- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58

Author Topic: .  (Read 57453 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Kinseti draws Pokemon and crap. (Pink Version)
« Reply #765 on: March 27, 2011, 12:08:08 am »

Ehm, no. Mathematics is not a natural, empiric science. You could learn nothing about mathematics from looking at anything because the basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.

With fear of derailing this thread, and leaving it forever in my updated replies list:

How on earth did we develop it, then?
When monkies figured out one finger equaled one grub and thus addition and subtraction was born.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 27, 2011, 12:16:29 am »

The thing about math is that there are numerous ways to work things out.
However, relatively speaking, they will always be the same.
For example, let's say there's a race of beings from another planet in which they have sixteen fingers.
We use base ten because we have ten fingers, so let's assume they use hex.
They will have an entirely different system of counting and different formulas than ours, but they all measure and quantify the same thing with the same results.
It's like converting between metric and imperial.
The systems and processes for measuring may be different and lead to seemingly different results, but they are, in fact, the same.
Our system of counting and our formulas and theorems and axioms are all constructs built around base ten.
Simply put, we could take the aliens' Xyrex's theorem in hex, convert it to decimal, and find out that Xyrex was their Pythagoras.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 27, 2011, 12:25:48 am »

Converting between decimal and any other base number system will not change formulas or methods. If you want to mix things up, you would need to convert to a new number system all together. Maybe gray code would count, I don't know as I have never worked in it.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 27, 2011, 12:34:17 am »

The basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.
I'm waiting for Vector to swoop in on her giant eagle and bean you with a math textbook, but in the meantime... Math has literally everything to do with the outside world. Here's an example.

[loads of physics stuff]
That's physics, not mathematics. Physics uses mathematics, but physics isn't the basis of mathematics. In a sense, math is the basis of physics, not the other way around. The fact that physics uses math doesn't really matter when you're talking about how you could understand math by watching physical processes.
Ehm, no. Mathematics is not a natural, empiric science. You could learn nothing about mathematics from looking at anything because the basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.

With fear of derailing this thread, and leaving it forever in my updated replies list:

How on earth did we develop it, then?
That's a different story altogether. We have an intuitive, empiric or learnt understanding of things like sets, natural numbers and rational numbers. Based on that "understanding" (which is not really an understanding, just a "This is how it should be." kind of thing), we build a model which most closely resembles it. And then, we define stuff, make some theorems, propositions and stuff, prove them using our model and hope that it still works when we try to apply it.
That's the thing: It's all a model. That model didn't directly come from the outside world, but was carefully constructed so that it somewhat fits our ideas. There's no guarantee that it does, though.

No, ein, our formulas, theorems and axioms aren't built around base ten, they're built around real numbers and those are defined without even talking about base something-or-other.

And no, Max White, that doesn't change anything. We're still working with our known numbers, the natural numbers, rational numbers and shit like that are still the same.
Now, if you didn't work with the real numbers, but with a completely different field, all formulas would be different and it would be extremely difficult to understand.

Okay, let me clarify: Yes, mathematics as we use and have them are based on our vague understanding of numbers which is based on our vague understanding of the outside world which is vaguely based on the outside world. That's a lot of vagueness and furthermore, it's not guaranteed that everyone makes the same connections. Just because we see the same outside world doesn't mean that our understanding is the same. Just because our understanding of the outside world is similar doesn't mean that our understanding of numbers is the same and just because our understanding of numbers is similar doesn't mean that our model of mathematics is the same.
So really, if we're talking about an intelligent non-human being it's highly unlikely that it'll coincidentally develop the same understanding of mathematics.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:55:35 am by MC Dirty »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 27, 2011, 12:55:07 am »

That's physics, not mathematics. Physics uses mathematics, but physics isn't the basis of mathematics. In a sense, math is the basis of physics, not the other way around. The fact that physics uses math doesn't really matter when you're talking about how you could understand math by watching physical processes.
By using physics, you learn the math behind the physics. Thus you know math by doing physics.

You could learn nothing about mathematics from looking at anything because the basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.
Thus you learn about mathematics by looking at a thing because math is universal and has everything to do with the outside world.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 27, 2011, 12:58:46 am »

By using physics, you learn the math behind the physics. Thus you know math by doing physics.

You could learn nothing about mathematics from looking at anything because the basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.
Thus you learn about mathematics by looking at a thing because math is universal and has everything to do with the outside world.
I've been editing my last post like crazy, so you probably haven't read that yet, but how is math universal? And by using or observing physics, you just learn about the physical processes, not mathematics. You're mixing up the field of physics (the science physics) and actual physical processes. The field of physics is based on math, but actualy physical processes are just based on nature which is not based on math because math is just a mental construct.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:00:55 am by MC Dirty »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 27, 2011, 01:00:18 am »

Eh, I rediscovered triangle numbers before I was in kindergarten, and elementary combinatorics based on order when I was in 4th or 5th grade.  Goodness knows that we've seen those before, right?

But yeah, I think this is just a big misunderstanding, not anything to get worked up about.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 27, 2011, 01:03:00 am »

I'm not getting worked up, I'm just discussing an interesting topic. It's not like anyone's getting hurt.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 27, 2011, 01:04:55 am »

I'm not getting worked up, I'm just discussing an interesting topic. It's not like anyone's getting hurt.

Rather, I'm explaining why I'm not bringing out any heavy rifle fire ^_^;;  It's because I effectively agree with both sides, and don't believe the espoused opinions are actually mutually exclusive.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 27, 2011, 01:08:00 am »

It's because I effectively agree with both sides, and don't believe the espoused opinions are actually mutually exclusive.
:o

SHUUUUUN! SHUN! SHUN! SHUN!

BTW, are you a math student or something? Just asking because of Barbarossa's remark.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:10:55 am by MC Dirty »

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 27, 2011, 05:57:12 am »

She is.

[for some reason my mind's drawing a blank when thinking of what more to fill the post with]
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 27, 2011, 02:45:30 pm »

So, how about those porkermuns aye? Pretty groovy!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 58