Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves stealing from Trade Caravan  (Read 1003 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves stealing from Trade Caravan
« on: November 20, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »

So my dwarves were starving and there is no food available anywhere.  As the trade caravan is moving toward my fortress, half of my colony begins streaming outside to the caravan.  They start picking up meat and hauling back!  By the time the caravan arrives, they have nothing to trade!  The food didn't last long anyway, as half my colony still died.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves stealing from Trade Caravan
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »

As I mentioned last time this came up this isn't a bug.

Hungry dwarves will steal food from the caravans. This is coded, intended behavior.
Solution: don't starve your dwarves.

The only thing which may be a bug is that if the caravan had only food on it (so that when they arrive at the trade depot you cannot give them extra stuff to offset the difference) then there's no way to directly placate the merchants. The best you can do is give some offerings to the civilization, which as I understand it, isn't as efficient as if you'd been able to just give them enough trade goods initially.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlStar:
<STRONG>As I mentioned last time this came up this isn't a bug.

Hungry dwarves will steal food from the caravans. This is coded, intended behavior.
Solution: don't starve your dwarves.

The only thing which may be a bug is that if the caravan had only food on it (so that when they arrive at the trade depot you cannot give them extra stuff to offset the difference) then there's no way to directly placate the merchants. The best you can do is give some offerings to the civilization, which as I understand it, isn't as efficient as if you'd been able to just give them enough trade goods initially.</STRONG>

This is not a bug by your definition, or by Toady's?

I haven't seen his comment on this yet.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »

quote:
As I mentioned last time this came up this isn't a bug.  

Well people are just going to keep bringing it up as a bug unless Toady acknowledges it's not, or there is some kind of retribution by the traders for stealing.  Its probably going to seems peculiar to everyone who hasn't seen it before.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »

Took me a little while to find it, but here's the caravan-robbing thread where Toady talks about the problem.