Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Mode switch failed  (Read 1261 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
[38c] Mode switch failed
« on: March 09, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

So I'm playing full screen version, and switch it to windowed mode to look up something on the wiki.  Then, when I try to make the game full screen again, an error pops up stating "Mode switch failed. Running in windowed mode."  It then sets me up with a larger window, with black space included (I had it turned on in the init file).
So I restart the game, and this time it goes straight to the error message above(I had it set to go straight to full screen in the init).  So I quit, go back to my backup file, which is an exact copy of the game when downloaded, and I get the same message.  I try restarting my computer, no change.  It may be a vista thing, but I'm not sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for posting, I fixed it myself; not quite sure how, though.  I ran DF in safe mode and the fullscreen worked fine.  In regular mode, I set the resolution to 800x600 and that worked as well.  Then I switched back to 1280x960, and set the init file's fullscreen resolution to that setting as well.  This also worked, though the font was still a little small.  Then I switched the init back to 800x600, and it miraculously worked.  I tried it with the unedited backup copy, and that worked too.  Computers are crazy.

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.