Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Most Complex MMO  (Read 17826 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most Complex MMO
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:48 am »

Subscription-based, Free, even browser, it doesn't matter.

What's the most complex MMO for the masses you've ever encountered or read about?
I've heard that EVE Online ranks pretty high up there, but I don't know...What do you guys think?
Any one in particular should I warrant a look at?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Most Complex MMO
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:18:39 am »

EVE is pretty complex.

Another one was Ultima Online. It had no complex system, but it offered hundreds of professions and ways to live without real restrictions. It's a history now :).

I would like to hear, is there anything else like UO now? Without stupid XP and levels, with skills which you train and a crafting system which allows you to skin birds with knives and make a plume or arrows using them, and with ability to design and build your own house using forest and mines around it, and then craft furniture and decorate your house with it? Or to grow sheep for wool and flax and weave clothes or make bandages... Man that game was epic :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:24:35 am »

EVE online is the top notch in this categoria and will expand the category in near future.

I suggest you try out Wurm online. It has things you mentioned similiar to UO :)
Have fun.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:15 am »

Tried Haven&Hearth?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:26:12 am »

EVE is pretty complex.

I would like to hear, is there anything else like UO now? Without stupid XP and levels, with skills which you train and a crafting system which allows you to skin birds with knives and make a plume or arrows using them, and with ability to design and build your own house using forest and mines around it, and then craft furniture and decorate your house with it? Or to grow sheep for wool and flax and weave clothes or make bandages... Man that game was epic :) .
I second eve. Want complexiuty, tactic, teamwork, gigantic challenge? Go for eve.
As for UO... UO? There's still immensly active UOC, which is pre-AOS. 1k++ players at any time.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:39:15 am »

EvE, hands down.

Most mmos arent all that complex, it seems they fear they lose customers if they make their games that way. Look at WoW, this game is so simple and dumb and yet has so many subscribers.

I don't know if its still true, but when guild wars came out, it let you do some pretty fun stuff and gave you the option to use your brain. A LOT. I noticed it got dumbed down. while I still was playing. Which was years back.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:41 am »

I would like to hear, is there anything else like UO now?

Mortal Online is very very similar to ultima online.  The developers, Star Vault, were heavily influenced by Ultima Online.  I pre-ordered into the Beta and played the first released month, but the server was based in Sweden and had a lot of lag problems.  They prematurely released the game to get subscription funds to further develop the game.

Great idea for an MMO with many cool sounding features, but interface was horrible and felt really unpolished.  I'll probably check it out again in 6 months or so...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:53:07 am by postal83 »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 09:44:51 am »

EVE... out of the ones I played.

Although it could be argued that it is relatively shallow gameplay wise. You're simply given a crapton of information to start and little direction beyond the tutorial. It has lots of different kinds of guns and ships, sure, but on the base scale, WoW and just about any MMO has lots of items, while there's pilots that can learn any skill in EVE you can have classes that learn specific types of skills geared toward a certain playstyle (and a 'Jack of all trades' in EVE takes forever). Mostly its just a matter of sifting through the massive amounts of information in a non-moddable interface. Dock, target, shoot (or mine) and move are the most often used commands.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:34:36 am »

i vote SS13, so damn easy to screw up.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:43 am »

i vote SS13, so damn easy to screw up.
Not an MMO, though. Not even by modern genre naming standards (by which Diablo would today be considered an MMO).

Anyway, I'd throw in WW2 Online, if only because it combines tank, airplane, ship and infantry sims into one. With complex hit areas and ballistics intact rather than crappy HPs.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:51:12 am »

Although it could be argued that it is relatively shallow gameplay wise.
Let me guess... you weren't into piracy? Or PvP in general?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:56:56 am by Puck »

SnuffleKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »

Although it could be argued that it is relatively shallow gameplay wise.

EVE Online is probably the most Complex MMO I've ever played. Star Wars Galaxies is another, Pre-CU of course, what with the incredible resource-gathering/crafting, the player cities, the sheer depth of the profession system, and the integration of space-combat. But I'm still going to have to say that EVE Online is the MOST complex MMORPG I've ever played.

In spring of 2009, I and a few friend of mine decided to give EVE online a try. It ended after about a month and a half of missioning and mining and generally, by the end of it, being bored out of our minds. I'm sure that if you asked any of them (my friends) about the game, their response would probably sound something like what Astral posted.

But at the beginning of this year, I chanced upon an article (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/31/the-five-year-spree-part-1/) about an EVE Corporation called StateCorp, a PVP Corp, that had just finished up a 5 year run in EVE. "Here" was the kind of stuff I'd wanted to do in EVE Online. In the conclusion, the writer mentioned that StateCorp was disbanding, but that a core group of it's Vets were starting a new Corporation that was to be affiliated with the website (Rock Paper Shotgun). So I got in touch with them, and I've been having a blast ever since.

