Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Most Complex MMO  (Read 17827 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Most Complex MMO
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 03:42:12 pm »

Sandbox is a good thing and it's not an excuse for me to think EVE is boring.

Spoiler: Long rant? (click to show/hide)

I dunno what else I can say, eve fanbois see complexity and fun where I see simplicity and boredom.

As for actual gameplay complexity, I remember a chinese mmo about pets, a pokemon mmo of sorts, that had all sorts of insane systems put in together. You had a 5 element system where depending on your individual and collective rates you'd open up skills, then every piece of equipment worked on that system as well and you could mutate your equipment. Your pets worked on that system and you could breed and mutate them. If you had a wife/husband, the interaction worked on that system, so you could have stronger and unique skills when fighting together. But alas, it suffered from the eastern mmo grind crisis with I dunno how many thousand levels to grind to the point that you reached demi-godhood at upper levels.

[/list]
    wait a sec, that is munchhausen style... it doesnt work, its faked, innit? I'm sort of ashamed I even have to ask...
    The center of mass is behind the lever point, under the table, so the mass is forcing the ruler to point upwards instead of falling. There's a fork trick similar to that where you can make it practically float on one end and impress girls to get laid. The second trick that sometimes works for that (if the girl is drunk enough already), is opening a beer bottle with a paper napkin. And no, not the twist cap type.

No way that's real, there is amost as much weight in the handle as there is in the head, and that still doesn't explain how the ruler doesn't tip, the center of gravity is outside the edge of the board.
    It's real. I need to find a picture of the fork trick that's... pretty much just like that.

There we go, this is one version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3qMA3vVTpI

Here's the one I used to do:
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:55:27 pm by Soulwynd »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

someone mention'd Galaxies? holy crap that game almost killed me. it was so hard to make money in that game and had a shitty transportation system, wtf i have to walk across tantooine for 30 mins. thank you god for pimp slapping Sony in the face.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20:52 pm »

I'd say Beyond Protocol looks more complex then EVE Online, but as I have plated neither, I can't vouch for that.

Says here that BP is a MMORTS, so I'm going to assume that, other than handling spaceship and outer space, they're kinda different. Design your units, manage fleets, etc.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:43 pm »

Chip n Dales mmorpg
    The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
    • Torchlight Venturer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 05:33:24 pm »

Says here that BP is a MMORTS, so I'm going to assume that, other than handling spaceship and outer space, they're kinda different. Design your units, manage fleets, etc.
    Well it's Multiplayer, Online and Complex (and, massive, I guess...) I would say it qualifies.
    I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 05:36:45 pm »

IIRC you also have to deal with designing your own components out of a set of elements, each of which gives your components some desirable or undesirable qualities. Also, having a persistent world adds another layer of depth you don't have in EVE

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • Stay thirsty, my friends
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 05:39:18 pm »

No way that's real, there is amost as much weight in the handle as there is in the head, and that still doesn't explain how the ruler doesn't tip, the center of gravity is outside the edge of the board.

Ruler is attached to the table with some form of heavy duty adhesive. The ruler is bending upward because it is being pushed upward by the handle of the hammer.

Easy.
    I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
    Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 05:41:41 pm »

Well it's Multiplayer, Online and Complex (and, massive, I guess...) I would say it qualifies.

I'm not saying it doesn't qualify, I'm saying it's hard to say it's "more complex" than Eve. You probably can't do the same things that in Eve, and vice-versa.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
    • Torchlight Venturer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:20 pm »

well you can still make some comparisons. I mean, I doubt anyone would dispute the fact that, say, Panzer General was a more complex game then pong, even though their genres are not even close to comparable.
    I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
    • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »

EVE online is the top notch in this categoria and will expand the category in near future.

I suggest you try out Wurm online. It has things you mentioned similiar to UO :)
    Have fun.
    I tried Wurm and enjoyed it for a while, but I didn't like the PvP part, and in UO pvp system was one of my favourite (well, when we were not using SpeedHack and I had all my Injection scripts for clothing change set up properly).

Well, probably I am just an old UO fanboy fangrandpa so it's hard to please me with other stuff. I admit it :D.

And please, someone shut the EVE is GREAT/BAD discussion. You could discuss it in a separate topic as well. It was here for a looong time and a lot of times. Seriously, what's up with all the haters/fanboys.
    ▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
    ✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
    ✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
    • -_-
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 06:41:13 pm »

Where there are fanbois there are haters. It's the blu and red team from mmos.

I still recommend Anarchy online and Neocron 2. Both are dark and scifi and unfortunately N2 still has that unfinished buggy look to it, but the system is what makes me really happy about it. Both AO and N2 suffer from that old mmo issue, where you have this huge player base at the top, a moderate player base on the bottom and the middle area is pretty empty, so it gets hard to team at middle game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 06:43:42 pm »

I wouldn't call myself a hater. But the company and the game have demonstrated some pretty appalling behaviors before. That's why it's even ever been on my radar. I'd tell most people to stay away from a game where the devs were at one time actively involved with player guilds in scamming people.
    Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
    Quote from: Viktor Frankl
    When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    Quote from: Sindain
    Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
    Quote from: Eric Blank
    How will I cheese now assholes?
    Quote from: MrRoboto75
    Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deon

• Bay Watcher
    • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 06:47:32 pm »

I personally disliked EVE but I don't tell it everywhere because I consider it a personal opinion :). Let people try.
    ▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
    ✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
    ✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 06:49:29 pm »

C'mon Deon, yer being a forum nanny. This place is for opinions, personal or otherwise, after all.
    Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
    Quote from: Viktor Frankl
    When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    Quote from: Sindain
    Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
    Quote from: Eric Blank
    How will I cheese now assholes?
    Quote from: MrRoboto75
    Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 06:51:20 pm »

In terms of good space mmos I think a great one would be if somebody were to take freelancer as is, enlarge the world, and allow for 1k players on a server.
    Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8