Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: OILFURNACE: The Sequel (Sorta) to Bronzemurder  (Read 9938 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OILFURNACE: The Sequel (Sorta) to Bronzemurder
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 05:01:48 am »

its really nice, but i see that he is selling prints based on a derivative work of someone else's intelectual property.  surely Mr. Denee should know better.

This. However, the comic is friggin awesome. Just wish it was longer.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 06:32:57 am »

so thats how u get through aquifers...

also i too noted the lack of war bears in the fortress. As the dwarf fortress manual says:

Step 108: Enlist war bears
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 06:46:29 am »

its really nice, but i see that he is selling prints based on a derivative work of someone else's intelectual property.  surely Mr. Denee should know better.

This. However, the comic is friggin awesome. Just wish it was longer.

He is selling prints with the name of the game in it? Or the game's motto? Everything else in the drawings aren't Toady's intelectual property. His drawings are a great publicity to Toady and Dwarf Fortress, and they shouldn't be shunned.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:52:36 am by thvaz »

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:43 am »

That's a fair point - only one print actually uses any of Toady's intellectual property (and even then only to state the name of the game), the rest are just prints inspired by the game but with no actual copyright issues attached.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 08:36:35 am »

Awesome story. I really dig his style.

But some comments here make me die inside. Some guy produces an awesome work derivated from some other guy's awesome work. Do you know how this process is called? It's culture! Our entire civilisation is built upon this! This talk about 'intellectual property' just shows how indoctrinated by lobbyists, who don't care at all about culture, some people already are.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 10:47:13 am »

Awesome. Also, the guy above probably just started a war. I'ma leave this thread before anything but your egoes blows up.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 10:51:37 am »

Just chipping in to say that Mr Denee is a fantastic storyteller and artist (well, knew this with Bronzemurdered, but this confirms it!).  I love that he loves DF and puts almost trivial details, like the steel economy, in the story.  But it's these touches that make the story a DF one, and make it all the more easy to identify with.  And I love how in both the stories the tactic for dealing with the deeps is to lock it in!  Think I'll try that and see what happens next time.  I'm looking forward to a water or magma solution or siege in the future.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 11:58:47 am »

wow, i guess its a touchy topic and a lot of people have some real knee jerk reactions to it.  in general, it is fine to do things for fun.  it is not fine to profit on deriviative works.  if you're interested in how and why, feel free to read about it:

http://www.senlawoffice.com/exclusiverights/category/derivative-work/

anyway, it is completly up to Toady to enforce his copyrights.  arguing about it here can only help you to feel indigantly outraged, or smugly selfrighteous, or whatever it is that you want to get out of it.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 12:10:10 pm »

Toady's pretty laid back, and it's good publicity. I know Bronzemurder brought in a lot of people. I don't think he'll do anything.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »

wow, i guess its a touchy topic and a lot of people have some real knee jerk reactions to it.  in general, it is fine to do things for fun.  it is not fine to profit on deriviative works.  if you're interested in how and why, feel free to read about it:

http://www.senlawoffice.com/exclusiverights/category/derivative-work/

anyway, it is completly up to Toady to enforce his copyrights.  arguing about it here can only help you to feel indigantly outraged, or smugly selfrighteous, or whatever it is that you want to get out of it.

You were the one whom started shunning the artist, it just feels right you appoint the obvious: that only Toady can enforce what he thinks are his rights. In my opinion works like these should be encouraged, as it is clear they are a great source of publicity. Right now in twitter there are dozens, if not hundreds of people writing about Oilfurnace and DF. 

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:57 pm »

i didnt tell anyone to shun anybody, i just pointed out that its usually bad form to actively SELL otherpeoples... jesus, you know what? never mind.  go record some tunes off pandora and bitch about the fucking DMCA or something, see what I care.  isnt my money, my property, and your crappy sense of entitlement isnt my problem.  go print and sell a DF tee-shirt or something, i'm sure lots of people want to buy them.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 02:33:53 pm »

i didnt tell anyone to shun anybody, i just pointed out that its usually bad form to actively SELL otherpeoples... jesus, you know what? never mind.  go record some tunes off pandora and bitch about the fucking DMCA or something, see what I care.  isnt my money, my property, and your crappy sense of entitlement isnt my problem.  go print and sell a DF tee-shirt or something, i'm sure lots of people want to buy them.

Someone already does sell dwarf fortress shirts, Toady is okay with it and the seller gives toady part of what he makes off them. (Three Panel soul I believe?)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 02:49:32 pm »

Better this way. And if anyone has a crappy sense of entitlement with anything, is you. Only Toady has the right to dislike timdenee selling prints, as it is HIS game.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 03:59:01 pm »

In other news, we have learned that dwarves are born with mustaches.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 04:02:52 pm »

In other news, we have learned that dwarves are born with mustaches.
We already knew that.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4