Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Horrifying/Disturbing moments in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 18112 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrifying/Disturbing moments in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 09:14:25 pm »

Not much,

Except the dwarf mason getting trapped inside the monument while building a wall, and his fellow mason WALLING HIM IN.

Must... mod in... amontillado...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 09:16:33 pm »

Slightly meta/forum-related example - I just non-sarcastically, unexaggeratedly used the phrase "orgy of destruction."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »

Not much,

Except the dwarf mason getting trapped inside the monument while building a wall, and his fellow mason WALLING HIM IN.

Must... mod in... amontillado...

For the love of God, Montressor!
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:43 pm »

I learned recently that trying to crack open the HFS with only 10 legendary swordmaster Dwarves as your defense squad... doesn't work so great, even if they are all in masterwork funmetal armor.  Especially not when you're up against roughly 10 times more Fun than your defense force can handle.  Needless to say, there were limbs, torsos, heads, and ostensibly intact bodies everywhere.  And blood.  Oh my there was a lot of blood.  I didn't think Dwarves had that much in them, to be honest.

Actually, quite hilariously, I found that my frequently-cycling-every-10-seconds military squads kept getting swiftly Legendary-grade wrestlers mere seconds before their untimely deaths.  Apparently the HFS is not just Fun, it's also educational!  135 Dwarves later, I'm sure my fort's almost-all-Legendary-Wrestler conscripted army would have been proud of their achievements if they weren't so busy being dead.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:10:26 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:57 pm »

What were you thinking?!?! Everyone know that even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.  The key is many and i mean many cave-in traps and very narrow twisting corridors.  But you know DF losing is fun and educational
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:22 pm »

Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Sigged.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:12 pm »

What were you thinking?!?! Everyone know that even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.  The key is many and i mean many cave-in traps and very narrow twisting corridors.  But you know DF losing is fun and educational

I can sum up what I was thinking quite succinctly.  "Damn it, my FPS is shot to hell.  I'm not abandoning another fort to an FPS death.  Crack that seal!  Blood for the blood god!  Woo!"

To their credit, they managed to off a solid two dozen clowns from the advance wave before the whole circus arrived and overwhelmed them.
Sanity is for the weak.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 12:09:06 am »

A giant attacked a war dog; there was only 6 entries in the combat log. Simple, quick, but brutal and horrifying:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had an elephant (0.31.12) do this to both my dogs about 3 months into a game (used the "Play Now!" option).  My hunter moped for about 3 months, then went fishing from then on, despite the fact I purchased new dogs from the caravans, trained them as hunting dogs and assigned them to him.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:39 am »

Recently I noticed that one of the invading trolls was wearing mostly troll leather armor.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 12:59:21 am »

Recently I noticed that one of the invading trolls was wearing mostly troll leather armor.

Oh hell, that's nothing compared to the human town I found in Adventurer mode once that was surprisingly well-decked-out with Elf leather clothing and Elf bone accessories.  I half-wondered if their neighbors the Elves were similarly equipped with Human accouterments, so I looked in on them.  About half of THEM were wearing Elf leather and bone items too.  That was about when I decided that I'd found Dwarf Heaven and had my beleaguered adventurer retire in the town full of Elf-wearing humans.
Sanity is for the weak.

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 01:40:26 am »

Oh hell, that's nothing compared to the human town I found in Adventurer mode once that was surprisingly well-decked-out with Elf leather clothing and Elf bone accessories.  I half-wondered if their neighbors the Elves were similarly equipped with Human accouterments, so I looked in on them.  About half of THEM were wearing Elf leather and bone items too.  That was about when I decided that I'd found Dwarf Heaven and had my beleaguered adventurer retire in the town full of Elf-wearing humans.
The Elves consider their bodies to be merely transitional vessels until they die and become one with the trees.  And they gotta make jewelry out of SOMETHING.  Presumably the elves you encountered were stricter than those heathen savages who actually trade with the earth-murdering, tree-slaughtering, cave-dwelling savages that are the Dwarves.

But seriously, the Wood Elves from The Elder Scrolls series are like that.  Those little guys are vicious bastards, and cannibals to boot.  They're almost dorfy in their own sort of way.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 03:52:19 am »

When I set up a fortress underneath a human settlement, dismantled it piece by piece, and nobody stopped me.

The humans were eventually forced into huddling in a tiny shack I left for them, on the corner of the map. I couldn't ever figure out where the caravans came from, though.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 07:48:44 am »

I can sum up what I was thinking quite succinctly.  "Damn it, my FPS is shot to hell.  I'm not abandoning another fort to an FPS death.  Crack that seal!  Blood for the blood god!  Woo!"

To their credit, they managed to off a solid two dozen clowns from the advance wave before the whole circus arrived and overwhelmed them.
That's basically where my fort is at sometime in the next couple hours.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 08:57:20 am »

my most disturbing moment was,when a goblin crushed a baby`s skull.
with a morningstar/flail.
I am a Goober.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:41 am »

Nemesis Unit load Failed

That haunted my sleep as all I could imagine is Nemesis shooting a rocket into the DF folder.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4