Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Clothing and Property  (Read 3779 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On Clothing and Property
« on: September 06, 2010, 07:26:52 pm »

My dwarves finally got to the point where their clothes fall off and they go around naked, so I made them all a bunch of clothes. I made a few interesting observations. Some of this people probably already know.

I have the economy turned off, and I'm using DF version 0.31.12.

1. When a dwarf drops clothing, then suffers an unfortunate accident, the owned clothes are inherited by their descendents. I haven't tested what happens if they have more than one child, or what happens when they don't have any.

2. My dwarves wouldn't pick up/put on clothes that were not first taken to a stockpile. So if you quantum-store clothes, your dwarves will leave them alone.

3. Dwarves do not claim ownership of new clothes they put on. I'm not sure what makes them claim clothes, but this isn't it. Maybe it's when they drop them into cabinets that they own. Does anyone else know anything about this? It doesn't seem to be in the wiki, at least, not anywhere obvious.

Actually, it seems like only the dwarves in the military put on new clothes at all. None of them were active. They were set to metal armor. They were set to wear armor "over clothing" but clothes wer not specifically part of the uniform.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:47:25 pm by expwnent »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: On Clothing and Property
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »

Clothing in general is kind of weird right now. I haven't really payed much attention, but I think that dwarves still don't care if they don't have clothes. I don't think it's going to be in until we have some way to mass produce them, like making an entire set at once.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:32:45 pm »

My dwarfs are naked also,theres no way im making the messy creatures more clothes,everytime i win siege the dwarfs rush out and claim the best bits of fashion for themselves.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:32:27 pm »

Regarding clothing inheritance, when their owner's line dies out, the clothes become unowned completely. However, if the owner has a tomb, the owner's clothes remain his, because the dwarves expect you to bury them with him.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:57:36 pm »

However, if the owner has a tomb, the owner's clothes remain his, because the dwarves expect you to bury them with him.
... and so they put him in his tomb, and scatter his possessions about on the floor of that room. :/
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:32:08 am »

As far as I'm aware, if you put chests/coffers in a tomb they will be stored in there.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »

As far as I'm aware, if you put chests/coffers in a tomb they will be stored in there.
/headdesk ... I knew I was forgetting something.  Thank you.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:41 pm »

Here's what I noticed in my fort:

They would claim items dropped by a siege.  They were forbidden on death, And I thought that should have stopped them from claiming things.  Usually happened close to my fort, so proximity might play a factor.  there were a few things on the edge of the map, but I didn't notice until after I sent dwarfs out there to recover items.

I had phantom cave spider silk everywhere, so I made some clothes for my military to wear under their armor.  Dwarfs claimed a good chuck of the clothing for themselves, but they never put it on.

If a dwarf had 2 cabinets, they would an item from one cabinet to another, rather than collecting all their items.  Forbidding the item they were moving fixed it.  Probably caused by items being put on top of the cabinet instead of in them.  However, one I did see an item in a cabinet once, viewable with "t" instead of "k".  I didn't think much of it at the time and haven't been able to reproduce it.

P.S.   Is there a some utility like dfhack that can un-claim items?  I'd like some of those masterwork clothes back...

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:36 pm »

However, if the owner has a tomb, the owner's clothes remain his, because the dwarves expect you to bury them with him.
... and so they put him in his tomb, and scatter his possessions about on the floor of that room. :/
Omg, this is sig worthy... but my sig is full... sig-page here I come!