Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faceearths - a temporary succession fortress (closed!)  (Read 430 times)

unchow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Faceearths - a temporary succession fortress (closed!)
« on: September 05, 2023, 06:43:42 pm »

Hello friends!

I've never been too active on these forums, but I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for quite a while. I started streaming the Steam version when it released last year, and I've been sticking to the same worldgen for this long stream series. There's two primary fortresses that we've built in this world: Elderring (named randomly, I swear), which is our civ's capital, and Faceearths, which is... this other fort.

To cut to the chase: I'm taking a short break from streaming Dwarf Fortress so that I can obsess over Armored Core for a minute, but I don't want to just forget about my fortress in the interim. So I figured, why not just let viewers (and others) have some succession turns in my fortress, and then when I return to streaming in Faceearths we'll have some interesting new stories to tell. I want to stick to the same worldgen for as long as possible (until the save breaks, probably), so anything you do in your succession turn will live on in the world of my stream in those small but neat ways that DF is so good at.

However, I am a very small streamer. Tiny tiny. I've reached Affiliate with Twitch but that's about it. So I don't have a large number of viewers who are wanting to actually play in this fortress. I have one intrepid viewer who is taking a turn currently, but he's a bit green in the world of Dwarf Fortress. It sounds like he's doing fine but he did mention five children getting kidnapped. I didn't even know we had that many children, honestly.

So this is your official invitation! Come one come all! Take a turn in Faceearths and leave your mark on the Plane of Winds.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have:
  • a 1x1 embark with no mountain
  • central waterfalls
  • infinite silk
  • functional garbage disposal
  • too many crafts
  • magma forges
  • a menagerie of beasts
  • a lot of goblin neighbors

This fortress is quite developed. Actually, this is probably the best fortress I've ever made. There's quite a lot of history in this fortress that I could spend some time relating to you, but the main thing to know is that this was a tiny fort for the majority of its history. I had the 1x1 embark, but also a 50 civilian pop cap, and that has done wonders for FPS. Most of the stream in Faceearths has run at 50 FPS, and we've been creeping down into the 30s only now that I've increased our pop cap up to 120. Conscripts got to come from somewhere, after all.

I edited down a portion of the last stream I did in Faceearths into a little fort tour. This should show you the ins and outs of what's going on in this fortress, and hopefully help you know if you would find playing here interesting or not. You're also welcome to just watch if you want.

This fortress would be perfect for someone who understands Dwarf Fortress but has a hard time getting to fortresses that feel stable or developed. It would also be perfect for devious little gremlins who want to break my toys. Or maybe you want a testbed for your new goblin trap? We have plenty of goblins, and very little power to devote to killing them. Players of all experience level and playstyle are welcome.

So that's it, that's the pitch. I can write up some of the notable stories that have occurred here if there is interest, such as that time a necromancer wanted to help out but made everything worse. I'm primarily organizing this through my discord but I'm happy to coordinate from these forums as well. Just peep up here and I'll put you on the list. My "turn 0" save is already up on DFFD in case you want to take a look, and future turn saves will go there as well.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, this is a temporary offer! I will eventually take this fort back and resume my stream. The timeline for when that happens will kind of be determined by how much (if any) interest there is in succession mode, so if you're interested then speak up before it goes away!

You can join my discord if you would like
Or here's the full Faceearths VOD playlist if you have nothing better to do
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:41:30 am by unchow »

unchow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faceearths - a temporary succession fortress (closed!)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 11:41:17 am »

Well I'm going to put a big ol' "I tried" sticker on this one, but no worries! I'm closing this little endeavor for now but feel free to let me know if this is a concept that you'd like me to return to in the future. I think my next goal is to do some Dwarf Fortress "golf"...

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 02:02:28 pm »

Sorry. I'm at like full capacity schedule wise IRL although it does sound very interesting

I wish we had a way to connect more people from the steam and reddit pages to here because I feel like most people enjoy community games once they get into them.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 03:44:03 am »

Ah I missed it too.. best of luck for your streams
[
quote author=Maloy link=topic=181993.msg8499784#msg8499784 date=1694286148]
Sorry. I'm at like full capacity schedule wise IRL although it does sound very interesting

I wish we had a way to connect more people from the steam and reddit pages to here because I feel like most people enjoy community games once they get into them.
[/quote]
For sure.. i wonder if some kind of forum/chat integrated with the game would have been worthwhile..
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness