Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How shall we proceed? (you can change your answer at any time)

Let this discussion run its course.
- 2 (22.2%)
Move on to a new topic (suggest something).
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Discussion of the Week: "Is the Internet detrimental to humanity?"  (Read 5158 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion of the Week: "Is the Internet detrimental to humanity?"
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2010, 02:55:12 pm »

And the greek philosophers were right on that one. Mass literacy has indeed crippled everyone's ability to memorize things like epic poems, and society hasn't fallen apart because of that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 07:40:27 pm »

I'd say the poems are a lot safer on the internet. Since any computer can store any (publicly available- and then some) information, there will be no Burning of the Library of Alexandria which leaves society-changing technology undiscovered for nearly two thousand years.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43:47 pm »

I believe Google is running an archive scanning project for that very reason.

I suppose that could also be seen as a bad thing though, too - I mean, once information is out there, you can generally never get rid of it.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 12:52:09 am »

Two thousand years from now, web archeologists will be getting some really wierd ideas about current sexual norms.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2010, 03:39:14 am »

"Video games will eventually be able to test for any human trait, including the ability to lead and resistance to the detrimental effects of power." As more of a true or false start.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2010, 03:43:40 am »

I ask: "How do you know you can trust the words in that book?"

Because academic literature goes through a meticulous peer review process to make sure it is.

Ha ha.

And the greek philosophers were right on that one. Mass literacy has indeed crippled everyone's ability to memorize things like epic poems, and society hasn't fallen apart because of that.
I wouldn't say crippled.  If you want to learn how to, you can fairly easily. 

It'd be like saying that the automobile crippled everyone's ability to use buggy whips.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2010, 04:11:42 am »

It's seems as though we're discussing the web more than the internet. I would have to say that the internet is definitely not detrimental to humanity, in fact it's an enormous benefit. Culturally life on the web(merely one aspect of the net) can get pretty brutal, but the underlying technology connects almost our entire planet. If something goes wrong somewhere we are able to react more quickly to it, saving more lives and money than was ever possible before the internet emerged. Before phones it could take months, sometimes it was to late to help out in a major disaster. Now with the eyes in the skies hooked directly into the net we get information almost instantaneously.

Like someone else stated, it's a tool and how it is used plays a major role in its effect on humanity. I think the detriment to humanity is the lack of parental control over how children use the cultural force that is the www. Most parents would not let their kids roam a major city all day and night without any supervision, but they have no problem letting their kid grow up on the web. I'm not calling for censorship, I love the web the way it is, but I do think parents need to teach their children how to use the web to their advantage and not fall into the many pitfalls that an unrestricted system can offer.

My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2010, 04:59:40 am »

A lot of threads get necroed lately. Hmmm.

Anyway, as for the parental control, and generally dealing with their kids' growing up with computers - the problem is that nobody knows how to actually do it. It's a completely new situation in which the present-day parents have found themselves in. There were no previous generations facing similar problems, on whose mistakes we* could learn.

*Not a parent myself. "We" meaning our generation.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2010, 06:38:41 am »

I disagree, not knowing how to raise an internet ready kid was my mom's generations problem. I'm 33 and grew up online and we weren't rich or anything either. At this point you have people who grew up online raising kids. They should know the dangers and issues that can arise. Parents talk to their kids about drugs and sex, they should also be talking to them about the web.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2010, 07:54:16 am »

I ask: "How do you know you can trust the words in that book?"

Because academic literature goes through a meticulous peer review process to make sure it is.

And academic literature is far more efficiently distributed electronically, and most printed reading material is not academic literature.
But most don't have access to the academic material, since that's behind pay-per-view systems or in on-line magazines with payed subscriptions...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2010, 11:39:41 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:45:04 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2010, 01:21:26 pm »

scientific magazines often provide articles free of charge
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »

I vote new topic, and suggest we debate the institution of mandatory swim training in elementary school.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2010, 05:33:37 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:45:24 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »

That'd be an interesting debate. It'd kind of suck for people like me who sink like so much granite.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]