Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Firefall - new Tribes  (Read 15420 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Firefall - new Tribes
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2011, 10:48:16 am »

They released a new ingame trailer:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/566/view/videos/play/2008/Firefall-ChinaJoy-Trailer.html

All I gotta say is that I've been in Fortaleza and it looks nothing like a canyon desert. :P

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2011, 11:26:35 am »

All I gotta say is that I've been in Fortaleza and it looks nothing like a canyon desert. :P
Well, it is the year 2233. Who knows how burned out will it be by then.

Anyway, just took a look at this all. While I don't really mind the shading, I do dislike the way they went with the female armors. That is, the "chainmail bikini" way most MMOs go.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2011, 11:32:19 am »

Yup. The female armor is horrible and I've voiced my concern over it in the forums.

I think even the male armor is horrible.

Some of their earlier concept art was much better than their final design.

At least the gameplay seems solid. Very TF2-like in PVP, which is what I'm interested in.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2011, 11:42:23 am »

Checked out the trailer. The armor in general looks ridiculously bulky and the animations aren't really that good. Visually the game seems a bit under par.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:51 am »

And that's because they improved them a lot.

On the first live gameplay showcase, it was simply horrible. Really really bad animations.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2011, 11:55:29 am »

Well the visuals can be forgiven if the gameplay make up for it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2011, 11:58:06 am »

Yup. It looked fun to play. It was very like watching a competitive TF2 match. Lots of tactics and team play involved.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »

Yup. It looked fun to play. It was very like watching a competitive TF2 match. Lots of tactics and team play involved.
Well, if it's like TF2 style PVP, then this is a must for me.

I love me some TF2 style class system, where everyone fills a specific and completely different role. :P.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2011, 12:04:36 pm »

Yup. The female armor is horrible and I've voiced my concern over it in the forums.

Honestly... Proper female armor that isn't stupid is so rare it would be an easier list to make for the games that actually did it right.

Heck The Ultima Series had women armor as an entirely different armor and was actually worse then real armor (at least in Ultima Online)... Yet women could still wear normal armor.

Here is what I found mostly about Men Vs. Women in certain games

1) Women: So focused on looking sexy that they are often the ONLY GOOD LOOKING characters, and normal characters, in most videogames... Yet they are often so focused on looking sexy that it is all they do to the point of being rediclous
-Guitar Hero is the BEST example of this. The only character in the game who isn't a joke is a woman.
2) Men: If it is western expect ugly burly men, if it is made by the Easy expect teen pretty boys.
-DANG IT World of Warcraft! My Priest looked ugly! that is why I don't play you anymore.

Suffice it to say I find it interesting what Videogame designers think men and women aspire to be as well as the expectations of both. THEN AGAIN music buisness is probably worse... (Hollywood is getting better ONLY because their audiance is getting tired of the tropes)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:06:42 pm by Neonivek »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »

Oh no. I'm not asking for proper armor.

A skimpy chainmail bikini would have been infinitely better than patches of huge ugly bulky heavy armor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »

Oh no. I'm not asking for proper armor.

A skimpy chainmail bikini would have been infinitely better than patches of huge ugly bulky heavy armor.

AHHHH... UGLY armor. Like Minecraft. Except overly bulky unlike minecraft

Did I ever mention how much I hate armor from Minecraft? I do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »

Honestly... Proper female armor that isn't stupid is so rare it would be an easier list to make for the games that actually did it right.
I seem to remember Mass Effect did fine with female armor, in that it was the exact same armor but molded to accommodate female anatomy instead of male. It still managed to look good while also looking functional.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2011, 12:31:58 pm »

I am not saying it doesn't happen or that there is no middle ground.

Just saying it doesn't happen enough.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »

In the future, armor will be invisible shields and so of course women have no need to wear clothing (and all the women in the future are totally hot) so I expect to see my women running around naked, thanks.
I got nothing

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

In the future, armor will be invisible shields and so of course women have no need to wear clothing (and all the women in the future are totally hot) so I expect to see my women running around naked, thanks.

My prediction is that armor in the future will actually be bulkier as we will have exoskeletons.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8