Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795]

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 814580 times)

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #11910 on: March 07, 2024, 05:36:55 pm »

This game jam does sound like an ambitious game development and programming challenge. 7 days/168 hours does seem like a tight schedule.
I took a look at the one of the website's links and it seems they have some links in the community section:
https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/
https://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php

Maybe there are people who could help out with the game project.
Good luck with the game jam. o7
Max avatar size is 80x80

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11911 on: March 08, 2024, 05:50:11 pm »

I'm also working on a game for the 7DRL!

My progress has been smooth, but not fast, so I'm also not sure of the odds of submitting a completed project.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: March 09, 2024, 03:44:08 am »

That's good to hear. Good luck to you as well.
Max avatar size is 80x80

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: April 06, 2024, 02:25:32 pm »

I'm playing around with some static analysis tools and they are pretty cool.  They are flagging some potential memory leaks in my code, but one of the amusing things it reported:

"call to calloc with size zero"

This is in a line that is effectively calloc(1,scanned_items+1) where the type of scanned_items is an unsigned 64-bit number. While strictly true that this would be an overflow and an incorrect allocation, because scanned_items is only incremented by processing tokens, it's infeasible that this program would ever reach this limit; consider that even if it processed a token every 1 CPU instruction cycle on a 10GHz machine (10^10 tokens per second), it would take more than 58 years for that value to overflow.

So, do I actually fix this and handle it cleanly, or not worry about it?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: April 06, 2024, 04:57:31 pm »

Gotta triage everything.  If you don't have a security team breathing down your neck about it, I'd forget about it.

This reminds me of a funny anecdote from my manager: the security team here required an application be scanned by some static analysis tools that complained that an MD5 hashing function he used was insecure and had to be replaced.  The function was only being used to hash something to a key for indexing purposes and had nothing to do with cryptography or security.

After a lot of arguing, now his application uses a thousand rounds of a modern hashing algorithm to generate that indexing key.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: April 07, 2024, 07:53:13 pm »

I've been forcibly introduced to programming via RStudio, and it may be my probably-ADHD combined with intense dislike of it, but Jesus how do people do this for a living?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: April 07, 2024, 08:03:37 pm »

Well, I hate physical labor more, so I guess it's what I've got.

More seriously, while I believe most people can learn to program in some capacity in theory, I really, really do believe that some people just gravitate to it intuitively.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: April 09, 2024, 12:33:11 pm »

-at first, developing knowledge of programming is very difficult, because there is so many things to learn.

You can't really cut it down for parts, because you can't even know that you're using the parts correctly without a whole structure.
If you instead try to modify a whole structure, often enough, you have no idea how the rest of it works.
The third way, starting with only simple stuff, means you don't really get used to thinking about a whole big program, leaving you short later.

It's like some sort of incredibly complicated guessing game.

-In the middle, you have to solve problems that are challenging to think about and logic, which is work to many people.

-At last, programming becomes problematic because the simpler repetitive tasks are too boring.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11918 on: April 09, 2024, 12:59:40 pm »

The best thing to remember when thinking about "learning to program" is that there is an important but subtle difference between "learning a programming language" and "learning to program."

Sadly many people merely learn a programming language (or several) without first learning how to program, and this is a source of much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #11919 on: April 10, 2024, 04:25:30 am »

Also R is statistical modelling programming, that's like...a whole other level compared to application development.
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795]