Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Addicted to Hermits!  (Read 2846 times)

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Addicted to Hermits!
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:26:41 pm »

Hi all,

Having tried the hermit challenge for the first time last week, I have to say I am thoroughly hooked!  The pure isolation of it is fantastic, and great for coming up with architecture plans for larger forts (In this current case, just a solid gold pyramid, nothing too fancy).

However, I have a rather obscure question.

How important are the "Soul" attributes to a hermit?  I have noticed that my chap is surrounded by stone and refuses to dump any more.  Is this a byproduct of his willpower?

Here's his character, pretty good for a hermit I reckon:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, does anyone want to share what they get up to in their 1-dwarf wonders?  At the moment, I'm seeing if I can get enough power going to hoik magma up 100 z-levels. I want to find a more creative way of disposing of cats, brats and diplomats than the standard atom smasher.  It's fun, but it lacks a certain...finesse.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted to Hermits!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:30:48 pm »

You ought not to feed him so much McKittenBurgers! Look how fat he is, no wonder he can't get any work done.

Alternatively, rename him SuperSizeHermit and carve a McDonalds out of microcline.

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:39 pm »

Try the new McUrist!  Double magma grilled for that authentic mountain flavour!  Bada-ba ba baaa...

In other news:

Pyramid Phase 1 complete: The migrants have flattened the entire embark and dumped the stone under the atom smasher, under which their own atoms were duly smashed.  Now to dig down for gold and magma! 

Edit: 280 dead dwarves so far! *Cackle*
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:44:16 pm by Arbitrax »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »

Pyramid Phase 1 complete: The migrants have flattened the entire embark and dumped the stone under the atom smasher, under which their own atoms were duly smashed.  Now to dig down for gold and magma! 

The Armok is strong within you.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:10:38 pm »

The Armok is strong within you.
Don't you know that is the true basis of Dwarf Fortress.  To kill as many dwarves needed to fullfil your own needs, I love Communism
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »

some character traits such as

1) enjoys the company of others
2) likes helping others

might lead to a few problems later on in your fort life...such as talking to the rocks... thats why he isnt dumping them
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »

Not to worry, that guy managed to pull the atom smashing lever, then walk UNDER the atom smasher as it descended.   >:(

Meh, the gallery of workshops I had was asymmetric anyway, so I would have abandoned out of OCD sooner or later.

New Hermit!

This time I've gone for a volcano embark with mica ahoy, should make dorf disposal a lot more funTM

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:38:33 pm »

The fact that your hermit prefers to consume jaguar excites me in ways that scare me.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:44 pm »

Not to worry, that guy managed to pull the atom smashing lever, then walk UNDER the atom smasher as it descended.   >:(

Meh, the gallery of workshops I had was asymmetric anyway, so I would have abandoned out of OCD sooner or later.

New Hermit!

This time I've gone for a volcano embark with mica ahoy, should make dorf disposal a lot more funTM

This is why I always make the area under atom smashers restricted space and put the lever far away. Having that happen to your mayor and watching the subsequent tantrum spiral will do that to you.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:20:20 pm »

I jus build the atomsmasher in a closed pit and dump the garbage into the pit. Usually keeps accidents to a minimum that way.