Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Descent to *SPOILER*  (Read 33159 times)

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Re: Descent to *SPOILER*
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 07:42:43 pm »

To the OP:

You... you just... you beat the game. You, sir, have beaten the game at a level no one has done before. How does it feel?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 08:51:50 pm »

I have beaten this game too.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

I have beaten this game too.
Could you post your savegame and picture of your (adamantine?) fortress in hell?  I'm interested in these.

IMO: "Beating the game" should require more than just beating down the first clown batch.

I think this savegame upped my personal standards to require the demonstration of how *nothing* in the game can threaten your fort and how you dominate the area and have met all the threats there are. Building an adamantine fort in hell does this demonstration to me better than anything else I've seen so far, or accomplished myself.

I can only think of a Clown zoo to go with an adamantine fort in hell to be a better combo for a demonstration, But that's probably a matter of taste.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:23:06 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 06:51:20 pm »

Well, IIRC demons aren't immune to being webbed, so it could be possible. You'd probably need a wild GCS or two guarding your entrance.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mountain-King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:29 pm »

Well, IIRC demons aren't immune to being webbed, so it could be possible. You'd probably need a wild GCS or two guarding your entrance.
or a tame one.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 08:40:43 pm »

Tame ones don't web attack first.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mountain-King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 08:44:20 pm »

Tame ones don't web attack first.
that kind of sucks!

you could build turrets for them or something i don't know

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 11:38:29 pm »

I didn't even know that breaching hell and surviving was even possible, I thought the demons were infinite.... What did it take to kill them? Did you have to mod the dwarves to be like BCs or something?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:54 pm »

The demons are infinite, in the sense that there's an unlimited population of them. That just means they'll wander onto the map like other wild animals do, indefinitely. The initial spawn only occurs once and can be quite small if you're lucky (and demons made out of dust/blood/whatever will fall apart in seconds).

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:50 pm »

I didn't even know that breaching hell and surviving was even possible, I thought the demons were infinite.... What did it take to kill them? Did you have to mod the dwarves to be like BCs or something?

Actually, it glitched out, and only 3 demons spawned, and were immediately unspawned. They respawned with 2 new friends, and I killed all but one who hid in the caverns. I still colonized it (A little, I'm still not established at all yet), so I still won.

Here is the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3097

I feel awesome right now.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 08:17:20 am »

Actually, it glitched out, and only 3 demons spawned, and were immediately unspawned. They respawned with 2 new friends, and I killed all but one who hid in the caverns. I still colonized it (A little, I'm still not established at all yet), so I still won.
So you added [SPEED:0], [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK] and [NO_SLEEP] to the dwarves, headed straight down to hell and just hoped that you would come across the wimpiest demons the world ever saw? I'm so impressed. Please have my babies.

This is the fourth fort where I breached hell with the intention of beating them back and colonizing and the first one to succeed. I've tried a few different things, the most successful tactic so far has been to keep squads of primarily slashing dwarves in long, winding corridors. I don't do traps (do they even work with demons without gamey GCS workarounds?) and I personally dislike using cave-ins and other instakills. I'm not judging anyone's gameplay (except Aramco's) but I don't find it particularly fun. If you do fight them, try minimizing the exposure of dwarves to ranged attacks. Fight in corridors, on many different z-levels, position squads throughout the fort and use war animals as meat shields for non-ranged attacks. Set everything to be forbidden on death to keep the few civilians who might survive away. Activate those who wander down anyway, you might get lucky. After the first wave, like 3 pointed out, demons just wander in randomly, and never in large numbers. Some just hang around the edge of the map. During the 10 years I've spent building the hell fort, I haven't killed more than 20 demons and maybe 5 forgotten beasts. Surviving the first onslaught and the following tantrumfest is the challenge, building a fort down there just takes time and meticulous patrolling.

To the OP:

You... you just... you beat the game. You, sir, have beaten the game at a level no one has done before. How does it feel?
I'm sure someone has done it, but maybe without my level of exhibitionism. Still, I'm not gonna lie to you moonpie, it feels pretty good (1'000'000 geek points to the few sad people who get the reference).

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 09:50:36 am »

So you added [SPEED:0], [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK] and [NO_SLEEP] to the dwarves, headed straight down to hell and just hoped that you would come across the wimpiest demons the world ever saw? I'm so impressed. Please have my babies.
He never said that.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:49 am »

He never said that.
No, but it's in the save he posted.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 11:34:40 am »

He never said that.
No, but it's in the save he posted.

I just wanted to get down there faster. I planned on losing, I wanted to reclaim and destroy them then. I was actually a little sad when I only got a few.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:41 pm »

Great story, great fortress.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3