Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Guild 2  (Read 19567 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild 2
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:16 pm »

But is it less buggy than the previous Guild 2 games?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 09:01:15 pm »

I have purchased and loved each iteration of this game even through all the bugs, which continue. In my recent Renaissance game I encountered a game breaking bug where an election was interupted and now there are no more elections. Nobody can apply for the vacancies since two are pending. I am the only family in office but my members are dying of old age and that revenue will be gone soon. :(

I'm a sad panda.

yes, less buggy and still being patched.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 09:02:06 pm »

Yeah that is the major problem. If the script breaks or hangs, you're done. It is a great game though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »

How do you add a character ability?

In the second tutorial, it says I'm supposed to click a '+' next to the ability.

There is no +. I also tried clicking randomly and pressing every button on my keyboard. What am I supposed to do? I noticed the tutorial dialogue was off a bit in other spots.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2010, 11:26:12 pm »

The only bug I noticed in the first one was feasts being bugged, not allowing me to change residences. However In Renaissance I found several minor bugs, such as the camera getting stuck, courting not working, and that election bug. I will go back to playing the main one for now.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2010, 11:41:26 pm »

How do you add a character ability?

In the second tutorial, it says I'm supposed to click a '+' next to the ability.

There is no +. I also tried clicking randomly and pressing every button on my keyboard. What am I supposed to do? I noticed the tutorial dialogue was off a bit in other spots.

There will be a + sign when you go up in level, same with perks which are set intervals like level 2-3 is the first one

I just like the new professions myself Micro, seems like they are patching it though and thats great. I bought the game the day it was put on steam, and man it was unplayable. Glad it is getting better because it is really fun, nothing else like it. I wish there were though, something that had better craftsmanship
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:44:23 pm by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2010, 12:14:28 am »

Just picked up The Guild 2: Renaissance. Downloading now on Steam. I'll have to play around with it this weekend.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

I just picked up TG2:R. I am muddling my way through it. Is there any way to get a city style overview? Something that indicates if the city is generally wealthy or poor?

What kinds of things gives the Patron experience? How do you have any idea what special actions you can do in side of a building?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2010, 03:47:42 pm »

I just picked up TG2:R. I am muddling my way through it. Is there any way to get a city style overview? Something that indicates if the city is generally wealthy or poor?

What kinds of things gives the Patron experience? How do you have any idea what special actions you can do in side of a building?
Patrons gain experience by working in their shops, government stuff, fights, courting, learning. not much else.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2010, 02:13:53 pm »

So my quest for guild like greatness continues. I have a nice little business venture. I produce everything I need to keep the food and booze flowing at my bakery and tavern except a couple of resources. There is, however, a competing Tavern AND bakery in town. Can someone give me a quick guide on taking them out of business?

One of my sons is a rogue, if that helps at all.

When kids are growing up, does sending them to apprentices do anything beyond change their profession?

Do you gain any benefit for leaving dynasty members out of your part?

Finally, how do you give one of your children ownership of a building?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2010, 04:56:49 pm »

Man, I love playing churchmen. I started a game as a protestant scholar in Hamburg, mainly because I wanted to get high in the political game in Hamburg. (There's actually a position you can get elected in called cardinal, and one of the privileges is work miracles.)
Well there's no opposing protestant church in Hamburg but two catholic churches, so I was able to get good donations from the start. Once I could start producing Thesis Papers, I sent my workers out whenever I had the opportunity to read them in front of crowds waiting for catholic masses to start. Additionally, I managed to push my 10 rhetoric main character through some 24 hour sermons, raking in some 20k a day. Right now I've fully upgraded my first church, so I'm thinking of either getting titles for politics after getting a nice house or expanding into other cities, eventually proselytizing to the entire populace of the map.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2010, 01:41:06 pm »

I think I am done with TG2:R, a little disappointed.

I didn't experience many bugs. The big one I had was where the game would crash while saving, but I found a simple fix for it. I also think I managed to somehow break the election process. The mayor died and every time I tried to apply, over the course of 3 rounds it said “The city is about to upgrade, apply later”. Smaller bugs involved a lot of path finding issues, which really frustrated me. The maps are fixed, how on Earth can the path finding get confused? Also some times my carts would run into another cart and do this stupid cart circle dance. I would have no idea unless I happen to notice them spinning around like idiots. Good thing the color I picked stuck out like a sore thumb.

Other issues I had with the game were functionality things. For instance, if you set a shop on automate, you can't assign your characters to do anything, the automation will just make them stop. No work for your character means no experience points.

The next thing that got under my skin was that it was almost impossible to find information about… pretty much anything. If you want to set your spy to follow that guy who owns the competing bakery, you have to manually track down the baker and click on the competitor directly. If you happen to mess up, you have track the guy down again. Over and over.

Also there is no indication of the population break down of the town. One of the first tips is “Hey, make good that fit your population.” You can see that the weak beer is good for poor people. How many people in this town are poor? You have no way of knowing.

When I did finally find the target I was looking for, I sent a rogue after him to kill him. He ran right up, past the guards, and started a fight, only to get destroyed. What the hell? No indication of where the guards are, on logic on the part of the rogue. Just start be-line to his death. Turns out I had targeted the wrong guy away (see the issue above).

Anyways. “I love the idea of this game” pretty much sums up my feels.

TL;DR No access to information, stupid AI, and bugs should make this game a pass for everyone.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2010, 03:29:34 pm »

Yes very much ditto on the finding people thing, as for how many poor people are in a town? well everyone who doesn't own a business, for every guy that does there are five or six people who don't. Poor goods tend to sell well everywhere, it's mostly about not inundating the market with any particular good.

Also when the black plague spreads everywhere it would be nice if it could burn out. But no not even when I'm dishing out pain medicine from three different hospitals, it makes me ludicrous amounts of money but it's such a pain to get my own people cured when they contract it. It's annoying as hell, I want so badly to get rid of it, but when I cure people they just run off and contract it again. I blame the infected wenches, I may have to start blowing up their wenching holes.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:42 pm »

Fikes I am sorry about your frustration and many people would gladly give you tips they have experimented with if you ask. However it is absurd to tell everyone to pass on the game because you, personally, have trouble with the mechanics. You see how that's silly, right?

Most of us adapt to the particular limitations of whichever program we are using at the moment and wish for improvement in the next iteration.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2010, 07:58:52 pm »

Fikes I am sorry about your frustration and many people would gladly give you tips they have experimented with if you ask. However it is absurd to tell everyone to pass on the game because you, personally, have trouble with the mechanics. You see how that's silly, right?

Most of us adapt to the particular limitations of whichever program we are using at the moment and wish for improvement in the next iteration.

/lolwutpear
Since when are we not supposed to tell people to buy or not to buy in our reviews?

As a totally unreleated side note, I did ask a handful a questions that did not get answered.It should go without saying that no one has to answer questions, I just wanted to adress your last statement directly.

I guess what I should have said is, only pick up TG2 if you have exaushed every other business sim/god game and still have 20 bucks. Every other one I have played gives you better access to information, has better pathfinding, and is, as a whole, more interesting.

If you play the game and like it, good on you. Infact, I’d love to hear the stories. But if you are just some guy with 20 bucks in your pocket picking between this and Tropico, go with Tropico (or Port Royal, SimCity 4, Patriacian, Civ City Rome, Ceasear, Pharoah, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Rail Road Tycoon, or CitiesXL)

You really should not have to “adapt to the particular limitations” of whichever game you happen to buy. Game companies should put forth some effort to make their game at least as assecible as a similar game that came out 5 years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6