Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Joshua Writes Stuff: Most Probably  (Read 2365 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Writes Stuff: Most Probably
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 05:12:54 am »

Actually, I'm just tired and can't express things well at the moment. I apologize if I frustrated you.

PRE_EDIT: Woah, articles count? I read tons of those.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 05:18:50 am »

Someone needs to make a literary food pyramid with like, novels (fiction and nonfiction) near the bottom and articles and essays in the middle and comics at the top.

Yeah, articles count.  The point is to read a varied supply of words, and actually think about what you're reading in a passively critical stance.  Once you develop that critical stance you can apply it to yourself as you write.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 07:13:49 am »

Well, I thought the genre was mixed into it somehow. I mean you've said that when you're into making movies you should watch movies. It makes sense to me that if you want to write novels you should read more novels, and if you want to write articles you should read more articles. But if you want to make comics you should concentrate on comics. Right? Otherwise it makes little sense to me. They all contain words, and to someone words in a movie might be more useful than those in a novel because, for example, in a movie you can hear straight away if those words sound natural... And also... well, Stephen King himself says you shouldn't force yourself to have more and fancier words in your writing. It should be natural and... what's the word? Something along the lines of being sincere with your reader. So you should be fine with the vocabulary of real life if you haven't touched a novel in your life. The way it seems to me, at least.

Now, if I'm right in that you should read more of the genre you intend to write in, then the idea is that people have been refining the rules for that genre and experimenting and testing to best please the human mind, so you might save yourself some time/life's labor if you shared in their findings.

Also, true story. Half a year ago I was depressed and didn't read much in the way of novels. Well, almost none, actually, and I also was completely obsessed with the works of Philip Dick and I if I read any novels it was by him only. Well, then in May I was taken to a psychiatrist by my father and later the summer vacation began, and somehow I set myself a goal of reading... er, many novels. So, I used to set a timer for an hour, open a book and read it until the timer went off. Maybe it's related to the fact that the psychiatrists found that I have an attention deficiency. So, some people read for fun, for me it's sometimes hard work... Well, not so hard. ;D Also, I can't sleep without listening to an audiobook first so there's this addition to the schedule. That's enough self-aggrandizement, yet, feeling good about myself might be helping my depression, too.

Well, yeah, presented as a true story, but obviously I'm pushing it as a piece of advice. I guess this advice should be treated most critically, because I can't say definitely this way has helped me as a writer. I haven't finished a single thing since the commencement of the reading regimen (by Stephen King's numbers I should have finished at least two novels). I got further than ever in my life in wordcount (at least since I started counting words), but it may be related to the fact that I was preparing for NaNoWriMo (and burnt out just before it, by the way). It's helped my reading if you consider it an intermediate goal. I guess I should consider it that because every good writer I know about was/is an avid reader and I haven't heard about a writer that didn't read.

Also, does writing proficiency fall under the rule of 10,000 hours/10 years?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 12:40:14 am »

I did some writing today, and I just don't feel like squirreling it away since I actually haven't thought of an ending yet, and I'd hate for it to be hidden forever just because I can't think of a way to end it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was about 1 hour, maybe a little more.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 02:09:55 am »

Some comments; you overuse the word 'long' in the first section, which is a bit distracting. I'd suggest dropping it from a few points, the readers will get the point anyhow.

Is there any specific reason you're using present tense?

The segment where the guy is woken up could be a bit clearer, but that's probably just forum formatting screwing it up.

Otherwise seems good, keep on writin'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 2 [3]