Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first interesting Fortress, Daggermined.  (Read 1787 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first interesting Fortress, Daggermined.
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »

Didn't know where else to post this. Only been playing DF about a week and wanted to blog talk about how much fun I'm having.

Not only did it get a kick-ass random name by default but it was also a perfect layout. River right near by, dug straight down and hit multiple iron ore and coal. At the end of just the fourth year but already had so much fun.

Spring 1051 - Finally worked out the noble page. Omg I can't believe I didn't know about broker/manager. Manager is awesome. j-m and just set up everything you need with ease!
Autumn 1051 - Someone asking for Silk went crazy, with a baby on their person. They continued to do this. The baby crawled around for a few weeks but no one helped it... It died of infection and didn't even get buried in the graveyard (I guess babies don't count as people?).
Winter 1051 - First goblin attack. Got to see weapon traps in action for the first time. Limbs everywhere :D
Spring 1052 - Goblins retaliated, they killed basically every cat and even kittens. Thanks for doing my dirty work. Before getting captured. I now use cats on chains (platinum ones because I'm not that much of an asshole) to lure goblins on to cages.
Spring 1052 - Miasma outbreak, turns out alerting your civs to stay inside is bad when you have butcherys full of animals. I'd totally forgotten doors (other than bedrooms) so it spread pretty far. Easily sorted when the alert went off though.
Autumn 1052 - Absolutely huge amount of migrants. I blame the boost in economy from stabilising coke production and iron smelting. Drafted 8 to a spearman army and 8 to a marksman army.
Summer 1053 - Huge battle with the Goblins, they ambushed the human traders as they entered the map and the humans didn't stand a chance. Spearmen are brutal fighters, marksmen... Not so much. Six civ deaths in total D: No military deaths, minor wounds all round except for one marksman who is paralysed in hospital (He's lost the use of his legs due to motor nerve damage).
Late Summer 1053 - Mayor gets appointed, says we need more shields, then bans exporting shields. I blame the civ deaths from the last battle <_<
Winter 1053 - After the huge battle I decided to up my defences. Dug away all the access points that let you get above my fort and walled off a chunk of the front approach, leaving a small entry that is laced with cage traps. I'm thinking of trying siege engines next.

This embark has easily been my best one. This is my first time using military properly, using admins/nobles properly, having a metal industry. Can't wait to see what happens in the next few years D: Only problem is, it's already slowing down. Is it too late to disable things like weather and temperature, or can it be done after embarking?

Edit: Forgot the e in Daggermined :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:57:39 pm by Dwarfotaur »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first interesting Fortress, Daggermined.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:03:26 am »

You can disable temperature at any time in the init files.

Also, nice fort!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 07:19:53 am »

I really shouldn't find that second entry this funny, but... I can't help it. Beating up your own child because you couldn't find some silk... oh DF, you continue to find ways to amuse me in increasingly morbid and disturbing ways. <3
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:42:02 am »

Late Summer 1053 - Mayor gets appointed, says we need more shields, then bans exporting shields. I blame the civ deaths from the last battle <_<
Wise dwarf, he is.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:16:06 am »

Good to see it going well. Some pointers:

Siege engines are an ancient relic from when the game was 2D only. They weren't adapted for the new 3D environment thus only ballistae are of any use on flat terrain. See wiki for other important details about them. Metal heads on the ballista bolts may matter now, whereas in 40d they did not.

Your mayor makes all these orders about shields because he likes shields. It's in his personality profile.

