Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634]

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 663865 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9495 on: March 08, 2024, 03:49:37 am »

My mom does a lot of work with animals and I showed her that picture and she says it's an ulceration and I'll let her type out some stuff she says can help since I don't know much about this kind of thing.

Hiya! Your all purpose rentamom here. I work in animal rescue and have been treating non-emergency ailments and injuries in animals for several decades. Firstly, thank you so much for helping this cat. so many strays don't have anyone to care for them, so you reaching out to her is so admirable. From the pic the eye appears to have become ulcerated. This can occur for a number of reasons, but virus or injury are your best bet. Since she's timid around the bush, injury may well be the cause. For treatment, you're going to need to make sure you wear gloves and a thick shirt since she might decide to perforate you. Any scratches you hopefully wont receive need to be cleaned really well, as ferals can sport some nasty cooties. If you can get a h'old of her, the eye needs to be well rinsed. You can use one part water to one part peroxide for this. If you can order from Amazon US, I suggest a product called Veterimicin Antimicrobial Pink Eye Spray. This way you can just sneak up like the ninja I know you to be and squirt it right in her eye if you can't handle her. It's incredibly effective with this type of injury. And if you can actually hold her, there is an antibiotic slave (also predictably available on Amazon) called Terramycin. It's a very effective opthalmic ointment that you apply directly to the eye itself with your finger. If you can get laxtex gloves to use, that's ideal. I admit fully to having caught unspeakable eye infections when working with animals. Wash your hands well afterwards. You need to make sure to watch the eye carefully. With some corneal wounds, swelling can occur rapidly, often causing the animal to lose the eye. And I do warn you that while you may be able to save the cat's eye from further damage, it might sadly suffer sight loss. Still, better a tad blind than dead.   I hope this doesn't ramble too horribly. If you need to ask anything else, please don't hesitate. Good luck and thank you again for caring about this cat. And now, back to my sprog.

Dang that's a lot more writing that I was expecting her to do but I guess more info is better than less, hopefully it helps.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: March 08, 2024, 05:54:28 am »

This info is very good, thankyou so much. So I'm going to clean her wether she likes it or not. Hydroperoxide I do have,  maybe even some latex gloves and swmming goggles lol... I'ts not going to be fun but if it does help the cat I'll wrestle her, I hope she can forgive me.
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: March 08, 2024, 11:51:38 am »

First attempt I weirded her out with all my stuff... Second attempt she even came closer on her own. I was unsuccesfull in creating a cat burrito, but we found some common ground where she resisted very little, curled up between my body and my knees my elbow and held by one hand. The stuff is much more viscous than I expected, barely managed to get any off. Naturally she will move away and close the eye stronger the realer it gets. The angle is all messed up, it has gotten so thick, like if I insist I'm just going to push it into the outer corner. Even with the fingers no dice. I've been washing my hands for 15 minutes and I feel like going again.

She did not make a sound, she didn't run away when it was done I gave up. It's such a great cat. I gave her some milk I think cats don't drink a lot, so it couldn't hurt get more hydration and calories I hope. I don't want to subject her to more for nothing. If she comes very close again I don't know, I really don't know what I would make of the opportunity... I mean I can try to intice her to make a step or two inside, still I have no good container (only a plain aluminium box), my access to cars is sparodic, and to try to coordinate when I will spot the cat, with when I could get her to a vet (within opening hours) is a fool's errand.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 11:53:12 am by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: March 08, 2024, 02:01:26 pm »

Ack. For future reference, water, not milk. Weaned cats are lactose intolerant under normal circumstances, and while they'll drink the hell out of any milk you give them it usually messes them up a bit later (indigestion, runs, whatever).

I know what common media says but common media is a damn dirty liar, heh. Probably won't hurt 'em too bad, but... yeah. Water, next time. Water is good. Bit of meat (actual cat food probably best, but minimally processed whatever is usually okay, too) for calories.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 02:03:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634]