Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What happens if a black hole enters a black hole?  (Read 3949 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if a black hole enters a black hole?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29:23 am »

I like to think of the whole time travel paradox thing to have a solution of creating an alternate universe in which such circumstances will be possible. Simply, time travel doesn't exist, but instead operates as generating a new universe and walking into a specified time frame. No paradoxes are formed, and a new reality is anchored; yet it still follows standard time procedure. Such things can allow for duplicates to exist in the same space without giving God a headache.

I like to consider them carbon-copy universes, or a xerox-verse. Just consider the kill off as hitting the abort button and drawing in the rest yourself.

Yeah, my chips are in on the infinite realities, at different times (offset by mili-mili-mili-miliseconds!) and different places (offset by mili-mili-mili-milimeters!)
(Thus, Dejávous)

As for time travel... Apparently, it's impossible to travel faster than light. Even if you were to charge a spaceship with a constant source of energy to keep increasing its speed through the universe, you can only reach 99.99% of the speed of light. After that point, you begin to slow down, whilst still travelling at that speed.
By doing this, you are able to slow yourself down, whilst others around you are at normal speed.
One day could be one year for others.

Thus, time travel.

If a magnetic train track was built and kept increasing the speed of the train, you could travel in time on earth.

(warning; english joke below)
Unless those bastards keep nicking the train cables.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:35 am »

Time travel is only possible to go forward in time. It's just the twin paradox without the twin. Or more specifically, the entire Earth acts as the twin. You don't even need to travel close to the speed of light. Simply moving at a faster speed than the Earth is enough, though it's only at relativistic speeds, or with very long periods of time, that you actually notice it.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 12:36:03 am »

Time travel is only possible to go forward in time.
That would be the fact I missed to mention from the Stephen Hawkings thing; he said all that radiation stuff about going back in time. =|
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 12:48:57 am »

That's something that always bothered me about light travel and such, comparatively to warp fields like wormholes.

Aren't wormholes essentially pipelines with walls moving at the speed of light? That would be how I'd assume them to be able to generate short, yet far, distance travels. But considering such things, they'd have to be able to have enough mass to converge and propel enough force into a pipeline shape. The next best thing I can think of that can generate that much force would either be solid dark matter (or a black hole) or a cosmic hurricane.

But back to my argument about light travel and time dialation. Why would your time frame slow down as you speed up, whereas everyone elses' moves as a regular pace? I suppose a good way to put it into perspective would be really fast small animals, compared to larger creatures. I think speed could be a relative thing.

Suppose you were the size of a bug. How much would you actually be able to see, and how fast would you be seen moving? Wouldn't your perspective, by scale, be reduced proportionally? So to put it, would bugs even be able to see the stars in the sky the same way we do? Now what about creatures larger than us? Would they be able to see more? Ignore the anatomy of the creatures, and just imagine being scaled to such sizes, and imagine the differences.

When we consider things by proportion, wouldn't light speed be somewhat relative, even at a so-called 'infinite' speed? I would imagine if there were such things as hyperspace and whatnot, they're just faster forms of traveling through space, just you're going to get hammered through tons of light (and probably be as visible as a sonic boom of light leaving a shadow trail behind, which oddly enough, could somewhat be noticed in a blink). Sure, you won't be seen exactly, seeing as you're going as fast as something only tangible upon impact; but if at a sufficient scale, mass, and etc. I would say that space can similar physics to something going ridiculous speeds in an atmosphere, just in space. Just replace displaced air (SEE: Shockwave) with light. I could only imagine that if you're going at really really fast speeds (consider time delays for the light to reach us from across the universe; think Hubble), ever wonder why some shooting stars really are shooting stars? That could possibly be a planet-sized ship capable of post-light speeds, and we're seeing it travel one hell of a distance in a short amount of time years after it made it's jump.

Oh, and what about cosmic gravitational waves that could form because of such jumps. I mean, like with my example, an Earth-sized ship going double-rainbow (AKA- Ludicrous Speed) would leave one hell of a gravity wave behind and rock a few things around in the local area until the gravity settles down. I can't believe I'm referencing space as an extra-dimensional sea. Speaking of dimensions...

Scaling further up and going with dimensions, what can we say about observational dimensions? I would think of that being something rather fractal in nature. We can't be entirely sure our point of origin, but I would imagine we're not only in 3 or 4 dimensions. We can only see that much. And other progressive stage above or below is essentially a carbon-copy at a dimensionally larger or smaller scale. Time/Space or God is a mandelbrot. That or a platypus.

I think an awesome property to take advantage of would have to be dimensional fields. Easy travel by jumping a dimension or 2 above us in order to go massive distances. Let's just not make certain locals *frumpy* or we'll no longer be *happy campers*.

EDIT:
Corrected some grammar and added a few more notes/questions.

EDIT EDIT:
Thinking of space as an XD-sea, I could imagine if there are creatures that can tolerate living in space (however unlikely that may sound), hoo boy, space sharks. Nightmare fuel anyone? Hell, XD-sea creatures in general? We'd be equivalent to microbes that we look at through microscopes.

...And then we go back to my earlier argument about scale perspective (and the dimensional fractal effect example I mentioned earlier as well as the relativity of scale and observed speed). How much CAN we actually see? We could be in a petri dish for all we know, and the stars in the sky are actually reflections off one impossibly titanic lens of both the water droplet we're settled in, and the microscope looking at us (showing us more than there actually is in the universe). We're evolving at ridiculous speeds to a god observing us regularly in mere moments. UFOs could be micro-machines they send in to micromanage this 'special cell' for all we know.

My God, I think we're in the Twilight Zone. Where reality is unrealistic, and our vampires sparkle in the sunlight.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:13:02 am by Itnetlolor »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 05:08:36 am »

Oh, wow. For a while I thought you were being serious with that stuff.
You almost got me there.

(I also want to know what you're smoking and where to get some)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »

Oh, wow. For a while I thought you were being serious with that stuff.
You almost got me there.

(I also want to know what you're smoking and where to get some)
This is how my mind is when I no longer care what I am talking or thinking about. In a way, it's nice to feel like that again.

BTW, if I were smoking something, it would level me out. Nonetheless, that was fun to write down.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:43:05 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 2 [3]