You'll want to get rid of the trash that's accummulating outside with so many dead goblins. Piles of silk clothing and low-grade metal gear still count towards the item spam. Too many items and FPS suffers. Gratz, you've played a fort long enough to discover the perils of lagggggg! You are now beyond newbie status in my book.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:42:41 am »

Digging out a cistern the size of the entire embark, 1 Z-Level deep. This is how you get lag. Stones stones stones stones stones stones stones stones stones stones.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:18:04 am »

It's been about two years now, not much to report. Much of the same has happened, I made another 8 dwarf squad and some more cage traps. Attacks have been low but I've been capturing goblins and releasing them in a sort of arena. I use the arena to train various dwarves. I have a good story about that later though. I have 108 population now, 12 civ deaths total, poor guys always get caught by an ambush. Most of them don't do much though. Alcohol supply is infinite and so is food, I've stopped increasing the stockpile size and told all my fishermen/hunters to stop. I let the fields just overgrow and they're harvested when needed. I think the mistake I made was quarry bush meals... My other tab in the food screen is like 800 now lol. I have about 40 idle dwarves at any given time, what's a good way to utilize them? Part of me is tempted to dig out another fort underground and assign some of them to that burrow. I'll supply it with water and have their own farms and stuff (Dunno if that'll work, part of me believes the AI will just ignore it and treat it as part of the main fort).

I decided not to go for siege engines and instead went for magma. First I built a tower just outside the main approach that can be only be accessed from the main fort, I then stick my marks dwarves up there so they can take all the decent shots (goblins mainly attack over higher ground), there's a nicely stocked ammo stockpile inside too. To find magma though, I tunnelled straight down till I got the hot rock warning and expanded outwards to find a pool of it. Instead I hit a certain precious metal and decided it was too risky to continue looking for magma (hot rock warnings everywhere). So I carried what little of it I could back up to my furnaces. This is where I discover the long and confusing process of processing it! Fast forward a long time and I finally have one dwarf with a full suit of armour, a cloak and a battleaxe made of it.

This is where the arena comes back in. I put him alone in the arena and released 7 goblins (unarmed) at him. It was over literally in about 10 seconds. The combat logs had one decapitation almost instantly. Others were cut clean in half across the mid-section (I think that's what the log said). It was awesome and I can't wait till I use him in a real battle :P I have just gathered some more to try and outfit another dwarf with the same set up.

Game is really slow now though. It's taking me hours of real time to pass one season (well that's what it feels like). I guess I should disable weather and temperature. What's the best way of destroying (as in deleting from the game, obliterating) items? I have a literal 30x30 refuse pile filled with bodies, bones, shells, etc (from the sieges, butchers and fishery) and it keeps filling up. Not to mention there are fast amounts of clothing almost everywhere.

What can I expect from here? I've breached the cavern and had nothing come out of it (earlier game had some evil dragon destroy me). Goblin keep ambushing but that's about it. Does it ever get more difficult?

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:42:25 am »

You could put everything you don't need into a large room and pour magma over it, melting everything, that might solve your problem (Try to use material that's magma-safe). I think your far enough to start a MEGAPROJECT! I personal like to build Pyramids with water in them, once i had lots of fun when the base block got destroyed and all of the magma flowed right through my stockpiles and workshops.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:46:32 am by Comrade »

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:53 am »

If you've got lots of idle dwarves, set them to only haul, then build a raising bridge. Hook it to a lever, raise it, set a 1x1 garbage dump under it, mark everything useless for dumping, and lower the bridge to atom smash everything.
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:30 pm »

Eventually goblins will get bolder and begin sieging your fort regularly. Also, titans and forgotten beasts will show up to kill things. I'm surprised you haven't gotten any of those things, because all three (sieges, titans, FBs) are activated at, among other things, a population of 80.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:10:39 pm »

Eventually goblins will get bolder and begin sieging your fort regularly. Also, titans and forgotten beasts will show up to kill things. I'm surprised you haven't gotten any of those things, because all three (sieges, titans, FBs) are activated at, among other things, a population of 80.

You can still get things like cyclops and ettins at lower populations, but they're not too big a threat if you've got a decent militia or traps.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »

When you feel ready to commit suicide, dig out all of that deep metal. And I mean "suicide".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 08:11:39 pm »

If you're gonna have a fort called Daggermined, the least you can do is build a neuralizer chamber.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove