.

This match basically boils down to this: Can the alien kill her before she gets any chance to use her attacks on it?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 13, 2010, 12:50:26 am »

Well, she'll have to actually find the alien first.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 13, 2010, 02:45:49 am »

Will she continue to fly indefinitely? I think that the alien has the advantage in stealth and close-combat while Reisen has the edge in artillery and ammunition. I fail to see any evidence that xenomorphs have eyes and/or ears. Alien 3 demonstrated some sort a visual sense, but that would be consistent with echo-location, pressure sensors, or radar to name a few. More so that sight if my recollection is correct and the xenovision lacked colours...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 13, 2010, 02:06:22 pm »

Well, she'll have to actually find the alien first.
So what, the alien wins because it avoids combat entirely? Not much of a fight...
By that logic, she could win by just flying away.

Will she continue to fly indefinitely? I think that the alien has the advantage in stealth and close-combat while Reisen has the edge in artillery and ammunition. I fail to see any evidence that xenomorphs have eyes and/or ears. Alien 3 demonstrated some sort a visual sense, but that would be consistent with echo-location, pressure sensors, or radar to name a few. More so that sight if my recollection is correct and the xenovision lacked colours...

echo-location, and radar decidedly fall under "wavelengths" and thus are valid targets for manipulation. AFAIK, wavelengths don't give off appreciable pressure either.

Who gets the killing blow off first? That will be the winner. As far as killing blows go, at range the alien has none. Acid is relatively slow (compared to things like bullets), short range (ditto), and is likely to do more harm to the alien than good, by revealing itself.

As far as melee killing goes, the alien is superior, granted, but that means it has to get CLOSE.

Both sides are smart enough to realize that they have a nearly unstoppable advantage on their "home turf" and likely neither of them will leave it.

It will either end up as a tie (Because neither of them ended up forsaking their advantage and so no fighting ocurred) Or the one to forsake their advantage will likely lose. IMO the Alien forsaking it's advantage is in a significantly worse position than Reisen forsaking her position, but both are still pretty bad.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 13, 2010, 02:09:19 pm »

or we can limit reisen to leviatating which is more fair for the fights to come if she wins, or liek some guy said SHE WILL just fly away or keep some hight
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98