Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Starcraft II's plot... (SPOILERS)  (Read 4204 times)

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
Re: Starcraft II's plot... (SPOILERS)
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 04:46:31 pm »

Hehe. Actually SC universe is something I enjoy without trying to "understand" or "judge its logic". I just like the atmosphere. The fact that from the beginning I didn't try to find any sense in a game (where organic species fly in space and stong brains make electric storms) helps too.

I totally agree. The SC universe is pretty cool; It manages to do gritty-ish sci-fi without ripping off Games Workshop. People make the Zerg = Tyranids point, but I believe they developed around the same time so I'm guessing they leaned on each other a bit there.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 05:14:05 pm »

If they wanted to just glue the scenarios together, why not do something like Total Annihilation and just have a short expository blurb? You can't really do that wrong. When they start trying to add drama, depth and character development it's pretty obvious they aren't very good at it.
So you would prefer short boring briefing instead of poor drama? You know you can always ignore story parts and just do missions like you would do in TA(fantastic game, IMO much better than SC and from same year too, I have no idea why people like SC more). Even if story in Starcraft isn't top notch it's strategy game, story is just a bonus here. Now I would agree with you 100% only if Starcraft would be adventure or rpg, game that is supposed to tell story but it isn't. It's like expecting good action and lots of explosions from family game show, you get those in action movies.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 07:05:46 pm »

In SC2 it's mentioned that the zerg was created to destroy the protoss.
They shouldn't coexist, but there should be an event planned where both races should be involved and which would bring Xel'Naga back.
And knowing SC's spirit, it should involve a lot of fighting, killing, loud words and E.P.I.C.

And they were made not really to destroy protoss, but rather as a desperate attempt to make something "better than protoss which failed to carry Xel'Naga destiny".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 02:39:11 am »

The entire experimentation with the Protoss and the Zerg is part of the Xel'Naga's life cycle.  They live for countless thousands of years, but even they die and can no longer reproduce, ect.  So in order to combat that, as they have before, they shape two races, one with purity of form, the other with purity of essense, which are suppose to merge peacefully, slowly over thousands of years.  That's the realistic creation of both the Protoss and the Zerg.

But then something happened, something that hadn't happened before, and the Zerg broke free of the Xel'Naga, killing and devouring them in the proccess, which went against everything the Xel'Naga had been trying to do.  And yet those artifacts and the 'temples' that are part of the game and the newest novels make me believe its part of some fail-safe plan.  Nifty.

As for the storyline in the game, I thought it was awesome, and I loved all of the between-mission cinematics and whatnot.  Beyond that, I got nothin' else to say.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:34 am »

Dr. Emil Narud and Samir Duran are implied to be the same person, the first gives you all the artifacts and the latter works for Dark Voice. So weakening Kerrigan by disabling all of the powers she got by being zerg is definitely more to the advantage of the bad guys then the good guys.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 08:58:20 am »

And looking at that movie with Zeratul vs Kerrigan, her words looked like she didn't mind the return of Xel'Naga. Zerg as a whole though could benefit from them NOT returning, thus the "disabling" of Kerrigan could serve some another zerg clusterfockmind's plans.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 09:07:35 am »

It was kinda weird that the best cut scene (Zeratul vs. Kerrigan) was in a side quest. What happened to all those cool snippets of videos we were given in previews and stuff? It's strange 'cos Blizzard are usually pretty generous with their fancy films.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 09:56:05 am »

I will judge after I see the whole picture (+zerg and +protoss stories).

And I don't think that it was the best cut scene, I liked most of the movies, especially the fight in a bar and an infected doc ones :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 11:32:26 am »

Duran and Dr. Narud of the... crud. Can't remember the name of the organization, aren't the same person.  The Doctor hunting for the artifacts is actually one of Prince Valairian's lackies, or trusted scholar or whatever else you want to call it.  Duran, on the other hand, is either working for that Dark Voice, or is that being in disguise.  I speculate that he's actually a Dark Xel'Naga, or one that had fallen so far that he ends up being like the Dark Archeon from the Xel'Naga novels, featuring the human Jacob Ramsey. (I.E. Firstborn, Twilight novels)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 11:43:16 am »

Duran and Narud ? lol that's what Blizzard has really found ? only reversing the name ?
At least they could have moved letters around a bit.

Lol, Blizzard is incredibly inspired when they don't just pillage other creative universe, movies, books setup and situations to build their games "story" and "characters" .

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 12:50:12 pm »

I happen to be personally acquainted with one of the chaps who worked on editing the SC2 cutscenes.  He's also the fellow who cut the trailer for Tropic Thunder.

Personally...  I don't know, I think I still prefer my outdated view of the issue.  That rather than having some truly insane biology that puts even Zerg space-travel to shame, the Xel'Naga were just some highly advanced but dreadfully naïve race that decided to try and create perfect lifeforms.

And, since the likelihood of me playing StarCraft 2 is quite low, I won't have my face rubbed in the new truth.  So nyah.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »

Nobody forces you to believe anything. After all, there're still people who believe that the world is flat :P.

And StarCraft's manual (the first one's) really only says that they came from another galaxy to "seed" this one and make a "perfect" life form. Blizzard just bloated the idea, that's how many of sequel's plotlines appear: with time :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 [3]