durr
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 58

Author Topic: .  (Read 57668 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kinseti draws Pokemon and crap. (Pink Version)
« Reply #750 on: March 24, 2011, 03:59:18 am »

-snip-

Admittedly I'm only a couple gyms in at this point. Maybe it will wow me later on. I don't know. But so far it's not looking like it'll be an engaging storyline, just a minor improvement on the standard fare.

Besides, anything with opposable thumbs and an IQ of 5000 would be busy becoming the world's most powerful figure solely by manipulating stocks or penning the Pokemancipation Proclamation.
There was a brilliant comic I saw about this which made fun of the fact Alakazam could solve an advanced rubiks cube and beat the world's best computer at chess, but could not learn more than four moves.  :D

BLAM.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:16 am »

-snip-

Admittedly I'm only a couple gyms in at this point. Maybe it will wow me later on. I don't know. But so far it's not looking like it'll be an engaging storyline, just a minor improvement on the standard fare.
Don't expect too much. It definitely won't "wow" you, but I think there's a significant improvement on the standard fare. Which, as has been pointed out, really doesn't mean too much.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 24, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »

Solve a rubrics cube fast? Chess? "5000 IQ" is more along the lines of figuring out general reactivity from seeing a falling object for the first time, before it hits the ground. IQ isn't linear.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »

Solve a rubrics cube fast? Chess? "5000 IQ" is more along the lines of figuring out general reactivity from seeing a falling object for the first time, before it hits the ground. IQ isn't linear.
Exactly what I was thinking. A rubiks cube just requires a relatively simple algorithm, which IIRC is the same, whether it is the standard 3x3 or one of these. 5000 IQ would be intuitively building a hyperdrive engine w/o drawing schematics and assembled on the molecular level using atoms selectively harvested from deep within the Earth using its telekinetic powers.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 24, 2011, 02:17:44 pm »

Yea.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 25, 2011, 05:53:31 am »

*tempts*
It is done. My sig was getting too stagnant anyway.

one of these.
What the hell.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 26, 2011, 12:06:31 am »

Hmm, 5000 I.Q aye? Well let us study the octopus. Smart little thing, just look at it's brain to body ratio! However, although it can solve simple problems and has the capacity to learn, it is not as smart as you would expect, taking it's biological particulars into account. This is because a fair slice of it's brain is dedicated to it's ability to mimic almost perfectly any colour, pattern and texture. That shit don't come easy! So safe to say, if a creature has more to try and focus on, t has less for advanced problem solving.

The problem here is that there are no physics that we have to comparer to, so we don't know how much processing power it takes to use physic powers. It could very well be that Alakazam is some what similar to a savant, allowing for spectacular metal ability, but unable to figure out that they could overpower humans and become the dominate species on earth.

This would, of coarse, imply that mewtwo had an I.Q of over 9000.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 26, 2011, 12:20:54 pm »

Your thinking of Raw mental power Max White

Which IQ doesn't measure.

Though the vast majority of psychic types are intelligent.

THOUGH how does one even measure an IQ of 5000? I realise that people have applied it retroactively to people (ancient philosophers are said to have IQs in the thousands... -_-)

Then THEN again... IQ automatically translate into knowledge. Which is why it is always quite funny when a character on TV suddenly becomes super intelligent and somehow learns quantum mechanics despite never seeing it before. There was one show (for kids) that got close, the main character became a super genius but all his inventions failed because he didn't study or work hard learning.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:24:04 pm by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 26, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »

Well, a sufficiently potent genius could probably obtain a lot of the theoretical knowledge all by himself. Because research is basically observing and figuring out effects, someone with sufficient mental ability and good eyesight could probably work out most non-relativistic physics and a very large swath of mathematics from just observing the surroundings.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 26, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

Someone with sufficient mental ability and good eyesight could probably work out [...] a very large swath of mathematics from just observing the surroundings.
Ehm, no. Mathematics is not a natural, empiric science. You could learn nothing about mathematics from looking at anything because the basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 26, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »

The basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.
I'm waiting for Vector to swoop in on her giant eagle and bean you with a math textbook, but in the meantime... Math has literally everything to do with the outside world. Here's an example.

Alakazam, with its apparently ridiculous IQ, sees a spherical rock falling through air from a height of 10 meters. The super-processing of its brain (eyes are attached) lets it see how the particles move aside from the sphere, and with that it can calculate the air's μ, the coefficient of friction. Once it knows that, it can measure how far the rock falls per second by observing it and reviewing the 'footage' with its apparently incredible memory. From that, it can find the acceleration due to gravity by taking the actual speed and adding the previously subtracted frictional force of the air. It then uses Eratostene's methods to calculate the circumference of the Earth, from which it can derive the radius of the planet. Using the formula for gravitational speed, the Alakazam can then calculate the weight of the planet it is standing on.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:26 pm »

Alakazam, with its apparently ridiculous IQ, sees a spherical rock falling through air from a height of 10 meters. The super-processing of its brain (eyes are attached) lets it see how the particles move aside from the sphere, and with that it can calculate the air's μ, the coefficient of friction. Once it knows that, it can measure how far the rock falls per second by observing it and reviewing the 'footage' with its apparently incredible memory. From that, it can find the acceleration due to gravity by taking the actual speed and adding the previously subtracted frictional force of the air. It then uses Eratostene's methods to calculate the circumference of the Earth, from which it can derive the radius of the planet. Using the formula for gravitational speed, the Alakazam can then calculate the weight of the planet it is standing on.

The information just magically appears in the subject's brain, yes? There are so many flaws here that pointing them out ceases to be worthwhile for me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 26, 2011, 11:46:19 pm »

Generally information enters the brain through visual, oral, somatosensory, or aural stimuli. I'm pretty sure that Alakazam has eyes, a mouth, skin, and ears.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 26, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »

There are so many flaws here that pointing them out ceases to be worthwhile for me.
That's cool, I'll fix them myself. I'll start with the Gravitational formula one. It wouldn't be too hard to set up a simple Cavendish experiment with a couple lead spheres, a wooden frame, and some rope. It'd be easy enough to make spheres if it could be done telekinetically.

I would know that you can find all this stuff pretty easily. My Physics 101 class did it a couple weeks ago using zero modern tools, save for a video camera to record the falling of the sphere. (The memory of the Alakazam could substitute.) I suppose we also used the average particle size for a room of ours' temperature, but again, there would probably be a way for a superhuman mind to find that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 27, 2011, 12:03:47 am »

Ehm, no. Mathematics is not a natural, empiric science. You could learn nothing about mathematics from looking at anything because the basis of mathematics is just a mental construct which has nothing to do with the outside world.

With fear of derailing this thread, and leaving it forever in my updated replies list:

How on earth did we develop it, then?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 58