Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarfs....  (Read 6203 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs....
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 01:36:15 am »

guys i was reading up on all this ancient Norse mythology and stuff right

totally have dwarves that have moods and make artefacts

totally underground and short with beards

i'll notify my local chronolegal team immeadiately

Yeah, except no.  Norse dwarves weren't actually pointed out as being particularly short, or even remarkably beardy.  They just made some really neat stuff.

As to the actual game...  I dunno, high score-centric gaming with 'zomg' added in doesn't really strike me as the most interesting prospect.  If something comes along to convince me that it is, in fact, even better than Diggles, then I'll go for a runabout.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 04:59:40 am »

This is not a bad game. A bit simple, but a good game for a quick break. Not addictive, enough action to wake my brain, but not so complex that it gives me a headache. Would be better if there was a Linux version.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:11 am »

guys i was reading up on all this ancient Norse mythology and stuff right

totally have dwarves that have moods and make artefacts

totally underground and short with beards

i'll notify my local chronolegal team immeadiately

Yeah, except no.  Norse dwarves weren't actually pointed out as being particularly short, or even remarkably beardy.  They just made some really neat stuff.

As to the actual game...  I dunno, high score-centric gaming with 'zomg' added in doesn't really strike me as the most interesting prospect.  If something comes along to convince me that it is, in fact, even better than Diggles, then I'll go for a runabout.
It's not better than diggles.
That game took a year or two of my life when I was younger. This game lasted me the tutorial and I got bored and quit.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 07:45:57 pm »

I dont like Dwarfs all that much, seems way to random for me. *shrugs*

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 07:59:43 pm »

haha i know you guys would hate it.

this town ain't big enough for two games about dwarves.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 08:05:03 pm »

I'm not a huge fan. However, I support this game, and their recent announcement that Tripwire Interactive will be publishing it, is quite awesome.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »

...You guys have completely forgotten about Delve Deeper haven't you?

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »

It's not that similar, really.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 12:24:21 am »

Played it at PAX at the Tripwire booth and immediately thought you guys would love it.  Guess not, from the way this thread turned out.  It was a fun break though, and I could definitely see myself playing it if I don't feel up to Dwarf Fortress.

I had the start to a thread about it all planned out too.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 12:27:05 am »

It is an interesting game, but not complete in my opinion. There just isnt enough to do and it adds up to an action/puzzle kind of thing with not that much depth and you are subject to the idiocy of the dorfs.

Lots of potential though and I hope they add more features.
I got nothing

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 12:56:47 am »

The one shown at PAX feels a lot more polished, but is basically the same game.  They have implemented cave trapping as talked about in the help, so that actually feels like a feature of the game rather than a suggestion now.  Skirmish mode wasn't in yet there, either.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.
Pages: 1 2 [3]