Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia too complex?  (Read 1182 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Militia too complex?
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:02:03 am »

Note that this isn’t a whine thread about the military but rather the usefulness of it at the start of a fortress. Its also very, very long… sorry about that.  Also if this is in the dev notes I’m again sorry.

Background
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what could be changed?

Advantages:

Disadvantages

Chances are this is poorly written since I’m fairly tired so don’t over analyse it too much.
Anyway feel free to post your feelings/comments on this

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
Re: Militia too complex?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:39:47 am »

Now I’m expecting NW_Kohaku to drop by and tell us all about some interesting obscure Gothic tribe or something that had a well structured and trained militia that was able to defend and assault other military forces with ease but I think the whole “small band of poor civvies fighting the world” fits better in the Dwarf Fortress universe anyway.

This is why this forum should have a "like" button.

But in all seriousness. The current system works fine. I just assign a single weapon as uniform and dump peasants into a squad assigned that uniform. It does take a little longer, but when all I need is a militia, I just grab peasants and hand out weapons. If I have an advanced fortress and I'm writing a story, that's when everyone in the guard gets a black cloak and a red tunic with their chainmail.

The system works fine for the purposes of a barebones militia. It's just a matter of ignoring the unnecessary features, and setting up the necessary ones early on. The uniform system is perfect for that.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:16 am »

What it's not good for is designing a military uniform, setting your military to it...and not having enough to go around.

Right now you have to have all of your swords/armor made before you assign a uniform to a dwarf or he'll be unable to later equip himself.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:18:42 pm »

The only thing I find really lacking about the military menu are the capabilities to individually equip dwarves with specific items.

As every item of a type is shown in the equipment list, no matter whether it is already equipped by a dwarf or not,
and you also see no information about such things in the list (like, for example, list entries having another color for equipped/assigned items)
it can very quickly happen that, by equipping one dwarf, you strip another dwarf of all of its armor (without you noticing it)

So at the moment, you can only equip them with generic [weapon/amor item of Metal x] if you don´t want to run in danger that at one time, without you knowing it, one of your melee dwarves fights naked, because all of his initially equipped armor has been assigned to other dwarves :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:14:25 pm »

Or crossbow dwarves meeting in the archery room  (without bolts) for a Dodge demonstration.

(I swear to god, the only thing I ever got my military to do was train dodge).

Urist McNoviceHammerdwarf the Legendary Dodger dodges the Goblin Maceman!
The mace strikes Urist McNoviceHammerdwarf in the chest anyway!
Urist McNoviceHammerdwarf has been struck down.