Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zoos  (Read 4776 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zoos
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:58 pm »

I've captured a few child snatchers and want to display them for all to see. I've heard that people make zoos. Is it just imagination, or is there an actual designation for it?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zoos
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »

People place the cages as buildings (b - j), and then designate those cages as a room. I'm guessing that is what people mean by zoos.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:37:12 pm »

Yep, a shared cage is just that, a shared cage. If you 'q' the cage and build a room, then it becomes a zoo: like a statue garden, dorfs go there to chill out and admire those wonderful creatures...
Though I don't believe any dorf would get any positive thought from looking at a goblin, caged or otherwise... shame huh?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »

Awesome. Already had two parties at the cage. I like to imagine the dwarves taunting the tiny meatbag while pelting him with the stones laying on the ground.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

"Child snatcher, child snatcher, Urist gave him a leg fracture!"
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:09:40 pm »

Awesome. Already had two parties at the cage. I like to imagine the dwarves taunting the tiny meatbag while pelting him with the stones laying on the ground.
Being dwarves, they're more likely pelting him with the blood, vomit, ichor and pus lying on the ground...

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:14:32 pm »

You should put it outside for them to get rid of their cave adaption all over the cages!

Also:
"Child snatcher, child snatcher, Urist gave him a leg fracture!"
Sigging!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 03:20:46 pm »

It's mostly abstract.  I just place animal cages in meeting zones.  It pretty much does the same thing except dwarves don't throw weddings and parties at them.  For my last fortress I made a different kind of zoo.  I dug out a pit and replaced the walls of the pit with glass windows.  Kind of hard to explain.  You can see it here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25345-zoo.  Unfortunately I don't think dwarves get any happy thoughts from animals out in the open like that unless they're pets.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:35:35 pm »

Actually, any creature in a cage can give a child a happy thought, although this doesn't seem to extend to adults. Kids like caged things. I combine my zoo and my dining hall.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 04:49:35 pm »

Actually, any creature in a cage can give a child a happy thought, although this doesn't seem to extend to adults. Kids like caged things. I combine my zoo and my dining hall.

It depends on the animal. My baroness was always ecstatic because she was "comfortred by a wonderful creature in a cage recently". This wonderful creature was a zombie gorlak. Since she liked gorlaks, she was always happy to see one.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 07:46:00 pm »

I'm actually running out of room in my main zoo, so I'm going to have to make a separate one and reorganize the zoos into goblins/humanoids and zombies.

My rule is that if a dwarf gets caged on accident, INTO THE ZOO IT GOES.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:04 pm »

Can you make prison Dwarfs into zoos? It would give prisoners people to talk to.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »

If you assign the cage/chain to be used by justice, then assign a cage as a room, then that might work...

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 08:03:14 pm »

Hmm....wait, questions:
Can you safely make a Zoo outside your Fort? As in when other Goblins come, they'll ignore all the caged wonders lined up in your Trading post and do their business? Will FB's/Megabeasts also ignore them or will they enjoy a quick bite of your caged buffet?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »

Caged creatures are dwarven black boxes. They're entirely invulnerable up to magma- and if the cage is made out of magma-proof material, they're immune to that too.
Pages: [1] 2