EVE Online is a vast game played across the vast vast-ness of space. It's really quite vast. A vast number of people inhabit this vast-ness: generally around 40,000 concurrent players at prime-time, with the record standing at 60,000 concurrent members.

There are four races, and each race has about 50 different ships to choose from.

Every ship has a different layout of "slots" that you can fit specific modules to (High Slots/Mid Slots/Low Slots). Every ship also has a bonus to a specific module(s). So, while many ships are similar, no two ships are exactly alike.

The High Slots are generally reserved for weapons, as well as for Energy Emission modules that steal/neutralize the Capacitor (power) of target.

The Mid Slots are where you will fit your propulsion module, your Microwarpdrive or Afterburner. Here too you will fit your Electronic Warfare modules, Stasis Webifiers that slow down your target, and Warp Disruption modules that stop your target from warping away. Mid slots are also where you will fit the majority of your Shield Tanking modules.

The Low slots are where you will fit the majority of your tanking modules; Damage Controls, and Armor Tanking modules. Here too you will fit Weapon Upgrade modules, which increase the damage/range of your weapons.

Additionally, every ship has a limited number of slots for Riggings, which complement the modules of your ship.

The ship you choose, and the way that you choose to fit it out, will largely determine your role in EVE Online.

This accounts of 25% of your effectiveness in combat.

Your character's skills account for another 25% of your effectiveness. Your skills will determine the modules you can use, the amount of CPU/Powergrid that your ship has to fit modules, and just about all of the basic stats/characteristics of your ship. There are a lot of skills. It can all be a little daunting, especially in the beginning. You need to find a guide, or ask someone who is experienced, because you will have a hard time figuring this all out on your own.

The final 50% of your effectiveness in combat is determined by your PERSONAL SKILL. How you fly your ship is the single most important element to combat in this. If you gave someone a character with all of the skills in the game maxed, and put him into the best ship in the game with all of the best modules the game has to offer, he wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Dock, target, shoot (or mine) and move are the most often used commands.

This is just insulting, even if it is born of ignorance. I like to record my battles so I can play them back later to see how I f**ked up. But I'm constantly forgetting to hit record, because I've got about a dozen other things on my mind and the game is quite frankly just that exciting.

Let me give you an example:

My Friend and I, we'll call him Jack, are sitting in a Low-Security system at a Safe, a bookmarked location in empty space that is hard to find, i.e. relatively safe. We're trying to decide where to go next, when we notice Local, the channel that shows all players in local space, go up by one. We check his profile, and see that his Security Status is -5.1; he's a great big pirate. We have all of the Jump-Gates in system on scan from our Safe. A Drake, a missile wielding Battlecruiser with an incredible tank, shows up on the Directional Scanner.

"Looks like bait," I say.

"Yep."

"Narrow him down."

"Hehe. Okay."

So, while I continue to scan for additional ships at 360 degrees, Jack narrows down the cone of his Directional Scanner to try and pinpoint the Drake's location. In less than a minute, Jack has him down to an Asteroid Belt, with wrecks on scan.

"Planet 7 Belt 1," Jack says.

"Nothing else on scan,"

"Shall we say hello?"

"Lets."

We warp top the asteroid belt. The Drake is there, sitting at the warp-in point. Immediately he locks me and opens up with his Heavy Assault Missiles.

"Point, Web, it's a HAM Drake, get ECM drones on him," I say.

"Check Check, Local plus one, Hurricane on scan."

"I see it. I'm scrammed and webbed, let's get this Drake down. Overheat."

"Cane landing."

"I see it, stay on the Drake."

The Hurricane lands on top of us, and immediately starts shooting/neutralizing my active tanked Harbinger.

"Point that Cane. I'm capping out," I say.

"Okay, hold on, we got this."

"Drake is into Armor now."

The Drake is almost down, but the combined damage/nueting of the two Battlecruisers is taking it's toll on my ship. I'm floating in and out of hull, with the Armor Repairs desperately trying to keep up with the damage/lack of capacitor.

"Drake is down, get out get out," Jack shouts.

"Hehe. Too late."

My Harbinger explodes.

"I'll grab my Arbitrator, can you hold him?" I ask.

"Neg, he's burning off, I've dropped point - he's gone," Jack replies.

"Oh well. Fair trade I guess. Where you want to go for lunch?"

"I don't care, wherever you want to go I guess."

"No, you choose."

"No you."

It goes on like that for a while.

This post is too long, but whatever. I have class. o/ Fly safe.

- Snuffles

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 12:16:25 pm »

I'd say Beyond Protocol looks more complex then EVE Online, but as I have plated neither, I can't vouch for that.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:26:30 pm »

You EVE fanbois need to play Anarchy Online. And for a mild level of complexity, play Neocron 2.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 01:28:01 pm »

You EVE fanbois need to play Anarchy Online.
That joke was more sad than funny I think ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8