Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I need a proof reader. It could be you!  (Read 2187 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: I need a proof reader. It could be you!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 09:18:36 pm »

All right! You guys win. I will go read through it a few times, fix what I find, and use an online spell checker.

If you consider proofreading and the arduous task of using a spell checker to be a divine struggle or completely beneath you-- if you truly think that making your work presentable or at the very least legible, before asking complete strangers to take time out of their day and help you with it is awful-- then writing might not be the path in life you want to take.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 09:20:54 pm »

All right! You guys win. I will go read through it a few times, fix what I find, and use an online spell checker.

If you consider proofreading and the arduous task of using a spell checker to be a divine struggle or completely beneath you-- if you truly think that making your work presentable or at the very least legible, before asking complete strangers to take time out of their day and help you with it is awful-- then writing might not be the path in life you want to take.
Exactly why I stopped wanting to be a writer.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 09:43:46 pm »

Let me just put it this way: there's a significant difference between "I suck at spelling because I'm just not good at it, and I'm not sure of my voice--could anyone proofread for me?  Here's a summary of my plot," and "I didn't pay attention in middle school, so now I want you guys to take up the slack!  Hoo hoo hoo hoo!!"

For future reference, if you're calling for a proof reader than the least you can do is give an explanation of what the story is about and where you're going with it.  I have total sympathy for people who are dyslexic or otherwise have trouble spelling.  I have somewhat less sympathy for those who admit that they simply don't want to do the legwork.  No one enjoys proof reading, so far as I know.  It's like saying "I didn't feel like testing for bugs, so would someone like to do it all for me?  Thanks!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weights."

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 09:49:21 pm »

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weights."
Story of my life.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 09:52:51 pm »

Nah, the weightlifting is the outlining and the editing. Proof-reading is like covering yourself in oil and snapping into a pair of tight underpants. It's all about presentation. And having a little courtesy.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 03:19:56 pm »

Proofreading is a lot easier if you make the effort to write well in the first place.

I think the mark of a good writer is the desire to obsessively go over your own work to improve both its content and appearance. You proof read because you can't help wanting a better product. Only when you've exhausted your own proof-reading abilities do you ask someone else to do it, to make sure its bullet-proof.

If you honestly don't care how what you write do looks, you lack one of the basic requirements to be a professional at anything.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:45:38 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 08:04:02 pm »

But I wanna be a writer now

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 12:15:46 am »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 12:18:06 am »

And I want a toilet made of solid gold, but that's not going to happen right away unless I work up to it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 02:54:06 am »

"♫READ A BOOK READ A BOOK READ A MUT-♫"

Such words could not be truer :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 08:34:29 pm »

No one enjoys proof reading, so far as I know.

On the Contrary I knew someone who LOVED to proof read... The problem was they would proof read right infront of you.

And you would learn every single mistake.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 09:00:14 pm »

I think that person just loved correcting people.

No one enjoys proof-reading their own work though. I could write an essay on how boring proof-reading is (it would be boring). Absolutely necessary. Dull as a Confederate scalpel.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 [2]