Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wanna know something interesting?  (Read 8458 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wanna know something interesting?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 06:38:39 pm »

Oh, mine still works.  Just the contacts inside came apart, so it only works if I'm forcing it in the opposite direction that I broke it.

So I bought a new one.

But yes, nothing irreplaceable on them.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 08:26:18 am »

See, this is why I buy OCZ stuff.  Solid aluminum case.  First thing I did was try to snap it in half (which two of my last three USB drive I broke that way, and one belonging to a friend*).  It's also been through the washer and dryer.

I bought the metal cased (titanium) Cruzer once. Went to pull it out one time, got a shock, and it was GONE. I will avoid metal casing on flash drives in the future.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:29:06 am »

See, this is why I buy OCZ stuff.  Solid aluminum case.  First thing I did was try to snap it in half (which two of my last three USB drive I broke that way, and one belonging to a friend*).  It's also been through the washer and dryer.

I bought the metal cased (titanium) Cruzer once. Went to pull it out one time, got a shock, and it was GONE. I will avoid metal casing on flash drives in the future.

That kind of sucks.  But OCZ has been recommended from multiple sources, and they seem to know how to build a good flash drive.  I can see some plastic in the case on mine, but I am unable to determine how thick it is, or what it covers.  I suspect it serves as an insulator.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 09:31:06 am »

That kind of sucks.  But OCZ has been recommended from multiple sources, and they seem to know how to build a good flash drive.  I can see some plastic in the case on mine, but I am unable to determine how thick it is, or what it covers.  I suspect it serves as an insulator.

Please note that I loved that drive - it wasn't a complaint or recommendation. Just noting that I will always be paranoid (regardless of brand) of metal casings on flash drives purely from a static perspective.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »

Fair enough.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »

On a barely-related note, I have come to love using Dropbox to store my DF and utilities. It's fast because it's local, and I can then play DF anywhere I have Dropbox installed.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:40 pm »

Please note that I loved that drive - it wasn't a complaint or recommendation. Just noting that I will always be paranoid (regardless of brand) of metal casings on flash drives purely from a static perspective.
Sorry dude, but I'm going to have to peg that one on you. You should always cut off data transfer and power transfer before using an ejection program before you take a USB out.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 02:56:16 pm »

Sorry dude, but I'm going to have to peg that one on you. You should always cut off data transfer and power transfer before using an ejection program before you take a USB out.
USB is by design able to be removed during computer being on (of course, it still is unadvisable removing it while pendrive is working). And forget about turning off and later on computer just to pull out modern equivalent of diskette.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 04:21:50 pm »

Peg me all you want - the static discharge blew the controller out of it - it didn't corrupt the transfer. After I re-inserted the drive, it wouldn't even mount.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:19 am »

Peg me all you want - the static discharge blew the controller out of it - it didn't corrupt the transfer. After I re-inserted the drive, it wouldn't even mount.

He means that because you didn't do the "unmount external drive" thing that the USB stick was still powered, therefore the static discharge blew something and that having "unmounted" it that wouldn't have occurred (you may have still shocked yourself, but that's it).

But I don't know for sure.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 11:10:07 am »

Even unmounted, I've never seen one of my USB drives "unpowered". My current drives (Cruzers still, but plastic) still show a pulsing light even when unmounted.
Pages: 1 [2]