Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [minor spoilers] Do I have guaranteed room to plan?  (Read 1960 times)

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[minor spoilers] Do I have guaranteed room to plan?
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:43:39 pm »

Simple question, really: is there a minimum depth for the various hidden underground features?

I ask because I'm interested in planning out a fortress in advance, and I want to know how many Z-levels I can work with, without risking my bedrooms crashing into Krazy Kaves.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: [minor spoilers] Do I have guaranteed room to plan?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »

The absolute minimum depth for cavern features to begin appearing is 5 z-levels below ground, and it's usually closer to 10.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:24 pm »

You can alter it yourself with the world parameters.

There should be a list of options to insert layers between features. You can't miss it.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:07:14 pm »

Yea usually your first cavern is around 10 z-levels but,  you could be incredibly unlucky and keep digging and not hit your 1st or 2nd cavern and end up striking the 3rd
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:21 pm »

If you know about how big a microcline (or whatever) patch is that is basically the biggest pillar of rock you can find to dodge a cavern layer through. If you were to flatten a cavern it's got a general trend of having about a third of the space full of rock chunks in that general size range, a third being big open patches, and a third being these squiggly little tunnels. Those last two are definitely not evenly spaced though so any particular site will have more of one than the other. If you are just making a single tile stairway you'll pretty often sink it through a little spot between the squiggly passages.

If you're really set on planning it out after the first few layers just send a miner off to some corner of the map and have him dig down and around till you find the cavern then tell him to dig little spots in the walls of the cavern so he'll run out and explore. There are only a few creatures do there you really need to not run into to make it back out alive, and you have a good shot of none of them being present right at the start. Then once you have mapped out the cavern just let him come back up and stick a floor over the stairs he dug. It spoils the surprise of digging into the place but it sounds like you don't want surprises so much. Or if you do there are always layers two and three.

Note: if you generate islands you tend to get like 20 z levels down to the caverns and tons between them. It's hard to find embarks with less than 50 levels to the bottom on those. I guess the caverns start at the edges of the map and with deep oceans there it is hard for them to migrate up to where they are supposed to be. No-edge-ocean embarks have much more predictable cavern depths so you can just set it to about what you want in world gen.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:43 pm »

The Cavern Level adv world gen parameters have been pretty responsive in my experience.  I've done several 1-cavern sites, with extra layers added above and/or below it.  I often wind up with several more z-levels above/below than the set number, but that's usually an 'error' in the desired direction, and an understandable aspect of the way caverns vary in height.

Those parameters are probably the simplist, and most direct, way to get what you're looking for.