Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The Life and Times of Reginald Goblinstomper, Elephant at Large.  (Read 50594 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Life and Times of Reginald Goblinstomper, Elephant at Large.
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2015, 12:02:49 am »

Holy digbeard-deities, Reginald Goblinstomper stomps again?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2015, 06:50:11 pm »

The grin on my face from seeing this in my list of updated topics defies description. Huzzah!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:27 pm »

The digbeards have begun constructing a stairwell down from the clear floor; I am not sure what the purpose is since the only thing down there are corpses, mounds of clear stone, stone dust, dust that used to be demons, assorted other types of dust, and whatever native rock remained after their excavations. As the stairwell descends, floors are being built around them. The rate this proceeds at is utterly astonishing and I suspect that it will not be long before the entire area is reconstructed. Their ability to build while hanging upside down above a void is admittedly impressive though the ability to feel fear would require more sanity than they possess.

The construction of the stairs was slightly paused and there was a great deal of excitement when a gigantic anteater that seemed to be made out of slime emerged from a side tunnel far below us. It descended down to the lowest level, stood for a moment among the vast field of demon corpses and stone, uttered an echoing bellow that I strongly suspect was a particularly powerful vulgarity in its own language, and made a hasty exit back into the tunnel. It has not been seen since; the excitement passed and the build resumed.

Some of the digbeards have made a game of tossing various items off the sides of the floors just to see how long it is until a distant, echoing thud announces its arrival at the bottom. I would dismiss this as a useless waste of time except for the fact that a straggling falcon demon caught a heavy stone table to the face so it does have some apparent military value. I assume the poor fellow was a scout sent out to find out what happened to the first wave of the invasion. I can only hope he wasn't a peace envoy since, as Solon explains it, the usual method is to bring the opposing party to the table and not the other way around.

Next time: Reginald in Hell or Business as Usual.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2015, 01:54:25 am »

Love the Rocky and Bullwinkle style preview lines.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2015, 03:23:16 pm »

By Armok's Beard, I had never expected to see this epic tale concluded. I shall follow the proceedings with baited breath. :D
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2015, 12:32:41 am »

Reginald how we have missed you dearly.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dwarf McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2015, 10:49:32 pm »

Holy cow, Reginald! I remember back when it first started. I feel old coming back now.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2015, 12:34:08 am »

The stairwell has been completed and the reason for the construction has been revealed. The digbeards have began butchering and making meals out of the various, apparently edible corpses lying around in the deep. I assume that they are edible at any rate as the digbeards display a surprising range when it comes to diet. Some of the corpses require very little preparation as well; particularly where tenderizing is concerned. I should be appalled, both by that morbid "joke" on my part as well as the entire situation, but I can't be surprised by anything these days. I fear that I have become used to tragedy in my time here.

So the digbeards have substituted one form of butchery for another. They are occasionally interrupted by the occasional visitor from the nether regions of the world but have began working on ways around this. Out of sight, out of mind for one thing since they have thrown up rooms around and over the pits that the various fiends emerge from. You would think that the ghastly wailing that accompanies said emergence would be a warning sign, but no. Another is that they have put my esteemed colleague, Mr. Tame Giant Cave Spider, Esquire, to work alongside rings of strange combination of cages and rocks near the exit of one of these rooms. They have constructed a fairly nice collection of these creatures in those cages up above. Most seem susceptible to these tricks but there have been a few narrow escapes for Tame as some of them seem utterly immune to his webbing. These are dealt with by a handful of rockclads that usually remain nearby apparently for just that purpose and he is occasionally give leave from duty as a replacement is switched in if available. Presumably even a digbeard can tell when a Giant Cave Spider is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Would that they could see the same in an elephant.

Next time: Inferno or Heffalumps and Woozles.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2015, 10:25:34 am »

Quite the story!
I simply cannot wait to see what happens next!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2017, 01:52:39 pm »

By the method previously described, the digbeards have assembled a motley assortment of caged beasties that they have been temporarily storing in a small area nearby cleared off for just that purpose. As a general rule, I avoid closing with that sea of cages. Even by footrest standards, the smell is just appalling but it pales in comparison to the language, who roils the air constantly. Such vulgarities that there is no real point in trying to engage them in polite, intelligent conversation. Or even other forms of conversation; though I will admit to watching, from afar but with delight, an attempt by Eydri, which actually managed to silence the mob for a while. I was not close enough to hear his side of it but it was apparently enough to stun them into a temporary vituperative desistance. That or they suffered a collective, massive stroke from the sheer stupidity. I have spoken with Eydri before you remember. The all-too-brief quiet was simply delicious and, even more delightfully, is replicated every time they see him approach. Eydri rarely comes down here since navigating a steep stairwell with those heads is an understandable challenge but the other animals try to talk him into coming down more often.

As time marches slowly on, the regions the demons can emerge from diminish and the ensemble begins to shrink as the cages are taken elsewhere. The digbeards have constructed several areas for them up above where the cages can, by some trick of their foul digbeard magic, be opened from a distance and allow the inhabitant to stroll around. Some of these areas are behind thick walls of clear rock so that the digbeards can gape at them and jabber on. Others have been dropped into narrow shafts on the far outside edge of the footrest that ring it in a great circle. The purpose of this, I cannot guess. Perhaps they fear someone digging into the footrest from without and these demons are unwitting guardd- no, that is too stupid even for the digbeards to imagine.

The crowd dwindles and then one day, only a single cage remains. I cannot fathom the reason that it is left; perhaps the inhabitant is one that they do not feel the need for. Whether because they have a sufficiency of that type to gawk at or because they are generally unimpressed with his kind. He looks rather like a weasel that has been walked over by a herd of yaks. I believe that I shall attempt to engage him in conversation soon; solitude might have softened him.

Next time: Woozle wozzle or I didn't do it.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2017, 06:27:22 pm »

Holy digbeard-deities, Reginald Goblinstomper stomps again?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2017, 09:00:09 pm »

Huzzah!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2017, 01:09:14 pm »

Huzzah!
Monk12?! What are you doing outside the Legendary Hall?  Get back in your cage ya lazy bum.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2017, 10:07:20 pm »

Huzzah!
Monk12?! What are you doing outside the Legendary Hall?  Get back in your cage ya lazy bum.

Oh no, I've been spotted! I must flee back to the shadows from whence I came!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10