Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sawmill v.02 - the new wood industry?  (Read 7271 times)

VeldyEldy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sawmill v.02 - the new wood industry?
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:18 am »

Hey guys.
I tried searching and couldn't find anything, apart from a lot of talk about this, so I thought I would have a stab at it, for better or worse.  :D
The angle I took with this was a slow-growing plant to be grown on farm plots that can act like a tree, and produce wood. I think that it would work quite well, while remaining balanced, due to grow time, though thats up to you to decide.

DFFD Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3096
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:56:27 pm by VeldyEldy »

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sawmill - the new wood industry
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »

Cool idea. It would be useful also for aesthetics, to grow trees for parks and such.

Maybe you can come up with other ideas, like an actual Sawmill :D

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:56:04 pm »

Did you add the reaction and workshop to the entity?

VeldyEldy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:08:07 pm »

Did you add the reaction and workshop to the entity?

Yeah, both the workshops can be built, and the plants grow, but the "Strip" job to convert it to wood never appears.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »

I may be talking complete rubbish here but try

REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:WOOD
instead of
REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD

i believe that when specifying plant materials you need an extra term (because you could have something like the following as reagents PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:MILL, PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:ALCOHOL)
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

VeldyEldy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 02:33:06 pm »

I may be talking complete rubbish here but try

REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:WOOD
instead of
REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD

i believe that when specifying plant materials you need an extra term (because you could have something like the following as reagents PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:MILL, PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:ALCOHOL)

Tried, unfortunately no joy. I'll continue to work on it, along with a 'mineshaft' building that i've seen around, but never raws to.
thanks anyway  ;D

EDIT: Interesting behaviour - plants are now grown, and picked, added to stockpile, and taken to the sawmill. they are 'used' instantly, but produce no product, and there is no job option.

EDIT II: NOW WORKING!  :D I implemented an intermediate plant type, which was classified as a tree, so you grow a different plant type, of the same name, and it changes into logs of the tree variant at the saw mill.

DFFD link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3096

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:21:29 pm by VeldyEldy »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Re: Sawmill v.01 - the new wood industry?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 03:26:07 pm »

Downloading, sounds awesome. Currently I have a huge tower cap farm on one of my fortresses and it just doesn't work out like I want it to.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »

Where is the sawmill workshop raws?

EDIT: nvm, found raws for both the sawmill building and plank reactions.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:12:09 pm by vhappylurker »

Toxicles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kiss me I'm hazardous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 04:11:52 pm »

I tried doing sawmill type things, but from what I saw, there are a few current problems:

Logs, even if you take the [WOOD] tag off of them are still used like wood.

Trying to turn a log into more logs in a lumber mill type custom workshop tends to crash the game.  Not quite sure why.  If you figure out how to get that to work, kudos to you.

If you make wood "bars" with a reaction, carpenters ignore them.

Either way, if you can get it to work, it's an idea I'd love to see in the game.  I couldn't figure it out, but maybe you will.
Erush Kolokol cancels eat: on fire.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 04:29:09 pm »

Couple of things you might want to consider:

have seperate files for the reactions and plants so there is no confict with other mods and easier to install.
e.g.

reaction_sawmill.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Might want to consider increasing the amount of harvest needed to produce wood, either by needing multiple reagent (e.g. REAGENT:A:5) or as above as a partial product; to make someone dedicate a reasonable amount of farmspace/workers to produce the wood. (I've also bumped up the grow time to 3000, but all my plants have been increased to 500->2000 grow time)

The material values of the wood and alcohol seem high (alcohol values for standard plants are between 1 (sewer brew) and 5 (sun berries), would expect wood alcohol to be at the lower end of the range.

Waiting until 30.13 to start my next game so these are all theoretical changes i have made to my files.

Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

VeldyEldy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:56:18 pm »

Fixed the entry to dffd, didnt add the building raws, like an idiot.

Couple of things you might want to consider:
+snip+
Might want to consider increasing the amount of harvest needed to produce wood, either by needing multiple reagent (e.g. REAGENT:A:5) or as above as a partial product; to make someone dedicate a reasonable amount of farmspace/workers to produce the wood. (I've also bumped up the grow time to 3000, but all my plants have been increased to 500->2000 grow time)

The material values of the wood and alcohol seem high (alcohol values for standard plants are between 1 (sewer brew) and 5 (sun berries), would expect wood alcohol to be at the lower end of the range.

Agree with this, and I've made appropriate changes. I'll make custom txt files in the morning. (I'm on GMT time)

Oh, and to use this mod, you'll have to generate a new world in order for the reactions to work to make logs.
if you generate a world, then update to a newer version down the line, however, you should be fine.

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sawmill v.02 - the new wood industry?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:32:47 am »

Is it possible to modify the reaction to produce a number of bulbs equal to the amount of stalks consumed?  I looked at the wiki and it seems possible but I'll be thrown into magma if I can figure out how to create the [PRODUCT] tag for it.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 02:20:57 pm »

Shouldn't this be under DF Modding? Wait, it is. When did I get into the modding threads?! I thought I was in DF Gameplay Questions! Some kind of time warp... Anyway, I've never thought about this but it seems useful. I guess I'll download it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:24:49 pm by Aramco »
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 01:24:48 pm »

Maybe im just stupid, but how do you get the plant to, eumh, plant....
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »

Did you edit the plant raws to include wood stalks? There should be a text file the right raws in it, but just in case, here's what you need to put into the plant_standard file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, you need to make sure the entity_default has [PERMITTED_REACTION:STRIP_WOOD_STALK] added and this in the reactions_other:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:STRIP_WOOD_STALKS]
   [NAME:Strip Wood Stalks]
   [BUILDING:SAWMILL:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:4:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:WOOD]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD_BRANCH:WOOD]
   [SKILL:CARPENTER]

After that, you just need to plant the wood stalk bulbs like any other underground crop.
Pages: [1] 2