Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wanna know something interesting?  (Read 8456 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Wanna know something interesting?
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »

I found out that if you tried to play DF off of a 4GB flashdrive it freezes, CONSTANTLY.

So for a good 2 hours I was wondering why the latest vertion of DorfFort wouldn't work for me.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Wanna know something interesting?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:07:57 pm »

Huh. Most people can play DF fine off a USB. Saving is slow, but it works fine otherwise.

Init settings?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:34:28 pm »

Huh. Most people can play DF fine off a USB. Saving is slow, but it works fine otherwise.

Init settings?

It might just be my flashdrive, it's been beat to hell, washed a few times, and stepped on.

But it works just fine most of the time!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:19:27 pm »

It might just be my flashdrive, it's been beat to hell, washed a few times, and stepped on.

Well There's your problem!
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 03:00:13 am »

Flash drives also vary wildly in speed. Don't expect a cheap knock-off one to be fast!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:29:40 am »

I played DF for quite a while off of a 4GB Cruzer with no issues (other than the slow saving - seriously, like go get a sammich every season). There are dramatic differences in speed (and quality) of flash drives, so be sure to get a good brand and ensure USB2+ support.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:52:56 pm »

Also not all USB jacks support USB2.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:13:14 am »

Flash drives are weird. It took a trip in the washing machine for mine to actually WORK.
くコ:彡

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:36 am »

I always turn off seasonal saving, its annoying and clutters up the save screen.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:20 pm »

Flash drives are weird. It took a trip in the washing machine for mine to actually WORK.

See, this is why I buy OCZ stuff.  Solid aluminum case.  First thing I did was try to snap it in half (which two of my last three USB drive I broke that way, and one belonging to a friend*).  It's also been through the washer and dryer.

*The friend's one I broke I broke because it was in the back of my laptop and I tipped my laptop up (to look at the bottom for whatever reason) and the drive was crushed against my leg.  I never even felt it.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:03:06 pm »

See, this is why I buy OCZ stuff.  Solid aluminum case.  First thing I did was try to snap it in half (which two of my last three USB drive I broke that way, and one belonging to a friend*).  It's also been through the washer and dryer.

*The friend's one I broke I broke because it was in the back of my laptop and I tipped my laptop up (to look at the bottom for whatever reason) and the drive was crushed against my leg.  I never even felt it.
I did that to my USB wireless. Major FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU moment. Now I always use a hub with a very small cable extension.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 05:06:08 pm »

I had a usb card reader I kept a 16GB SD card in.

I stepped on it. It snapped in half.

On the upside, I found out what the inside of an SD card looks like.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:27:23 pm »

Uggh, why can't people give informative names for their threads? I wanted to know something interesting and then get this.

Sorry for complaining but it's for a good cause.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 06:11:41 pm »

I did that to my USB wireless. Major FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU moment. Now I always use a hub with a very small cable extension.

I was all "Oh shit."  And he was "nah, I've done that.  I've got a soldering gun at home, I can fix it.

Then I did (almost) the same thing to mine a week later.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 06:27:13 pm »

Remember that a USB flash drive is the replacement for a floppy disk.

You didn't store the only copy of something important on a floppy disk, did you?  :P

My fortresses are saved on a raid1 of HDD's. OS is on a raid0 of SSD's.
Pages: [1] 2