Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Elves and Obsidian Swords?  (Read 4330 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves and Obsidian Swords?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

So... they're stone swords.
With wooden hilts.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

This one got me too, and I already knew about the Aztec weapon. Couldn't the name just be changed to "Wood-handled obsidian sword"?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

That'd imply that there are non-wood-handled obsidian swords, though...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

I've spotted that obsidian short swords use wood since november 11, which mean it was already implemented in 33a. You can see the reference in my Wiki talk page.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

quote:
If people can't be bothered to read that it requires one log for the hilt, which is stated ingame, it's their own fault that elves siege them to death.

If it's stated in-game, then the information certainly isn't presented well.  All that you see on the workshop screen is that it's a rock sword after all, with absolutely no mention that you need wood to manufacture them.

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>why does the game even allow us to try and trade wooden things to the elves?</STRONG>

I agree with this completely, and am by no means a n00b - I've been playing for over a year.  The game should color-code your items or not allow you to sell offensive items to elves.  Is that item beginning with "(*giant cave s-" made of giant cave spider silk, which is fine, or giant cave swallow leather, which is offensive?  I shouldn't have to even think about this.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 05:49:00 pm »

What if they were labeled "stone bladed wooden swords"? A obsidian bladed highwood sword sounds clear enough.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »

The real question is, why would we need to change their name in the first place?

If the dwarves of DF decided to name those weapons from tradition, why would there be a need to change it?

Having swords have a wood hilt is common sense in the first place. It would be quite painfull to wield a sword for an extended amount of time without something a little better as the hilt. Most swords IRL were made with the hilt, at least partially, made of wood or rope another material covering the base of the sword.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

1) "Short sword" is already a culturally specific name-- it's just specific to English culture.

2) Obsidian SSs require wood now, and required wood in previous versions as well-- pre-z-axis versions, eg.

[wQUOTE]Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>
Having swords have a wood hilt is common sense in the first place. It would be quite painfull to wield a sword for an extended amount of time without something a little better as the hilt. Most swords IRL were made with the hilt, at least partially, made of wood or rope another material covering the base of the sword.</STRONG>[/QUOTE]

3) This is the only real problem I have with Elves refusing obsidian SSs-- the fact that I can't imagine iron SSs that lack wood either.  Leather wrap has been an acceptable alternative to wood hilts, but I've never heard of sword hilts made of cloth.  Oh well, whatever, it's just a game, right?

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2007, 11:39:00 am »

Another point is, the only reason rock swords are only obsidian now is because obsidian is the only rock with the [SHARP] tag. I tried putting it into diamonds, but it doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's just because I used cut diamonds. A non-obsidian sword would no longer be this... uh... macaquehilt thing, but would still be viable as a weapon.

Once Toady realises that the interface can dynamically alter itself as new features are added, and makes a new one, the rock sword can be altered by requiring a wooden sword to make. You'd make wooden swords at a carpenter's, then you would augment them with sharpened stones to make a macaquehilt-ish weapon. Also, don't forget rock axes, rock hammers, rock spears, and rock clubs - they all don't require sharp stone.
The reason why an interface upgrade would be needed is that the current interface almost invariably requires a manual overhaul in code when a new function is added, whereas it could simply reform itself by reading task and process parameters from definition files.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

This been discussed countless times. Diamond don't cut, they're hard and rip everything apart. Like dented knife for steak...

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>This been discussed countless times. Diamond don't cut, they're hard and rip everything apart. Like dented knife for steak...</STRONG>

Hmmm, so a diamond studded mace should increase damage?

"The dwarf hits you with ((copper mace))! The diamond studs bite into your flesh! Your face is torn! Your skull is mangled!"

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

Lol... Yeah, I guess as much as if you get slapped by a women with a diamond ring.  :p

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>Lol... Yeah, I guess as much as if you get slapped by a women with a diamond ring.   :p</STRONG>

Backhand slap, or did she turn the ring around just to make the point?

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 04:34:00 am »

It seems like it might make sense for 'obsidian short swords' and the like to be handled by taking a wooden weapon and designating it to be "decorated" with sharp stones, broken glass, or pieces of metal.

"This is a well-crafted oak club. It menaces with spikes of +rusty iron nails+."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4