Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Firefall - new Tribes  (Read 15417 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Firefall - new Tribes
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:25:17 am »

Click here for 11 minutes of gameplay.
Cinematic trailer.
Bonus hidden video
Dev commentary
Game looks sweet. Mix of Borderlands and Tribes. It is made by Blizzard ex-employees like Mark Kern (team lead on WoW) and William Petras (art director on WoW) and Scott Youngblood (lead designer on Tribes 1 and 2). Here is link to their site: http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Few points from FAQ on their forum:

Is Firefall an MMO?

No. Firefall is first and foremost an action shooter. We incorporated a lot of elements that you might find in various genres, including MMOs, but it is not an MMO in the traditional sense.

How much will Firefall cost to play?

We are so excited about Firefall that we want to make sure everyone can play it and join their friends in the game. When Firefall releases, it will be available online for download and play for absolutely free.

Will there be a subscription fee?

Absolutely not. We do not feel that a subscription fee best suits the style of game we are creating.

How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.

When Beta will start I'm sure to sign up.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:38:34 am by janekk »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Firefall
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:46:31 am »

That? Free?

Damn. Is there something I can RSS or whatever for news on it, so I know when it comes out? When will the beta start? It looks like it'd melt my computer, but if the full thing is even remotely like that trailer, I'm not entirely sure I'd care. And free? Tribes inspired, modern game, for free?

There's a catch. I don't know what it is, but there's one in there, somewhere.

... and I'd probably hop in anyway, even if it turned my little free-play no-nothing into goo, just so I could watch stuff like that. That was almost cinematic. Though I've never played borderlands... or tribes 2 or beyond, ha. Spent some hours with th'first one getting kicked around, but that's about it...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:48:18 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:05:21 am »

There is no date on beta.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:20:09 am by janekk »

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Firefall - new Tribes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:06:04 am »

i miss tribes
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:22:22 am »

Yeah, a friend linked me to this vid yesterday. Looks bloody epic, and I really love their stylistic direction. Also, Beta applications are open now apparently.

The above vid, a small article, and a cinematic trailer are all here, as well as a link to the forums where you can apply for beta access.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 06:25:13 am »

That sign up for beta button (on their site) is registration at forum. I guess they will pick people from forum (or give access to all).

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:26:42 am »

What about that other Tribes-like game? The browser one with the jetpacks? No one liked that?

Also,
William Petras (art director on WoW)
Oh dear.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 06:29:34 am »

You were supposed to pay attention to guy after him  ;D. Well I wouldn't be pessimistic about it. I like what I see when it comes to art direction in this gameplay vid.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 06:34:19 am »

That sign up for beta button (on their site) is registration at forum. I guess they will pick people from forum (or give access to all).

That's what I guessed. I'm Osmosis Jones over there too, now :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 07:25:16 am »

Added cinematic trailer to OP. Looks really cool and it seems there will be engineer sort of class with deployable turrets and mines.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 07:37:56 am »

Definitely not the next Tribes, because I don't see anyone in these videos skiing across the landscape at 100 mph.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:38:09 am »

That? Free?
Most likely free-2-play, probably with (unbalanced) benefits for payers.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 07:39:47 am »

So, this apparently isn't coming out until late 2011. Signed up for the beta, got to the forums, found that out, now to forget about this game until I get an email about it coming out, and/or the beta!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 07:42:43 am »

That? Free?
Most likely free-2-play, probably with (unbalanced) benefits for payers.

It's come up their forums quite a bit, and the general consensus it's the opposite case. Going by what the devs have stated, it looks like its going to be convenience and decorative sales rather than high end gear.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 07:57:02 am »

Convenience?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8