Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: The human race needs a mega-project.  (Read 29468 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The human race needs a mega-project.
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2010, 10:11:43 pm »

Why am I picturing a motherlode of panties halfway down to the core? o.o

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2010, 10:34:12 pm »

I had to work this problem in physics class.  You zing back and forth from one pole to the other.  Forever.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2010, 10:37:22 pm »

I had to work this problem in physics class.  You zing back and forth from one pole to the other.  Forever.
Not if they catch you with a net before you fly back in!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2010, 11:42:59 pm »

And it would be much better, I think, to have it in a vacuum. That way it's only a 45 minute trip.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2010, 12:43:37 am »

Looking at this shaft idea, it gave me an idea. Utilizing the Earth's natural magnetic and gravitational forces to our advantage, why not utilize the terminal velocity, have a massive enough vehicle going down the pipeline (for a higher TV), and line the pipeline with electromagnets throughout. Turn the planet into a gigantic railgun firing ships into distant parts of space. Hubble may have to be used as a crosshair however. Then again, we can always make use of the Himalayas and either use the range or Mt. Everest itself as a natural muzzle for takeoff.

The time it would take to travel through Hell, spend a split second in purgatory (IE- The Earth's crust), and fly off into the heavens should be cut dramatically; and if we can construct a massive enough space craft that can house an entire civilization within, and launch that sucker; overpopulation and exo-system space travel will both become realities. And in case aliens decide to visit and undo the megaproject, our planet is now a death star, except made of rock and is a massive railgun (or has many of them if we're not cutting through the entire planet, but along the sides; shallow-shafts).

I think a better example to base a proper railgun-shuttle system off of is probably the LHC. Have a long enough pipeline, keep the turn angle subtle, but able to loop around (at least enough to still fall vertically, but still not hit the core itself, while exiting vertically).

I can't believe it, but my head is churning out a blueprint of how it can be done. But it may have to wait until tomorrow when I'm more awake to draw it. But one idea that immediately springs to mind is a tectonic stabilizer. It has to be resistant to it, otherwise either the trajectories can be severely messed up, or the entire system could crumble, and the devil would be pissed.

ADDENDUM:
Got another idea, we can use the moon as a secondary crosshair and slingshot our space bullet-trains wherever we want just by subtly altering the course of the shot by aiming the muzzle at the edge of the moon or we can fire straight across sans lunar influence.

BTW, I have an MSPaint mockup made. Gimme a sec to upload it. Uploaded.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:25:57 am by Itnetlolor »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2010, 12:44:45 am »

You are a god.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2010, 01:54:11 am »

Itnetlolor is a genius.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:18 am »

you mean an upside-down Launch loop?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2010, 05:57:58 am »

And it would be much better, I think, to have it in a vacuum. That way it's only a 45 minute trip.
And what do you plan on doing when they come screaming out the other side at a few thousand miles per hour?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2010, 06:00:22 am »

Take pictures.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:08 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:08:24 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2010, 10:51:46 am »

Well, to keep the planet spinning we can always try to make a sort of rotational booster of sorts at precise points around the globe and set them off simultaneously (yet gradually before going into full gear). Sure, for the time being, it'll cost fuel from our own planet, and if using fossil fuels to power them maybe our atmosphere; but if we gather enough surplus fuel(s) and resources from other planets and asteroids, along with having alternative energy sources, we should be able to maintain the Earth's rotational speed while continually sling-shooting more ships into space to continue a resource (re)supply.

I guess to make the railgun, and the secondary-superpower rotational axis/speed maintainence system more of a reality, we'll need alternative fuels and ways to manufacture them in mass quantities swiftly. At least enough for the rotational boosters to keep burning without incinerating our atmosphere or introducing too many chemicals/toxins into the air. Along those lines, we'll need higher education in order to maintain the rotational pattern as well so it remains the precise 24-hour cycle (while not altering the orbital trajectory of the planet itself) as well, and sufficient funding to not only build these things, but also provide enough security as to not doom the entire planet by knocking it's axis off, changing it's rotational direction, or expanding/contracting day cycles. These boosters could provide numerous terrorist opportunities and international security issues.

I guess considering these factors, we'll need competent governments, which alone is a megaproject. Where the hell can we find intelligent politicians? It's a bit of an oxymoron.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:58:30 am by Itnetlolor »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2010, 10:59:03 am »

DF proves that we don't need competent governments to have megaprojects.

Instead of a railgun, why not something more useful, like a mass driver to the moon?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2010, 11:09:59 am »

DF proves that we don't need competent governments to have megaprojects.

Instead of a railgun, why not something more useful, like a mass driver to the moon?
In this case, "railgun" == "mass driver (to orbit)".
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:04 am »

Whatever happened to just building Atlantis? I want to live under the sea!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15