Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Firefall - new Tribes  (Read 15422 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Firefall - new Tribes
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2010, 08:12:19 pm »

They have a site here. Enter the passwords as mentioned here to proceed, to what looks like an incomplete page, as it's contents seem mostly placeholder. From the source, a link can be found to a 20 second long video, unlike the others seen so far.
Eh?
Eh!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »

You're too spoiled with the new games :P.

Definitely my gut reaction to the 'not pretty' response, heh. I guess having not actually played any game prettier than, say, HL2 (or dropping graphic quality to "as low as it goes" to keep the computer from melting) has its advantages -- as does opening up T2 and comparing :P

Firefall's prettier than Tribes 2. For someone who's never actually played any cell-shaded games (Well, maybe the Oni demo? The one with th'chick?), the whole thing was suitably jaw dropping from a graphics point of view. Of course, I generally have the same response to everything close to mainstream made after ~2004, so maybe I'm just naive about that sorta' thing. Always been of the opinion that there's a certain point where prettier or not just doesn't make a difference. It's no longer FF7 (or Treasure Hunter G :P) quality, which completely blows my poor, time-lagging, crap-rig-owning mind.

I think I'm better off for it, though. Makes all the pretty colors easier to ignore :D
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2010, 08:24:38 pm »

it's contents seem mostly placeholder.
Hahahaha.  No kidding.
Once you crack the code, clicking on that Firefall logo opens up the same page in a frame.
You can then click the logo again and so forth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Somebody noted that the video is from June 5th or something.  Not much help to us, as they seem to have completely redesigned the UI (and who knows what else) since then.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:27:56 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2010, 08:49:47 pm »

They decoded a bar on the cards as binary and then in a caesar cipher, giving a second password to a page that just says

Decrypting Files...

Estimated time to completion: Unknown

right now.
Eh?
Eh!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »

A link to the movie itself would be nice.

Also, on the cellshading looking fugly subject. It's because the models have a sort of permanent diffuse light under the actual lighting. That's normal in games but in this case, it seems to be really off with certain bright edges before the cellshading outline. Plus the textures seem really smudgy which doesn't help.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:30:50 pm by Soulwynd »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2010, 09:30:22 pm »

Someone put it on youtube here.
Eh?
Eh!

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2010, 12:22:54 am »

Beyond just the design being ridiculous, I mean the cell-shading is so strong it's distracting.  First-person view isn't too bad, but the third-person player model is just eye-gouging.  Partly it's because he doesn't even look like he's in the gameworld.  He looks like a sticker on the screen and sometimes isn't even standing at the correct angle relative to the ground.

Like I said, I get what the design is going for, cartoony space marines kicking ass and taking names.  The way the thumper takes off like a Wile E Coyote rocket is superb.  But the character designs just don't work together; they're all a mix-and-match of relatively good, halfway-anime, super-space-marine ideas that just look weird together.

The enemies are pretty obvious ripoffs of Starship Troopers; they even have the same color scheme.  But I'm okay with that.  I do wish they had a slightly more involved despawn sequence than just sinking seemlessly into the ground.  It's alright with the smaller dudes who just blow apart, but it's really noticeable with the big guys.  Given all the other objects floating around and the hardware involved, I'd love to see a game that truly leaves bodies to persist as physical objects.  Imagine defending your thumper, and slowly building a barricade of bug corpses in the process.  That would fit right in.

Also bear in mind, the estimated release date is the end of next year, which is plenty of time to fix all of that stuff. :)
Not to mention having tons of persistent bodies on the ground eventually would lead to huge performance hits. :(
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2010, 12:28:45 am »

I actually like the way it looks a lot, but I have old computers that have problems running anything modern and no console.

So I am not spoiled. Eye candy is something I see at Best Buy or in videos.
I got nothing

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:43 am »

I think I should be able to run this.

Probably if I can get better internet connection.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2010, 11:39:48 am »

I added video with dev commentary to OP, its really bad quality unfortunately but lots of interesting info there.
EDIT: And I just saw dev post on their forum. He said Beta will start next year, no specific date though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:00:02 pm by janekk »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2010, 01:04:26 pm »

This is one of those rare games that makes me go "I want."

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2010, 02:04:44 pm »

Ohhhh I know what for are referrals. I just noticed I got notification at Firefall forum. I think PM. But no, get a load of this: I got achievement "Recommendation Second Class". Forum achievement mind you (and we've got exp points and levels and awards and ranking tables  :P). Apparently someone used my nick as referrer. So now we can safely say referrals are quite useless.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:59 pm »

Thumpers?

"He who controls the Bandwidth controls the Universe"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2010, 04:48:57 pm »

Thumpers?

"He who controls the Bandwidth controls the Universe"

The Packets must flow.

I had something I wanted to post in this when I first read this thread, but I've completely forgotten what that might have been outside of "I don't mind the style, but the animations need intensive care" and "you know what would be really cool...?"

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2011, 01:34:08 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-RML9Xofjw

Dev Diary from PAX East 2011
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8